New owner - oil change question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chuck otto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info using the freezer bag over the filter, what a mess. Oil type,I used Castrol Edge in all my vehicles. Got 275000 out of a pt cruiser on this stuff. Always change at 3-5000 mi.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info using the freezer bag over the filter, what a mess. Oil type,I used Castrol Edge in all my vehicles. Got 275000 out of a pt cruiser on this stuff. Always change at 3-5000 mi.

I’ve never tried the freezer bag method. Might have to consider that next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Two important things to have---freezer bags and a bag of kitty litter---
Jay

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do make sure you fill your filter with oil before installing it. I use brake cleaner to clean any oil spots on steering rack

I don’t think it’s totally necessary since it is a rather small filter but it certainly is a good thing to do.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Got it done. Thanks everyone.
You guys were right, getting the old filter off was very difficult. But it's complete!
Plastic bag trick was also a good idea
Sweet!!! I love the feeling of doing my own work, I know for sure it was done right and that my baby got the best fluids.
Welcome to the DIY club :)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
But I read somewhere that said Mobil 1 filters were like the bottom of the barrel in quality.

If you have access to that criticism post it up, I keep an open mind. My info is there are very good filters, you can read filter test in my sig, and many youtubes usually have them near the top in quality. There are better filters that do cost more, but for that medium range and often on sale, not a bad choice for the 10k mile interval.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have access to that criticism post it up, I keep an open mind. My info is there are very good filters, you can read filter test in my sig, and many youtubes usually have them near the top in quality. There are better filters that do cost more, but for that medium range and often on sale, not a bad choice for the 10k mile interval.

That’s just what I heard. I would hope that with a trusted name of Mobil 1 that they would be good filters.