New PW with clunking noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Ben 96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So, I got this new 2020 PW from the dealer. I’m at 9800km or 6200 miles on it... still pretty new!

There’s this clunking noise from time to time. 1st time at dealer, changed the links. Drove it off and the clunk was still there.

Brought it in yesterday for his 1st oil change and evaluation into the clunk. They suspected the stabilizer bar as they said there was bulletin from Dodge.

Still clunks. Got the head mechanic to test drive it. He agreed its still clunking while driving and turning. Sounds like a body clunk.

they’ll take it back again in 2 weeks and will connect cameras and sound capting devices to pin point the area.

anyone had a similar issue?

A curious new member who’s been driving Ram trucks since 2010.

carverwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
18 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
nah.....it's just Fords and Chevy's ....they make a clunking noise when you crush em with the PW. :banana-mario::biggun:......sorry I couldn't help myself !!
I'm sure they will figure it out.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
if it sounds like its in the body try to look in any cavities it could be some thing rolling around dropped socket who knows

TerrysWagon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just out of curiosity, is the noise when you’re braking?

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Dont the body mounts in some of these new trucks have an issue? Creating loud clunking noises?
^THIS^

The above is what i was going to say. sometimes when i hit bumps i get a clunking sound, which i think is the body mounts. I just havent had time to dive into it, to see if its something i can simply tighten lol.

OP
OP
Big Ben 96

Big Ben 96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
You hear it more when running slowly and turning, making the chassis twist a bit. It is not related to the breaks.
It will be something minor and stupid.

Other than this small issue, I'm loving my PW. the sound of that big block, the torque of this Hemi. The look!

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Mine does this all the time. Mainly between 2-3rd gear shifts. I thought it was normal...

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I get a little bit of drive line slop every now and then when slowing up and then hitting the accelerator again.....but nothing out of the ordinary for a HD drivetrain.

TerrysWagon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You hear it more when running slowly and turning, making the chassis twist a bit. It is not related to the breaks.
It will be something minor and stupid.

Other than this small issue, I'm loving my PW. the sound of that big block, the torque of this Hemi. The look!
I actually wasn’t thinking it was the brakes. Some of the Hemis have been known to have a “slosh” of the fuel when you hit the brakes and it sounds like a clunk. I should have been more specific ;)

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I got this new 2020 PW from the dealer. I’m at 9800km or 6200 miles on it... still pretty new!

There’s this clunking noise from time to time. 1st time at dealer, changed the links. Drove it off and the clunk was still there.

Brought it in yesterday for his 1st oil change and evaluation into the clunk. They suspected the stabilizer bar as they said there was bulletin from Dodge.

Still clunks. Got the head mechanic to test drive it. He agreed its still clunking while driving and turning. Sounds like a body clunk.

they’ll take it back again in 2 weeks and will connect cameras and sound capting devices to pin point the area.

anyone had a similar issue?

A curious new member who’s been driving Ram trucks since 2010.

this is proof for anyone needing it. dealers know nothing and just aimlessly throw parts at it. your better off figuring it out yourself. go buy some wrenches and start with body mount bolts. or go back to the dealer 50 more times until their parts cannon is out of bullets

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
this is proof for anyone needing it. dealers know nothing and just aimlessly throw parts at it. your better off figuring it out yourself. go buy some wrenches and start with body mount bolts. or go back to the dealer 50 more times until their parts cannon is out of bullets

I agree completely. I usually try to figure it out before going in, if possible. Indeed, if I can repair it, I'll do that too. I just don't trust the work of others. Good luck with the clunk.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just form reading here, Sounds like your body mounts, Mostly cab to chassis, makes sense when you are slowing down of twisting the chassis, I also have a good friend that owns a PW and he's had problems with his.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
This is exactly what mine sound like. But I think it's the rear passenger side

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

carverwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
18 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well now....that's disappointing! So whats the fix ? Are they just loose ?

Acat96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 19 Classic that does the same thing,, same noise,,
Dealer says they cant hear it,, But it's driving me crazy,,,,
Told them , it definitely sounds like a mount . They say, when we take it out we cant hear it,,, Yet everyone that gets in my truck,, All say the same thing,,, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT NOISE ,,

gruntdog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 19 Classic that does the same thing,, same noise,,
Dealer says they cant hear it,, But it's driving me crazy,,,,
Told them , it definitely sounds like a mount . They say, when we take it out we cant hear it,,, Yet everyone that gets in my truck,, All say the same thing,,, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT NOISE ,,

Beginning to think the dealer techs are deaf. I had track bar issues that were making popping noises. Everybody hears it but the dealer. Every single person that got in my truck heard it, my wifes boss heard it when I was pulling in the parking lot but not the dealer. Sad, new truck with a warranty thats pretty much useless.

dennish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Boy that could my problem also. I think it's in back then I hear it between the front seats, then I hear it when the front tire hits the curb going into my driveway. Hard to pinpoint, I go over a speed bump nothing, I go over the tar strips in the Walmart parking and I hear it. Didn't someone say that new bed bolts were suppose to be coming out in January?