New Power Wagon, Oil filter looks tough to change.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Ordered Oct 10th, picked up Nov 29th. It's awesome.

Not sure about the oil filter though. I guess the best way and maybe the only way is between the winch and say bar? Anybody do it differently? It's doable, but you can't even see the thing. Prolly let it drain A LOT before trying to extract it.... If it's on there tight it's gonna be a bear to get off. :crazy:

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You have to go under the truck. I used a screw driver to punch a hole and let it drain. Theres a drip pan with a hole that catches the oil and directs it

Its a pain to get to but doable

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Screw driver, poke a hole. I just grabbed ahold with my hand and turned. Its easy, there are much harder vehicles.

OP
OP
H

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Where is the filter located? Anyone got a photo?

Front bottom pass side of engine. I had a 2017 2500 6.4L, so I knew where it was already. It's real easy without the sway bar and winch in the way. If you reach your hand up between the sway bar and winch, back about a foot you can feel it. It's directly above the little plastic pan with the oblong drain hole in it.

Not sure about the screw driver, all you have to do is loosen it and it will drain into the plastic pan and through the hole.

I'll be changing it out this week as I hit 500 miles. All I'm worried about is the gorilla at the factory they use to put the original on. If it's really on there, there isn't much room to maneuver. After the first change, it will be hand tightened only so no issues after that. I'm thinking maybe one of those three pronged adjustable removal wrenches maybe? All the "cup" style wrenches I have suck. And the limited room and lack of visibility might makes the strap style wrenches tough to use.

I change my oil and filter about every 3K, so about 4 times a year. Easier is better, and I've noticed these things are getting progressively harder every model year. The 2012 5.7L Power Wagon was the easiest to change I've ever seen on any vehicle (except a JK 6C Wrangler!)

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not sure about the screw driver, all you have to do is loosen it and it will drain into the plastic pan and through the hole.

I'll be changing it out this week as I hit 500 miles. All I'm worried about is the gorilla at the factory they use to put the original on. If it's really on there, there isn't much room to maneuver.

That's where the screwdriver comes into play... so you can un screw the gorillas work... tried all those gadgets you speak off with no success.. save your money.. those 3 pronged things just kept sliding since the angle was awkward...

Watch for the hot oil as it drips out...

OP
OP
H

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That's where the screwdriver comes into play... so you can un screw the gorillas work... tried all those gadgets you speak off with no success.. save your money.. those 3 pronged things just kept sliding since the angle was awkward...

Watch for the hot oil as it drips out...

Turns out it wasn't an issue at all. I have a Harley Davidson cap filter wrench that fit perfectly and the OEM was easy to unscrew. The new M-1 filter went on without a hitch as well. It's hidden but not in-accessible. :)

Mattv77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I used this to reach in from under the front bumper93768d61de1e2cd93cbe9dab92a30659.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
On my 2016 Power Wagon I just completed its 2nd oil change outside in winter freezing temps after it had 5,000 miles on the oil. I read from the service report that the previous 2nd owner had its first oil change completed at 8,480 miles which barely met the maximum oil change interval mileage requirement of 8,000 miles. They had to get the oil changed within 500 miles once the oil life of 100% is up which on the 6.4 is no more than 8,000 miles.

These oil filter pliers that I had already for stubborn filters took it off easily since the Ram oil filter was on very tight. Normally I use oil filter caps if they aren't on too tight.KIMG0155.jpg

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
add a snow plow mount into the mix and it's even more fun! LOL!

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
How long did you guys go before doing your first oil change?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I did my first one shortly after I got the truck, since I had no idea when/if it was ever changed.

If new, I'd probably keep the factory oil in for 3k or so, then swap out and do whatever intervals you want.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Although it's difficult to get the oil filter around the tight space behind the winch, I still pre-fill the 6.4L Mopar oil filter prior to installing it. Cover it with a small plastic sandwich bag while getting it into position, remove the bag, tilt it, and screw it on quickly.

Been doing this method since 1973 when oil filters on V8s were quart size and it took too long to fill on the first start after an oil change. Never liked dry startups and so my 1978 boat with a high performance V8 and a quart size oil filter still runs like a champ due to I treat it special during maintenance.

Last edited:

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I went ahead and changed my oil this weekend. After 2000 miles it was a qt low ( is this normal?). So instead of adding a quart, I just changed it.

Is there any way to get the old oil out of the oil cooler?

OP
OP
H

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi

I do mine at around 500, and then at 3000, and then 3-5000 thereafter. Oil and filter with Castrol 0w40 made in Belgium. For me it's not the oil breaking down that's the problem, it's the dirt and crap in the oil. The only way to clean it is to change it. I have other reasons for such a short change interval but it's along story and involves the laboratory that tested the gear housings for the US Navy's radar units. The one's that spin 24/7/365... :) And I plan on keeping the truck for as long as I can afford the gas to put in it!

Ron LaJeunesse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I use a FRAM Tough Guard filter because it comes with a nice easy grip coating which makes changing it by hand a breeze... FTG10060_Package.jpg

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i thought changing oil on these trucks was quit easy compared to some other vehicles. dont see what all the fuss is about

HandyAndy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
i thought changing oil on these trucks was quit easy compared to some other vehicles. dont see what all the fuss is about

Except the fact that you need to be contortionist to get oil filter changed [emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
man i dont know what to say if you think its difficult. theres alot worse vehicles believe me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock