New Power Wagon Heading to the Smoky Mountains

Power Wagon suitable to take a family of 5 on Vacation in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Pic wont show. And I even tried viewing with firefox. :(

Edit.
But it shows in here.. [emoji2369]
Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
That's the same type that I have. It says its leather wrapped. Idk

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

TexasTJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
None
Tunnel was closed because some rocks fell inside. But it had me look up how deep I could go in the water. I can go 28” on stock setup. Have you tried that yet?

Aw bummer, hopefully I didn't send you too far out of your way to check it out. I don't have a PW yet, I'm here to learn about them. I've had a Wrangler for the last 21 years, and want the PW to replace it after I pay off the wife's 4R (next year). We took the stock 4R and Tundra through the tunnel with no problem though.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Aw bummer, hopefully I didn't send you too far out of your way to check it out. I don't have a PW yet, I'm here to learn about them. I've had a Wrangler for the last 21 years, and want the PW to replace it after I pay off the wife's 4R (next year). We took the stock 4R and Tundra through the tunnel with no problem though.
The drive was amazing to get there and I was hoping for some tunnel shots... I don’t have lights on my rig yet, so it would have not been as good.

21 years?! wow. The PW is slightly larger. (Just a few inches I’m sure. Lol)

TexasTJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
None
Well the initial plan was to use the PW as a tow rig for the Jeep, but I think I may be getting rid of the Jeep next year. Yes the Jeep is quite short, and weighs less than 4000lbs.

Lickity Split

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Trailmaker,

can you expand on the ride quality of the PW? I've been considering one but I can't actually find one in my city to test drive. If I got one I'd be using it as a daily driver and urban/family hauler. I currently have (actually its my company truck) a 14' Ram 1500 quad cab. Its been great truck but find there isn't enough room in the back for my 9 and 11 year old boys and their only getting bigger. I have no real need for a 3/4 ton truck other than I can get a crew cab and a 6'4" box. My issue with a 1500 is the short box. I don't tow or haul much generally when you need a lot of storage for trips its nice to have.

My biggest concern is the ride quality. I do realize it will be harder than my 1500 but is it a lot worse or slightly worse? You had briefly touched on some rough roads in your thread and I wanted to get your opinion on how bad it actually was. I average about 100-200 kms per day and would hate to be tortured every kilometer of the way. I generally avoid driving through the city so most of my driving is highway/gravel. The roads out here aren't great but not the worst either.

And lastly I'm also looking for longevity. What ever I end up with I'd like to try and make it last for 8-10 years driving about 35,000 kms per year. This might be old school thinking but I'd like to think a 3/4 ton should have HD parts not found on a 1/2 ton. If I'm nice to it I'd like to think it would last longer. I have found a handful of PW's around Canada that are listed the same or below a comparable Rebel so for that price I'd consider it. I guess I could also consider a 1/2 ton with a truck cap for the extra space.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Hi Trailmaker,

can you expand on the ride quality of the PW? I've been considering one but I can't actually find one in my city to test drive. If I got one I'd be using it as a daily driver and urban/family hauler. I currently have (actually its my company truck) a 14' Ram 1500 quad cab. Its been great truck but find there isn't enough room in the back for my 9 and 11 year old boys and their only getting bigger. I have no real need for a 3/4 ton truck other than I can get a crew cab and a 6'4" box. My issue with a 1500 is the short box. I don't tow or haul much generally when you need a lot of storage for trips its nice to have.

My biggest concern is the ride quality. I do realize it will be harder than my 1500 but is it a lot worse or slightly worse? You had briefly touched on some rough roads in your thread and I wanted to get your opinion on how bad it actually was. I average about 100-200 kms per day and would hate to be tortured every kilometer of the way. I generally avoid driving through the city so most of my driving is highway/gravel. The roads out here aren't great but not the worst either.

And lastly I'm also looking for longevity. What ever I end up with I'd like to try and make it last for 8-10 years driving about 35,000 kms per year. This might be old school thinking but I'd like to think a 3/4 ton should have HD parts not found on a 1/2 ton. If I'm nice to it I'd like to think it would last longer. I have found a handful of PW's around Canada that are listed the same or below a comparable Rebel so for that price I'd consider it. I guess I could also consider a 1/2 ton with a truck cap for the extra space.

Thanks.

the last post after my trip summed it up “no regrets”. Why because it is an HD truck but as a Softer ride then a standard HD that’s not his place has 1500 but not noticeable if you let some of the air out of the tires (I run 55 lbs) you’ll find that the tires have a lot to do with it and the weight in the bed as well. ( I maintain 300lb with the cover and gear) when I haul a load it is even better. I would not get anything but a 19. The transmission is the difference maker. If you are looking at an 18 or older I would not be much help here but I read enough on the forum to believe I made a good choice in spending the 63K versus the 53K for my leftover 18.

I drive 18 miles one way to work each day and finish my day adding 50 miles to the OD. Most weekends I go hunting or up to the cabin 75 miles away. Is why I’m already at 8600 on the OD and I just bought it 7/6/2019
Feel free to ask or reiterate any questions I did not answer.

Lickity Split

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the last post after my trip summed it up “no regrets”. Why because it is an HD truck but as a Softer ride then a standard HD that’s not his place has 1500 but not noticeable if you let some of the air out of the tires (I run 55 lbs) you’ll find that the tires have a lot to do with it and the weight in the bed as well. ( I maintain 300lb with the cover and gear) when I haul a load it is even better. I would not get anything but a 19. The transmission is the difference maker. If you are looking at an 18 or older I would not be much help here but I read enough on the forum to believe I made a good choice in spending the 63K versus the 53K for my leftover 18.

I drive 18 miles one way to work each day and finish my day adding 50 miles to the OD. Most weekends I go hunting or up to the cabin 75 miles away. Is why I’m already at 8600 on the OD and I just bought it 7/6/2019
Feel free to ask or reiterate any questions I did not answer.

No, thats awesome. Thank you for the reply. My concern was always the solid front axle and the 3/4 ton suspension. I've watched pretty much every youtube video on the PW but they all focus on its off road capabilities. While thats all great they don't talk much about its road manors. I did watch one video that mentioned it has a softer suspension than a true 2500 but again they apply that to its off road abilities.

Last question. Do you find it too tall for some or most drive throughs or parkades? I believe I read its 6'7 tall. Is that correct? Height isn't necessarily a huge concern but its one of those things you don't realize is a PITA until you don't fit.

All and all I think I really like the truck and I like its "no frills" luxury. I don't need help backing up, staying in my lane, or breaking... Just more sensors to replace when they go out. I love the fact that you can load it up with leather, stereo, sunroof etc but keep it simple. A full center console would have been nice but obviously not possible with the floor mount 4x4 shifter. Maybe a full length half wide console would have worked.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
The truck is 6’8” on stock tires. Not a problem at the bank or drive-through but I’m my 6th 4x4 and the last 3 were about the same height, so it feels just right to me.
I too did not want a bench seat but now that I have the ability to take 6 people with me and still feel like I’m not missing anything since the arm rest is built well and not cheep. The sensors and parking cameras are very nice because the truck is big and long and the camera is it really helpful offloading and backing up trailers and hitching up to a trailer solo. I went completely loaded lacking nothing but the ram boxes. I chose not to get those so I could get the bed cover I wanted and have every bit of that 6.4 bed. the boxes are nice and have power inside which is very handy.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Trailmaker,

Thanks.

Just an FYI, but you can get a half ton crew cab truck with the 6’4” box. They are just hard to find.

And yes, ride quality is right in between a normal 3/4 ton and a half ton.

Lickity Split

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an FYI, but you can get a half ton crew cab truck with the 6’4” box. They are just hard to find.

And yes, ride quality is right in between a normal 3/4 ton and a half ton.

Not in a Rebel. I’d also settle for a sport but I’ve only been able to find a very small handful across Canada and none in my province which is why I was looking at the PW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not in a Rebel. I’d also settle for a sport but I’ve only been able to find a very small handful across Canada and none in my province which is why I was looking at the PW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True. Not in a rebel.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Tunnel was closed because some rocks fell inside. But it had me look up how deep I could go in the water. I can go 28” on stock setup. Have you tried that yet?

Bummer. The Tunnel is about 1.5 hrs from my home. I was hoping to check it out.

Rated R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good report here. The ride is better in the Rebel for sure but the PW is beasty. Commanding driving view, longer bed for the dirt bikes etc. My daughters always have their faces buried in their phones so I'm sure they won't miss the panorama roof lol.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Good report here. The ride is better in the Rebel for sure but the PW is beasty. Commanding driving view, longer bed for the dirt bikes etc. My daughters always have their faces buried in their phones so I'm sure they won't miss the panorama roof lol.
Thanks
I will report again on my Moab trip.