New Power Wagon Heading to the Smoky Mountains

Power Wagon suitable to take a family of 5 on Vacation in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So those of you that don’t know, the 19 PW come with Good Year AT at 33” and 12.5 wide. I have never owned this tire before, as I was loyal to BFG M/T and A/T but this what I have now so I will post on the condition at 4,000 miles. I expect to get 30-40 miles out of them (if I don’t go to 35s before my trip to Moab this coming spring.) A few of you have these tires and can agree/disagree with getting 40k on them. I’m currently running 65 psi. Here is a picture I took at the rest area a few minutes ago

View attachment 179416

From my understanding, they still come with 285/70/17’s like they have since 2014. No? Although they are 33”, they are more like 11.5” wide.

I got just over 20k miles with mine, then sold them for cash towards new rubber. Wanna say they were probly half worn.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
From my understanding, they still come with 285/70/17’s like they have since 2014. No? Although they are 33”, they are more like 11.5” wide.

I got just over 20k miles with mine, then sold them for cash towards new rubber. Wanna say they were probly half worn.
I thought they were 12.5. I will take a picture in the morning to upload for the record

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
You averaged just over 13 mpg over 979 miles? Am I understanding that correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
764 was my second fill up. I still half a tank. The last picture of my OD was to reference total drive to the resort in the Smokey’s. So 979 total to get us here but the truck is showing 15 mpg currently as the last 15 miles was 45-50 mph.

Most of my votes were heck yeah, but if I keep getting 13-14 mpg I’m sure that will/could change the family vacation with the PW plan.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Some of us will take the PW because it is the newest vehicle we own therefore the most reliable ( first reason I chose to take the truck instead of the suv)
Some take the PW on family vacations in hopes to off road while on the trip. ( I’m in this boat as well)
Others may have a Prius or Smart Car or something just to small (or embarrassing) to take on the trip.
As you can see so far in my tip, the the 13-14 mpg I’m getting, is not a reason to take the Power Wagon on a 2,000-2500 round trip!!

Last edited:

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Oh yeah! I will check out the US 129. Thanks
We are staying a few days at Wild Bear falls.

There are professional photographers set up along there. They take (and sell, of course) pics of every vehicle that comes along. Sometimes they even catch pics of guys on motorcycles as they crash. You should get a "glamor shot" of the PW carving the corners of the dragon. :driver: Haha!!

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
There are professional photographers set up along there. They take (and sell, of course) pics of every vehicle that comes along. Sometimes they even catch pics of guys on motorcycles as they crash. You should get a "glamor shot" of the PW carving the corners of the dragon. :driver: Haha!!
Yes I should. The pictures I’m about to post were free and it is the best the iphone an I could do

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
New con- steering wheel has some small nicks in it that is starting the peel. Might be a warranty issue by the end of this trip. If they cover hood graphics then they might cover this?

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
New con- steering wheel has some small nicks in it that is starting the peel. Might be a warranty issue by the end of this trip. If they cover hood graphics then they might cover this?

The leather wrapped wheel in my Outdoorsman started peeling when it was covered bumper to bumper. They warrantied it without hesitation.

Beautiful pics you posted!

Oh, watch those corners on the dragon, some of them are doosies. Drive safe, you wouldn't want to have to put any PW parts on the tree of shame. Lol

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
The leather wrapped wheel in my Outdoorsman started peeling when it was covered bumper to bumper. They warrantied it without hesitation.

Oh, watch those corners on the dragon, some of them are doosies. Drive safe, you wouldn't want to have to put any PW parts on the tree of shame. Lol
Thanks and thank you

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Love your thread Trailmaker. I should do this on my next road trip. I've been keeping a MPG mileage log since I first learned to drive back in the 70's. (Miles driven divided by gallons to top off = MPG.) I have done this religiously at every fuel stop. Pros for doing it manually: I feel it offers a truer and more accurate reading than the electronic gauge; when done at every stop, the driver/owner will get a better feel of the personality of the truck; knowing the actual performance of the rig can help prevent embarrassing mistakes - like running out of fuel on long trips (voice of experience - please don't ask); and gives better piece of mind about knowing the true capabilities of one's rig.

For what it's worth, I drive a 2011 Ram 2500 with the 6.7 Diesel. When I worked only 13 miles from home to work (50% hwy & 50% city miles), my MPG was between 12 & 13 MPG. In early August I changed employers and now drive 40 miles 1-way from home to work Mon thru Fri with 90% hwy & 10% city miles. My MPG has improved to 14 MPG and my hwy speeds avg 75 - 80 MPH.

My tires and wheels are "pull off's" from a new 2018 RAM Laramie 2500. The rubber is the stock Firestone Transforce street tread. The road noise is minimal and I'm sure they will get good long term miles, but they don't give me much piece of mind for off road use. Plus they tend pick up small pebbles and hold them in the narrow tread design. But I bought the set as new, (wheels and tires), for $1,000 to replace my older and original chrome steel rims and worn out Cooper tires, which I've still kept. Plan on buying new 2nd set of off road/winter tires that will have the new Snow Rating that will pass the new Nevada DMV law that states the only the New Snow Rated tires will be allowed to avoid chaining up this winter over passes like Spooner or Mt. Rose summits when snow conditions warrant the Chain Law.

Please keep us posted on your road trip travels and observations. Inquiry minds want to know. :)

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Love your thread Trailmaker. I should do this on my next road trip. I've been keeping a MPG mileage log since I first learned to drive back in the 70's. (Miles driven divided by gallons to top off = MPG.) I have done this religiously at every fuel stop. Pros for doing it manually: I feel it offers a truer and more accurate reading than the electronic gauge; when done at every stop, the driver/owner will get a better feel of the personality of the truck; knowing the actual performance of the rig can help prevent embarrassing mistakes - like running out of fuel on long trips (voice of experience - please don't ask); and gives better piece of mind about knowing the true capabilities of one's rig.

For what it's worth, I drive a 2011 Ram 2500 with the 6.7 Diesel. When I worked only 13 miles from home to work (50% hwy & 50% city miles), my MPG was between 12 & 13 MPG. In early August I changed employers and now drive 40 miles 1-way from home to work Mon thru Fri with 90% hwy & 10% city miles. My MPG has improved to 14 MPG and my hwy speeds avg 75 - 80 MPH.

My tires and wheels are "pull off's" from a new 2018 RAM Laramie 2500. The rubber is the stock Firestone Transforce street tread. The road noise is minimal and I'm sure they will get good long term miles, but they don't give me much piece of mind for off road use. Plus they tend pick up small pebbles and hold them in the narrow tread design. But I bought the set as new, (wheels and tires), for $1,000 to replace my older and original chrome steel rims and worn out Cooper tires, which I've still kept. Plan on buying new 2nd set of off road/winter tires that will have the new Snow Rating that will pass the new Nevada DMV law that states the only the New Snow Rated tires will be allowed to avoid chaining up this winter over passes like Spooner or Mt. Rose summits when snow conditions warrant the Chain Law.

Please keep us posted on your road trip travels and observations. Inquiry minds want to know. :)
Thanks for the input. I hope to add a little something each day till Sunday. I’m trying to stay relevant to the forum.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

I looked up the “tail of the dragon” and I already passed that part of the state on Sunday and planned on making it to Cincinnati tomorrow and on my return trip coming through in Nashville. But I looked it up and that road gets a lot of attention. Especially from bikes. I wish I would have mapped that in earlier.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I looked up the “tail of the dragon” and I already passed that part of the state on Sunday and planned on making it to Cincinnati tomorrow and on my return trip coming through in Nashville. But I looked it up and that road gets a lot of attention. Especially from bikes. I wish I would have mapped that in earlier.

Bummer. Yeah its a very popular destination with motorcycles and sports car clubs.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
So I had 3k on the clock an decided that I could not wait till 10k to change the oil. Back in the 90s you were to changed the oil after 500 miles and break-in was very modest driving. Well, I have not redlined, or towed yet and I changed the oil before this trip with Mobile 1 synthetic 0-40. This is the first truck that recommended synthetic. Though Royal purple would have been my first choice I could not find my weight locally.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye