New phone, can I use remote start app?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAASON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie purchased new.

As I was taking delivery the salesman asked if I wanted to add an app on my phone for remote start so if I was out of range with the key fob I could. At that time I did not have a smart phone so that option wasn't available to me.

For Christmas my wife and kids gave me a smart phone, iPhone 14? Can I still add the app for the remote start? I did not continue the subscription for the Uconnect (or whatever I had the free subscription to) so does that make a difference? How do I go about setting it up?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
uConnect subscription feature only and, frankly, not worth it.
If you still had the trial period of Uconnect, you could set it up but ,even then, its nothing to write home about.

Wifes Ford Explorer phone enabled, remote start is much better and it is free with the car.
Basically, RAM Electronics jsust plain suck and are generations behind the other brands.
Good thing they still have the Hemi

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I got the free trial period of uConnect on my 22 when I picked it up 3 months ago. Never used it on my phone once. I'm getting the "expiring soon" emails now, and will be glad to see it go. Emails like the one I got the other day saying "your truck has 800 miles on it now, time for a dealer service" kind of **** me off, both because I obviously do not need service and because I don't want Ram that much into my business.

TRK_GANG74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie purchased new.

As I was taking delivery the salesman asked if I wanted to add an app on my phone for remote start so if I was out of range with the key fob I could. At that time I did not have a smart phone so that option wasn't available to me.

For Christmas my wife and kids gave me a smart phone, iPhone 14? Can I still add the app for the remote start? I did not continue the subscription for the Uconnect (or whatever I had the free subscription to) so does that make a difference? How do I go about setting it up?
I have the remote start app and like it. Useful at work when I’m parked 1/2 mile from my 19 Laramie everyday. I have it on my 14 Pro Max and other phone.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Can I still add the app for the remote start? I did not continue the subscription for the Uconnect (or whatever I had the free subscription to) so does that make a difference? How do I go about setting it up?
As mentioned above, the remote start by the app is a subscription only feature. As lots of people will report the factory app isn't the most reliable although others have no issues.
If remote starting you vehicle by your phone is what your looking for, check into the aftermarket as the subscription costs are much less.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Uconnect, no matter which name they currently use ,is not worth the monthly charge

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I see a lot of haters of Uconnect, but I kept mine on 2 vehicles. It works fine for me as long as you have a cell signal at your phone and where the vehicle is sitting. Plus you need to meet requirements like enough fuel in your vehicle.
There are different levels of service, I purchase the level which has remote start, lock/unlock and sound horn/flash lights. What kept me with a subscription was when I’m at work, sometimes I am far away from my truck, and I like that I can remote start it to heat or cool it. Side advantage is the remote unlock/lock. I have used that a few times to let someone get into my truck.
Oh, make sure you don’t accidentally lock your truck with your phone in it! Uconnect can’t help then!

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
That's when it's handy to have it on your watch as well.

View attachment 510975
You know what's up! I've had Uconnect app from day one and use it alot. I just got a new Samsung watch and when I saw that the RAM app works makes it worth it to me even more. It's like real Michael Knight & Kit sh@t!

But yeah, OP the app is if you're subscribed to a plan, which pricing is negotiable and discounted if you are also a Siriusxm subscriber.

Attachments

• 16732324771955538928239840120123.jpg
    16732324771955538928239840120123.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 3

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's great having it on your watch. It does feel like Knight Rider... LOL. I have the Galaxy Watch 5 and it's smooth as silk. I just wish you didn't have to enter your pin every time you want to start or unlock and lock it. I think you can remove the pin but you have to disable all the security in the app.

Last edited: