New owner questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ninhalo5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I just recently bought my first pickup, a 2007 Ram with the 5.7, I’m used to driving German cars, a 97 Grand Cherokee with 4 coil springs, Freightliner and yard trucks, so a pickup is totally new to me and I have 2 questions to start.

First, I’ve noticed this truck seems awfully bouncy and has a good bit of sway and roll, to me going down the highway feels about the same as sitting on a anchored boat in the river, I’m thinking the suspension might need a overhaul or is this normal?

Second question is with towing. My truck has a towing package but no under dash brake controller for trailers, does this truck need one installed or is it controlled by the truck itself?

The truck just passed inspection and was purchased at a real Dodge dealership, not one of those buy here pay here places. The dealership has a good name, so I would think any issues would not have been passed.
Thank you

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Unloaded pickup trucks do have some bounce and sway. They are sitting on top of an unloaded suspension.

It may be that the shocks need replacing. Also, you can get stiffer swaybars for the front and rear that will help immensely with the handling. Lastly, some of the suspension bushings are probably extremely worn if they haven't been replaced.

The truck, without a brake controller, will not operate the trailer brakes. There are some good aftermarket brake controllers available that can be added to your truck.

None of these "issues" would require any dealer action to legally sell the truck.

OP
OP
N

Ninhalo5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you, I do have a controller I put in my Jeep, so I’ll just move that over to the truck.
I should be covered with the suspension as well, I have a 30 day dealer warranty and a bumper to bumper add on warranty.
I’ll talk to the dealer about it, I noticed after I bought it the driver side rear door actuator and the horn at the wheel is not working as well. They said it shouldn’t be a problem to get those fixed.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You didn't mention how many miles are on the clock, remember you are dealing with an 11 or 12 year old truck and do not know how much life is left in the shocks and struts.

OP
OP
N

Ninhalo5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s just it, theres really no telling if the parts are all original or not, so Mileage on any of these parts is a guessing game.
What Maddog said about the suspension being unloaded makes sense. My BMW needs preloading when setting up new suspension, without it there will be bounce and sway and within a few days of driving the parts will start to fail, whereas with a truck the opposite makes sense. If the suspension is preloaded when putting on new parts, it’ll bottom out later when adding hauling weight. So more weight, more stability.

vwmaniaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a truck like yours with the towing package. There is a blue plug in front of the parking brake and a cable that you can buy that plugs into it for your brake controller. Easy-peasy. As for the suspension, mine was not very smooth till I put some gas-magnum Monroes on mine and it is awesome. Everybody that rides in my Laramie loves the ride. It has 202K on it now. Great truck.

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Thank you, I do have a controller I put in my Jeep, so I’ll just move that over to the truck.
I should be covered with the suspension as well, I have a 30 day dealer warranty and a bumper to bumper add on warranty.
I’ll talk to the dealer about it, I noticed after I bought it the driver side rear door actuator and the horn at the wheel is not working as well. They said it shouldn’t be a problem to get those fixed.
My driver side passenger door actuator does not work either. Did they fix it?
Any tips on how they did or how too.
It only works when manually pushed or pulled.
Does that mean its possible the actuator itself is bad or could be wiring?