New Ram owner...another wheel and tire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southbay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey guys, long time reader/lurker/drooler, first time Ram owner. Have had an '04 Dakota Crew Cab with the 4.7 since 2010 and have drooled over it's big brother pretty much the whole time I had it. It was a great, great truck, but I finally moved up to a 2013 1500.

It's had the Laramie wheels added to it at some point, with some Starfire SF 510's. For some reason the PO decided not to put the TPMS sensors in them, so I have the yellow tire warning on the dash at all time, annoying, but I plan on putting new wheels and tires on it pretty quickly anyway, so I'll buy TPMS sensors then.

I'd like to move down to a 17 or 18" wheel and have them stick out a bit more, not a lot, like 1/2 - 3/4", so I guess negative offset, how much offset should I be looking at to get a bit further out? From looking around it seems 17" wheels are more prevalent than 18". Just wanted to see some pics of what other guys were running in a 17 or 18" wheel and what size tire with them, just trying to get ideas. I'll probably go with black wheels. Eventually want to do a leveling kit, but not right away. Will 285's fit without a leveling kit or will they rub on turns?

Also, do i have to order any specific kind of TPMS sensors and do I have to go to a dealership to have it all programmed after I get them?

Couple pics of the truck and wheels below. Would love to see some pics of black wheel and tire combos you guys are running. Thanks!

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3482.jpg

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Maybe look at the Rebel wheel combo?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It costs some extra money to have the sensors swapped out. Not sure why, but it does. I went with a NAPA sensor as I prefer their electrical stuff seems to be really good. When I bought my truck back it had those things on it. If you clean them up good, you can get good money for them. I had almost brand new SRA tires on mine and I got 600 for them. I agree rebel wheels if you are going smaller. I personally like the Sport or how I did my chrome clads. I peeled the cover off, cleaned them up and then had them coated. There are lots of options out there and lots of threads about wheels and tires. Here is a picture of mine. Also yours are true chrome wheels.

tempImageQ1gamr.png

OP
OP
S

Southbay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It costs some extra money to have the sensors swapped out. Not sure why, but it does. I went with a NAPA sensor as I prefer their electrical stuff seems to be really good. When I bought my truck back it had those things on it. If you clean them up good, you can get good money for them. I had almost brand new SRA tires on mine and I got 600 for them. I agree rebel wheels if you are going smaller. I personally like the Sport or how I did my chrome clads. I peeled the cover off, cleaned them up and then had them coated. There are lots of options out there and lots of threads about wheels and tires. Here is a picture of mine. Also yours are true chrome wheels.

View attachment 240845

Treburkulosis...are you saying you pulled the plastic chrome off the wheels in your pic and then had them powder coated black? The Laramie wheels on mine are the plastic ones, took me a couple days before I reached down and felt them, was a bit of surprise but I guess the plastic ones are pretty common.

I like the Rebel wheel look, but the stock ones aren't fully black. Did find some companies that make Rebel replica wheels in black, around $165 or so each. DO the Rebel 17 X 8 wheels have a different offset than the 20" stock Ram wheels? What's a good size tire to fit hose Rebel wheels?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yours are actually chrome not chrome hub caps. I hate those rims as a non chrome guy. I had those chrome clads painted and then sold it to my dad for 3 years. Not sure what he did but they went to crap. Luckily for me when I bought it back in January he kept them. I just stripped the covers off and spent 8-10 hours I lost track to get the glue off it’s not a easy process. I was trying t save a few hundred bucks as I am a dad with 5 boys. Then I had the them coated.

2611FCBF-E544-4538-BD95-4E03C964F46A.jpeg

2D1D6503-131B-4454-9D21-10649283746A.jpeg

89C7A721-F077-4E74-AA86-67AA6F3F452A.jpeg

CB1CD6B7-67CC-419C-849F-667EBB89136B.jpeg

503A74AC-1ABC-4E8C-8E0D-39F25F5C0D17.jpeg

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
F0CB06F4-D859-47C0-A940-5FAFDCDE213D.jpeg
Hey guys, long time reader/lurker/drooler, first time Ram owner. Have had an '04 Dakota Crew Cab with the 4.7 since 2010 and have drooled over it's big brother pretty much the whole time I had it. It was a great, great truck, but I finally moved up to a 2013 1500.

It's had the Laramie wheels added to it at some point, with some Starfire SF 510's. For some reason the PO decided not to put the TPMS sensors in them, so I have the yellow tire warning on the dash at all time, annoying, but I plan on putting new wheels and tires on it pretty quickly anyway, so I'll buy TPMS sensors then.

I'd like to move down to a 17 or 18" wheel and have them stick out a bit more, not a lot, like 1/2 - 3/4", so I guess negative offset, how much offset should I be looking at to get a bit further out? From looking around it seems 17" wheels are more prevalent than 18". Just wanted to see some pics of what other guys were running in a 17 or 18" wheel and what size tire with them, just trying to get ideas. I'll probably go with black wheels. Eventually want to do a leveling kit, but not right away. Will 285's fit without a leveling kit or will they rub on turns?

Also, do i have to order any specific kind of TPMS sensors and do I have to go to a dealership to have it all programmed after I get them?

Couple pics of the truck and wheels below. Would love to see some pics of black wheel and tire combos you guys are running. Thanks!

View attachment 240840

View attachment 240841
I have 18” x 9” wheels with 35x12.5, but did do the level first & then needed 1” spacers to fix slight rub on the uca’sD6D1A5B0-4DF2-4179-8189-D658A7EFE9A8.jpeg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
2017 RAM.jpg I’m riding on 22” hurst stunner wheels. Have had them about 2 years but fixing to go back to the factory chrome clads. With 275/55/20 tires. The ride with those 22’s was not that great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
took a bit to figure out how to up load a pic...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Southbay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks for all of the responses and pics guys, love seeing what other guys do to their trucks. I'm thinking of some Rebel replicas that are 17X8 and going with a 285/70 tire, possibly 285/75. Will I get any kind of rub with either of those tires.

I can't seem to find what the offset of the Rebel replicas is, I doubt it's much if it's following factory. I'm looking for the tires to stick out like 3/4" or so, I don't think I'd need much negative offset for that, maybe not any negative offset, just less positive offste than the stock 20" Laramie wheels that are on it. Any opinions or advice is welcome. Will probably look at Falken Wildpeaks, Nittoe Terra Grapplers, Toyo Open Country's, possibly Cooper Discoverer AT3's and General Grappers also.

Looks like there is another recent wheel thread here, some good info on there I am reading through. Still would welcome anyone's opinions or experiences.

Thanks.

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all of the responses and pics guys, love seeing what other guys do to their trucks. I'm thinking of some Rebel replicas that are 17X8 and going with a 285/70 tire, possibly 285/75. Will I get any kind of rub with either of those tires.

I can't seem to find what the offset of the Rebel replicas is, I doubt it's much if it's following factory. I'm looking for the tires to stick out like 3/4" or so, I don't think I'd need much negative offset for that, maybe not any negative offset, just less positive offste than the stock 20" Laramie wheels that are on it. Any opinions or advice is welcome. Will probably look at Falken Wildpeaks, Nittoe Terra Grapplers, Toyo Open Country's, possibly Cooper Discoverer AT3's and General Grappers also.

Looks like there is another recent wheel thread here, some good info on there I am reading through. Still would welcome anyone's opinions or experiences.

Thanks.

Try this..you can out in whatever sizes you're looking at and see the changes..bottom shows clearance notes and warnings

www.wheel-tire.com/calc/