New Power Wagon Heading to the Smoky Mountains

Power Wagon suitable to take a family of 5 on Vacation in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I mentioned my recovery gear last night. Here is what I have so far:
Hi-lift jac
Gloves
20k snatch block
Socket set
Tow straps
Tomahawk (w/fire starter rod)
Shackle/D-ring
Tie down straps
And oh coarse a winch.

What should I add?

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Doesn’t seem that I will have used the Power Wagon for any of its unique capabilities on this trip, so not a lot of help with research on taking a PW on a family vacation. I hoped to do some off-roading but only my 11 year old was interested. We had so much to see and do and see as a family that I did not want to take long detours. I’m planning a trip to Moab in the spring that I can document and looking for a weekend off-roading trip before then, so I can understand the capabilities of the truck and add whatever is missing.

So far my only complaint is the steering wheel is peeling. 420 miles to go...

r56ranch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice trip. My wife and I always take my 2018 PW anytime we travel. Her 2016 Lexus RX350 is very nice and gets great MPG, but we both like the room, comfort, and security of the PW. We can haul back most anything we purchase. We went to S Padre Island and drove many miles on the beach which would not have doable in the Luxus, and we bought 3 large clay pots on the way back. We always have a large YETI, fishing gear just in case the opportunity shows, ability to jump a curb to avoid a traffic situation, etc. A 4x4 PU is the only choice for travel IMOP. I couldn't care less that a $3000 vacation could have been a $2900 vacation if we went in her SUV.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Nice trip. My wife and I always take my 2018 PW anytime we travel. Her 2016 Lexus RX350 is very nice and gets great MPG, but we both like the room, comfort, and security of the PW. We can haul back most anything we purchase. We went to S Padre Island and drove many miles on the beach which would not have doable in the Luxus, and we bought 3 large clay pots on the way back. We always have a large YETI, fishing gear just in case the opportunity shows, ability to jump a curb to avoid a traffic situation, etc. A 4x4 PU is the only choice for travel IMOP. I couldn't care less that a $3000 vacation could have been a $2900 vacation if we went in her SUV.
I love the response. My thoughts exactly!
We overpacked because we could.
Brought stuff back with us that we bought and yes a little curb jumping to take advantage of the clearance.

Thanks for replying!

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I’ve noticed these things get thirstier the faster you go. With as modded as mine is, at 60-65 I’ll get 17 mpg. At 75 mph I get 13. It’s a pretty substantial difference.

View attachment 179384
Yes, with my wife driving and cruise set to 70 she maintained 15 mpg. When we go to the Nashville the speed limit was 60 and I saw a glimpse of 17mpg.

To be honest if I can drive 80-85 but only get 13 mpg, I would. Mpg take all the fun out of driving and makes it more like work.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I mentioned my recovery gear last night. Here is what I have so far:
Hi-lift jac
Gloves
20k snatch block
Socket set
Tow straps
Tomahawk (w/fire starter rod)
Shackle/D-ring
Tie down straps
And oh coarse a winch.

What should I add?
Set of road triangle is what I have plus a coyote tan first aid kit that was on sale at walmart a while back. I plan on going with great America's snitch block and mega shackles and a factor 5 end to replace the winch hook. I also have 10k ratchet straps and normal sized ones. Still need the get the tow strap, tree protector, an e-tool, etc

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Set of road triangle is what I have plus a coyote tan first aid kit that was on sale at walmart a while back. I plan on going with great America's snitch block and mega shackles and a factor 5 end to replace the winch hook. I also have 10k ratchet straps and normal sized ones. Still need the get the tow strap, tree protector, an e-tool, etc

Yes
Good additions. Thanks

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Now that my trip has come to an end and I have hindsight, I definitely would take the Power Wagon!!
Their is a few differences in the Durango 4x4 ( my other option) but not enough to out weigh the PW and the what ifs... for example:

catch a random trail, buy something big, drive the beach and throw the wet clothes and sandy shoes in the bed. Winching the truck out of the ditch that followed you on the “ shortcut “ to get around traffic. Over packing and not worried about space. Also personal preference. I like driving a lifted truck!
So I have not checked off on my own quiz yet but my answer is HECK YEAH!!

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I really enjoyed your thread here Trailmaker. Loved the pictures of your travels. I'm looking forward to your trip to Moab. That trip is in my bucket list.
I’m glad to hear I did not bore you. With out any serious off-roading, I know I disappointed some that read my title and sat down to read this book a I wrote to find I did not wheel it this trip.
I will record my trip to Moab though.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hear hear. I enjoyed this as well. When I am able to get out and do some exploring I'll be documenting on you tube.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Doesn’t seem that I will have used the Power Wagon for any of its unique capabilities on this trip, so not a lot of help with research on taking a PW on a family vacation. I hoped to do some off-roading but only my 11 year old was interested. We had so much to see and do and see as a family that I did not want to take long detours. I’m planning a trip to Moab in the spring that I can document and looking for a weekend off-roading trip before then, so I can understand the capabilities of the truck and add whatever is missing.

So far my only complaint is the steering wheel is peeling. 420 miles to go...
Glad that you had a safe trip. Enjoy Moab next Spring!

https://www.sltrib.com/news/environment/2019/04/22/moab-is-drowning-tourists/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tourists-heeding-utahs-mighty-5-campaign-overpower-moab-11568638923

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Thank you sir.
I hope to find something it Texas to test the truck on and get familiar with first. I would hate to get out there and get into a 7 or 8 class trail and not be able to complete it or damage my rig. Judging by your 2 articles you posted, it will be crowded and I prefer people laughing with me and not at me.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Thank you sir.
I hope to find something it Texas to test the truck on and get familiar with first. I would hate to get out there and get into a 7 or 8 class trail and not be able to complete it or damage my rig. Judging by your 2 articles you posted, it will be crowded and I prefer people laughing with me and not at me.
I doubt that people will be laughing at you. If you make a mistake out here, there's usually no second chance. The sheer cliffs make certain of that.

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I doubt that people will be laughing at you. If you make a mistake out here, there's usually no second chance. The sheer cliffs make certain of that.

This for sure! I am scared of heights pretty bad, and I will say there were times that I was so damn scared I got out and walked. Very sketchy trails for sure!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Thank you sir.
The Moab region is within the Colorado Plateau. If you find yourself getting into a bad situation with your Power Wagon, there are plenty of other areas here with similar terrain and features to explore.

http://www.lightrainproductions.com/Home Page/Enlarged_FedlandsCO_plateau_map1.htm

Last edited: