New owner 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 crew quad cab: what should I check?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

valkyrie_rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dear friends

New owner here looking for advice, just got a used 2010 Ram 5.7L hemi 4wd quad cab with 124K miles and was looking for what are the recommended maintenance jobs and items to inspect in a high mileage truck.

I don't know much about its maintenance history, so I guess that makes the task harder.

The key fob remote wasn't working, but replacing its battery did the trick.

I next started by replacing the oil/filter, air filter and filling the coolant reservoir (it was on minimal). It also seems that the oil filter was wrong (?it was way smaller than the Purolator I've installed).

I took the truck for a short road trip (600 miles) to Yosemite NP and it behaved well (made 17mpg on the way to the park and 18mpg coming back home) with snow tires.

The 4 wheel drive (as also low) engages fine but I didn't have much snow to drive in Yosemite (is being a quite dry winter).

I had one small issue in the trip that the keyed gas cap got stuck but a mallet and a screwdriver solved the problem and a regular gas cap went in.

I looked today and it seems this truck doesn't have a cabin filter, I'm planning next to do the hack and install one this weekend.

So if was you, what would be the items to inspect/check?

OP
OP
valkyrie_rider

valkyrie_rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the old one even the correct oil filter? It was covered by what looked like oil (I wonder if it was leaking...?)
oil_filter.jpg oil_filter00.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
valkyrie_rider

valkyrie_rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I was planning to do next:
a) Transmission fluid change (with the 2 filters).
b) Spark plugs change.
c) Brake pads change/brake fluid flush.
d) Steering fluid change.
e) AC cabin filter hack (it came without a filter).
f) Differential fluid change.
g) What else?

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like you are covering all the things I would. If your new to the Ram or Hemi pick up a swivel spark plug tool on amazon for 13 bucks. Your back will thank you. Good lookin truck!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nice color, enjoy your ride. Looks like you have a great plan for maintenance.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio