New Ram 2500 CTD, no plug in- DEF question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I just picked up another 2500 and am putting mine into our growing fleet.

The new one, a holdover '18 didn't come with the heater grid pigtail plug. The question is do all CTD come with some type of DEF and fuel line/tank heater built in- or what would it need to upfit at the dealership? They're telling me there's only a heater cord that DEF won't freeze which it deserves at 11 degrees.

Help? Thanks

cuminslvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
It is my understanding that the DEF tank has a heater in it. It only runs when the truck is running. Dont fill the DEF tank all the way up so it has room to expand if it freezes, then when the in tank heater runs it will defrost it enough to keep the system going. As for the CTD I think they all come with block heaters just no pig tails. It used to be like 90 bucks for the pigtail, then you can heat the block which makes starting and warms ups easier and faster. Or so I think..

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok, thanks!

All our existing trucks came complete for cold weather. I picked this one up in a little bit south if me and it didn't have the pigtail. The dealership seemed to not know one single thing about it and my dealership didn't understand what I was asking. If it's all there I'll just have our shop mechanic do the plug install then.

Thanks!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The CTD should have a block heater, look on the passenger side of the engine (see pic). If you have the heater but not the cord, you can buy one from Geno's Garage.
All the DEF lines and tank use 12V heaters that are powered from the battery. The truck ECM does account for frozen DEF and if it's cold enough, turns the system off. If I'm not mistaken the rear fuel filter housing has a heater to help prevent fuel gelling also.1180_4086_large.jpeg

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The CTD should have a block heater, look on the passenger side of the engine (see pic). If you have the heater but not the cord, you can buy one from Geno's Garage.
All the DEF lines and tank use 12V heaters that are powered from the battery. The truck ECM does account for frozen DEF and if it's cold enough, turns the system off. If I'm not mistaken the rear fuel filter housing has a heater to help prevent fuel gelling also.View attachment 144489

You hit every question I had. Thanks a bunch!

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
The Ram w/ Cummins only comes with the heater power cord installed from the factory if it has the "cold weather package" ( or some similar name). The power cord can be purchased from amazon for a little over $20 the last time I bought one. I asked around and every person I talked to said they never come with the cord, so I ordered mine from amazon. I crawled under the truck to install it and low and behold there was already a cord on it. I sent the new cord back in return but was never credited the money and just let it go as it wasn't worth the hassle to pursue. I would have given it to someone for the price of mailing but hind sight is 20/20.