New Ram owner, can't believe how bad it is in the snow.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
New Ram owner here I can't believe how bad this truck is in the snow. Compared to the previous two Fords I had before this, the Raptor and platinum both 150s this thing is awful it's a Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 with brand new rims brand new 37 inch tires no reason it should be such slug in the snow, obviously I have four wheel drive, this thing refuses to stop and refuses to turn just terrible. She is absolutely beautiful though, I'll give her that.

First off, welcome to the forum.

Believe it, or not, everyone here is actually trying to help you out, with your problem.
Some are just not a tactful, as others. Mostly due to the way you post reads.

Your issue is Simple:
You do not understand Trucks.
No way shape or form.
this problem is not a failing, on your part. It is simply lack of understanding.
Once you get an actual understanding of truck fundamentals, then choose to do things, like buy the tires you currently have,
at that time, you can own the Failing, on your part.

Get rid of those teenage, look at me, pretend tires.
Go buy a set of real truck tires.

If you want to drive in snow, then know , you have twice the rubber on the road so each tire has half
weight, as if it only one tire per side. so, add some weight to you trucks bed.
The weight will even help with the ride characteristics.
Smooth things out, as it were.

This is a 3500, not some carolina squating truck, owned by rich dweeb.
Treat it as such.

Now, on to the reason you have a 3500 dually.

They are designed to tow.
if you tire selection is any indication,
you are in desperate need of towing fundamentals, as well.

Read, read read, than ask quetions abotu what you do nto clearly understand.

Point is to reduce those holy crap we are going to die moments, when actually towing a load with your new truck.
The ideal is to never have one of those moments.
Next best is to survive, one of those moments.
Youcan probably figure out where it goes form there.

again, welcome and ask your questions, instead of psoting blanket statements when the problem is so obvious to anyone with eyes.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for your loss, but awesome color on her.
YEAH, she thinks she is special, LOL. That Mare neva liked me, I had a Gelding. Momma could make that Mare eat outta her hand (expression). Momma used to train Appaloosas way before we met.

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Literally his second post.:killer:

Hey!

You have a nice rig, Welcome to the Forum!

The only thing I can say pertaining to the snow; The tires are nice but the wide blocks are good for mud but not snow, since they are new I would suggest just going to a good tire shop and getting the blocks 'siped' so it gives you better wet traction.

If your coming from a F-350 Dually or a Raptor keep in mind that the Ram is around 1,000lbs heavier than the Superdoody:poop: and about 2,000 more than the Rapterd. The Cummins engine is also a bit heavier than the Powersmoke engine, which could cause a bit of understeer.

Also I've never heard the term brodozer other than the diesel bros rig. I would have to say that this is more of a 'brodozer' ? lol.
Web capture_14-3-2023_235958_www.bing.com.jpeg

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Drove to work in a miserable sleet storm last week in my wife's Grand Cherokee.
I passed a Wrangler with a lift and stupid wide tires with his flashers on as he crab-walked down the road with no traction at all...
I was doing 57 mph and the thing felt like it was on rails...
The point is- even the best 4x4 is only as good as the rubber it's running on...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drove to work in a miserable sleet storm last week in my wife's Grand Cherokee.
I passed a Wrangler with a lift and stupid wide tires with his flashers on as he crab-walked down the road with no traction at all...
I was doing 57 mph and the thing felt like it was on rails...
The point is- even the best 4x4 is only as good as the rubber it's running on...
YUPPERS, why I got Falkens on my ride. Not needed for snow, but for wet roads mostly and mud in fields when I have to go out in field.,

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a single wheel crew cab long bed 2500 that I'll trade with you OP. Proven by dragging heavy gooseneck trailers through nasty snowy forest service trails. You can keep the 37's and the rims.

I'm jealous of everyone who has a 3500 dually. I'm in perpetual danger of overload with my 2500 diesel. OP got my dream rig and doesn't like it! I got his dream rig and I don't like it! It's like divine intervention that we'd find each other this way.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
Lmao comparing f150s to a long box 3500 dually funny guy. Your talking about two different animals and the cummins produces lots of torque at very low RPMs. Add about 500lbs in the bed it will be completely different. Also your wheels suck for any kind of off road performance as there is no side wall even with 37s. Ridge grapplers are a mud terrain and are not rated even close for snow. You took a great truck and ruined it for all the reasons the truck was built for.
calling ridge grapplers a mud tire is being very generous.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm reminded of the time when we had a local guy come with his CAT excavator to do some work. My father-in-law, who was a JD guy, asked him how he liked it. The guy said it was so much better than his old JD. Turns out he was comparing his (new) mid-sized excavator to a (old) small backhoe...

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
calling ridge grapplers a mud tire is being very generous.

yeah i know... I dont like Ridge Grapplers at all they were a cheap tire now expensive like everything else and not good at anything but looking good at the mall lmao

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a single wheel crew cab long bed 2500 that I'll trade with you OP. Proven by dragging heavy gooseneck trailers through nasty snowy forest service trails. You can keep the 37's and the rims.

I'm jealous of everyone who has a 3500 dually. I'm in perpetual danger of overload with my 2500 diesel. OP got my dream rig and doesn't like it! I got his dream rig and I don't like it! It's like divine intervention that we'd find each other this way.

Dream rig and ruined it.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
New Ram owner here I can't believe how bad this truck is in the snow. Compared to the previous two Fords I had before this, the Raptor and platinum both 150s this thing is awful it's a Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 with brand new rims brand new 37 inch tires no reason it should be such slug in the snow, obviously I have four wheel drive, this thing refuses to stop and refuses to turn just terrible. She is absolutely beautiful though, I'll give her that.
Hey guy's I race F1 cars and now i have a Nascrar running the F1 tracks why won't it handle the same ?????? anyone help????
You have just done the same thing by comparing a F150 single wheel rear axle and a gas engine to a 3500 dually diesel ! Then you Change wheels and tires to to rolling bricks so you have changed the ride and handling characteristics of the truck! As far as the breaking goes first off i boils down to weight of the truck you went from lets say for argument sake 2500 LBS truck to one that weighs 3500 to 4000LBS Hmmm lets do some math what do you think will stop faster 1500 to 2000 or 3500 to 4000LBS ??? I would have to say 1500 to 2000 LBS will stop faster just my math !!!!!! and tires make difference too !!! But hey that's just my experience and opinion !

Good luck with understanding what you really have the problem that you have created with your truck ! return it to stock and put really good rubber on her for the snow !

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think it is an important lesson here that going into somewhere fresh, like joining this forum, to then blast away with negativity will certainly bring out a lot of pushback. But hopefully the takeaway is that there is also some helpful suggestions in this thread like different tires and weight in the bed. Hopefully the OP sticks around to learn more about his truck, get some use under them, and then offer assistance to others in the future.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
...boils down to weight of the truck you went from lets say for argument sake 2500 LBS truck to one that weighs 3500 to 4000LBS Hmmm lets do some math what do you think will stop faster 1500 to 2000 or 3500 to 4000LBS...
I see you're from Canada so I presume you are mixing Pounds with Kilograms (1 KG = 2.2 LB). Regardless, in proportion you are correct.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
yeah i know... I dont like Ridge Grapplers at all they were a cheap tire now expensive like everything else and not good at anything but looking good at the mall lmao
they're not a bad tire if you're using them for the proper application.it's one of the few tires that come in an f load rating in flotation sizes.i'm on my second set and they perform well.however,they come off as soon as it even smells like it might want to try and frost,let alone snow.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
they're not a bad tire if you're using them for the proper application.it's one of the few tires that come in an f load rating in flotation sizes.i'm on my second set and they perform well.however,they come off as soon as it even smells like it might want to try and frost,let alone snow.

I ran Nitto recons 35x12.5R17s i got away from 17s for more load rated tire options. I will never by another set of nitto tires our weather here is too wet. I am now Running Toyo AT3 35x12.5R18 and they are load F rated and snow flake. I've been more than happy this last winter with them.