New owner with a weak AC/heat fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdavila99999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I hope your dealership will do something for you. I have an appointment on the 5th, so I will let you all know how that turns out. It definitely has a hard time keeping up with the 90 degree heat

Let us know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I hope your dealership will do something for you. I have an appointment on the 5th, so I will let you all know how that turns out. It definitely has a hard time keeping up with the 90 degree heat
Lol 90, we already hit 100 buddy!! But yes I will post here. Picking it up tonight

jdavila99999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you upload a video of it flowing correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OzarksRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not knowing exactly how much air you are actually getting through the vents I don't know if its a problem or just a how it is but I have always thought my A/C was bad for a new truck. When it gets into the high 80's and above it seems like my AC can't keep up. The vents in the back barely push out any air when its on high. I have taken my kid out of his car seat before and he has been soaked with sweat. Its not as bad on long trips because it will eventfully cool down but it takes a long time and you can never turn the fan speed down. I wonder if its a MOPAR thing. I thought the same thing with my Dodge Dakota, moms jeep Liberty and her Jeep Commander. I noticed a big difference going to my Ram vs my 05 Chevy.

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live up the highway from you, and I've been using the AC as well on my '17.

I find the AC and fan flow a little weak, but better than my '07. I ALWAYS use the recirculator when running the AC (I presume you do too - if you said so, I missed it, sorry) - when the sun is bearing down on the dash, yeah it takes a bit to cool down, and in the blaring, clear-sky full-bore Colorado sun, it only JUST keeps up. I actually haven't even tried MAX AC yet.

When I get in after it's been sitting in the sun, I drive it around with all the windows down for a spell, and open the rear slider, to get the hot air out, before I roll them up and turn on the AC. I think that helps a bit.

gilleydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 ram larami
Engine
I have a 17 ram and the air condition air is 50*( gage in vent ) out of the vents on a 90 degree day is that about right ????

Last edited:
OP
OP
sdyk

sdyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not knowing exactly how much air you are actually getting through the vents I don't know if its a problem or just a how it is but I have always thought my A/C was bad for a new truck. When it gets into the high 80's and above it seems like my AC can't keep up. The vents in the back barely push out any air when its on high. I have taken my kid out of his car seat before and he has been soaked with sweat. Its not as bad on long trips because it will eventfully cool down but it takes a long time and you can never turn the fan speed down. I wonder if its a MOPAR thing. I thought the same thing with my Dodge Dakota, moms jeep Liberty and her Jeep Commander. I noticed a big difference going to my Ram vs my 05 Chevy.

It is hard to quantify just how much air is coming out. I can barely feel if I point it at myself unless I put my hand in front of it. I've tried max ac and the recirculator. Maybe this is normal for Mopar? Either this is a common problem, or the airflow just sucks.

I'm not like getting cooked alive or anything, it is just pretty underwhelming, especially compared to my civic. I just ordered a hand held anemometer (wind speed measuring tool) off Amazon so we'll see just how much less it blows compared to my civic and then I'll also take it to the dealer to test it on another 1500.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't mean to be a smart ass but are you guys sure you're vents are actually open? There's a wheel below the vents that you can open or close vents plus the loover to change direction.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
sdyk

sdyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Don't mean to be a smart ass but are you guys sure you're vents are actually open? There's a wheel below the vents that you can open or close vents plus the loover to change direction.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My vents are definitely open. I also have the rear vents closed to get better air circulation in front

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the 7 speed and on max it will part Trump's hair !!!
You definitely have an issue .

Imo it could be one of two things the HVAC control module located behind the passenger side dash air vent , or the A/C control bezel benith the radio .

Your dealer will most likely be zero help , you'll probably get the same ol same ol response " um seems purty good to me "

Maybe you'll get better service with Ramcares involved ...

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
sdyk

sdyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ok here is an update for all who are interested...

I took the truck into the dealer today and they told me it was operating as normal. So I asked to sit in another truck just so I could have some peace of mind that it wasn't just MY truck with mediocre fan speed. They let me sit in another truck that was basically the same as mine and the fan speed was within .5 mph of mine on the same settings coming out of the same vent.

So.. basically the fan speed on the '18 crew cabs is just sub par and nothing can be done about it OR the truck I happened to sit in also had the exact same issue (I don't think it is likely).

For anyone who is interested the fan speed I was getting on the highest speed with all vents open out of the right drivers side vent was between 13-14 mph. For reference, my '18 Civic blows 18-21 mph and definitely cools down significantly faster (granted it is a much smaller vehicle).

FS_Vaprco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with above findings and it seems is a problem with a lot of newer Ram owners. Dealer is unhelpful, blames the weather or says its normal, mines a 2018 Limited , mega cab and the fan speed though isn't great should be ok if it got cold...and it's not cold, it's cool....and occasionally gets cold but most of the time is blowing cool....if your setting in parking lot on 95 degree day it will barely keep comfortable inside and certainly not comfortable for back seat passengers. If I change from "LO" to 70 degees on temp there is no feeling change in air temp coming from vents. This is on recir max , for a 66000.00 truck this is unacceptable and a dealer to not acknowledge the obvious deficiency is even worse. I have multiple other brands that will freeze you out after five or ten minutes regardless of outside temperature , a 2004 Silverado, 2007 Yukon Denali, 2012 Yukon Denali, 2014 Nissan Altima (sons) , 2011 Kia Sorento (daughters), 2015 Lexus GSF wifes , ALL have superior cooling! Love the Ram but the A/C is ridiculous …… I'll be going to another dealer in my area next week to see if their any better or full of excuses like the one today.

maddog49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed this as soon as I got my 16 with a 7 speed fan. Even running recirculating and Max on a 90 degree day takes quite awhile to cool the cab and never really gets it really cold. The backseat is always quite warm for passengers. My 06 acura TL can freeze you out, as can our 15 honda oddessey. What temps are you guys getting out of your vents with Max AC on for awhile?

Elcy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Time to dig up a zombie thread....

I have an '18 2500 w/ the 4 speed A/C fan, less than 2000 miles. A/C blows nice and cold, but yesterday I noticed that the air coming out of both the driver's vents seemed weaker than It has in the past month of ownership. The passenger side left vent was blowing MUCH harder, and my daughter said the passenger right vent was weak too. I normally have the passenger vents closed when I'm in the truck alone, and it is 110+ here right now, so I can't say for sure the air speed has changed on me, but there is no doubt a significant difference between the 1 vent and other 3. I'll add it to my list of things for the dealership to look at when I go in for my 1st oil change, but would be interested in real world opinions.

twolabsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have no issue with this old threat being active. I still suffer with weak airflow from open vents. It makes a lot of noise but the flow isn’t there. Dealerships (three so far) and FCA have not been any help. “I can feel air coming out” is usually what they say. Grrrrrr.

Has anybody come up with a helpful solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro