New Ram Owner! 2012 Ram 1500 Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarrionWithoutMe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good Evening/Morning!

Long time reader, decided to join to get some tips/advice from those who've owned these rigs since their dawning!

2012 Ram 1500 Sport ST, Tequila Sunrise Metallic, 4x4 5.7L, Quad Cab w/ 189K miles!! Power package, 20 inch wheels (chrome covers, I want to go to 17s), ARE Camper Shell (came with the truck).

Bought my 2012 Ram 1500, named her "Calypso", from my father to replace my 04 Silverado. Love both trucks. I got to say. I used to not be Ram fan. I worked on fleet vehicles from the Airforce base and did not like them at all. They just rubbed me the wrong way. After driving my current truck, I've turned around. There's true potential in these trucks. Well built, comfortable (for a full size truck not on leaf springs), and get a little more power stock than my Silvi 2wd. Truck was used as a fleet vehicle in Wyoming and was used primarily on the highway. Minimal idle time (iykyk).

Issue that have arrised: p303 misfire codes, exhaust leak (no lifter tick yet!). After replacing all plugs (oil covered/old copper plugs) with iridium and loosing a coil pack bolt (already replaced), p303 is still present under throttle. I've been babying the truck to not cause more damage. I've been doing searches for months on the forum and fell into a rabbit hole or two. Shopped for cam swap/MDS delete kits. Cam (NSR, its not a race truck)/Hellcat or AMS Lifters (haven't found any reviews on these but am curious because of the $250 saved), Hellcat oil pump(or Melling whichever is on sale), 5w30 Redline w/ RP filter, PowerGo headers (don't have much to spend on JBA or BBK) w/ Remflex gaskets and ARP Exhaust bolts.

Attachments

• 20220128_153454.jpg
    20220128_153454.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220128_153510.jpg
    20220128_153510.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220128_153530.jpg
    20220128_153530.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 8

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the Forum! Nice looking rig.

Ramagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome, sweet looking truck. Kinda reminds me of Go-mango. Have you tried swapping the coil packs to see if the code moves to another cylinder? Are you experiencing power loss?

OP
OP
CarrionWithoutMe

CarrionWithoutMe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome, sweet looking truck. Kinda reminds me of Go-mango. Have you tried swapping the coil packs to see if the code moves to another cylinder? Are you experiencing power loss?
The color was one of the reasons I got the truck! So unique I don't see many like it.

And I have yet to try that. No power loss under normal conditions. I recently started to get bucking at a stop just barely letting off the brake. Then after a highway on ramp I get the misfire code

Ramagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The color was one of the reasons I got the truck! So unique I don't see many like it.

And I have yet to try that. No power loss under normal conditions. I recently started to get bucking at a stop just barely letting off the brake. Then after a highway on ramp I get the misfire code
I would've too. Sounds like your cam is giving up a lobe. Try the could pack swap, if it still persists on 3 you're pretty much done. Change out all lifters, I'd use factory they've been updated since then. My BIL went through the same thing with a small shop that half azzed the repair. He never did the coild swap, and they kept telling him it was something else until they finally discovered the came lobe was toast.

OP
OP
CarrionWithoutMe

CarrionWithoutMe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would've too. Sounds like your cam is giving up a lobe. Try the could pack swap, if it still persists on 3 you're pretty much done. Change out all lifters, I'd use factory they've been updated since then. My BIL went through the same thing with a small shop that half azzed the repair. He never did the coild swap, and they kept telling him it was something else until they finally discovered the came lobe was toast.
Some good advice there. I thankfully the coils are easy to swap. I have a good shop that has done many cams on these trucks/cars even my father's old 2012 Yellow Jacket M6 car when that cam was shot (bought it that way). I'll get it diagnosed first then go from there!