New Ram Owner Has Questions

Dodgebloke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have recently become the owner of a new, 2022 Ram 1500 (Non ETorque, 5.7 Hemi) that will be used primarily for towing a medium size boat and will not be a daily driver. We live in Indiana so don’t plan on driving up mountains or crossing deserts.

Wanting to do everything I can to give the motor the best chance of a long, happy life and hopefully avoid the “Hemi Tick” etc. issues, I have been doing some reading …… and now my head is spinning.

The internet forums are full of information that probably varies between fact, opinion and urban myth and mostly stated with such conviction it’s not easy to tell which is which, so I’m hoping the more learned folks here can help me by confirming or denying (with something substantial to back it up) some of the stuff I have read.

So, true or false:

The factory installed oil is not fully synthetic and is best replaced a.s.a.p.

The recommended 0-20 oil is specified to in order to obtain EPA fuel numbers and not because the engine specifically needs a 0-20.

Using 5-20 or 5-30 or even 10-30 is preferable.

Using a non-0-20 weight oil will not void the warranty.

Redline oil is the best oil currently available.

Oils by PUP, Amsoil and Mobil1 are perfectly fine but not as good as Redline.

The stock Mopar oil filters are cellulose based and not particularly high quality and are best replaced by a synthetic version from RP, Fram Ultra etc., larger the better, depending on what will fit in the space.

Using a non-OEM filter will not void the warranty.

The lifters are splash lubricated and raising the idle speed by 100 RPM will enhance lifter lubrication at idle.

Raising the idle speed will not void the warranty.

Lifter wear is not caused by a lack of lubrication but because the roller bearings become gummed up with particles from the oil.

Camshaft wear is not caused by lack of lubrication but by a lack of lubricity in the oil.

Disabling the MDS feature either by reprograming or using the Gear Limit switch will enhance engine life.

All the above are things I have recently read at various places on the web. The threads/posts were pretty much all from guys who have Pre-2022 models so I guess my last question would be:

Would all of the above (whether true or false) apply to a 2022 model.

Thanks,
…W

CaliRamDude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Follow your owner manual, get a oil catch can. Replace your exhaust manifold with headers about 20k-30k in. Do not get a tuner. They do not save you money. You got 5th gen but these our the threats in the past.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a change for 2022, 0W 20 oil? Did I miss something? Did they go away from the 5W 20 recommendation for the 5.7L? 0W 40 for the 6.4 if I remember correctly. Hmmmm.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have recently become the owner of a new, 2022 Ram 1500 (Non ETorque, 5.7 Hemi) that will be used primarily for towing a medium size boat and will not be a daily driver. We live in Indiana so don’t plan on driving up mountains or crossing deserts.

Wanting to do everything I can to give the motor the best chance of a long, happy life and hopefully avoid the “Hemi Tick” etc. issues, I have been doing some reading …… and now my head is spinning.

The internet forums are full of information that probably varies between fact, opinion and urban myth and mostly stated with such conviction it’s not easy to tell which is which, so I’m hoping the more learned folks here can help me by confirming or denying (with something substantial to back it up) some of the stuff I have read.

So, true or false:

The factory installed oil is not fully synthetic and is best replaced a.s.a.p.

The recommended 0-20 oil is specified to in order to obtain EPA fuel numbers and not because the engine specifically needs a 0-20.

Using 5-20 or 5-30 or even 10-30 is preferable.

Using a non-0-20 weight oil will not void the warranty.

Redline oil is the best oil currently available.

Oils by PUP, Amsoil and Mobil1 are perfectly fine but not as good as Redline.

The stock Mopar oil filters are cellulose based and not particularly high quality and are best replaced by a synthetic version from RP, Fram Ultra etc., larger the better, depending on what will fit in the space.

Using a non-OEM filter will not void the warranty.

The lifters are splash lubricated and raising the idle speed by 100 RPM will enhance lifter lubrication at idle.

Raising the idle speed will not void the warranty.

Lifter wear is not caused by a lack of lubrication but because the roller bearings become gummed up with particles from the oil.

Camshaft wear is not caused by lack of lubrication but by a lack of lubricity in the oil.

Disabling the MDS feature either by reprograming or using the Gear Limit switch will enhance engine life.

All the above are things I have recently read at various places on the web. The threads/posts were pretty much all from guys who have Pre-2022 models so I guess my last question would be:

Would all of the above (whether true or false) apply to a 2022 model.

Thanks,
…W
The recommended oil for your 5.7 hemi is 5W20 ... I have owned 3 RAM trucks since 2013 and I have used 5W20 Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full synthetic oil along with a Mobil 1 extended performance oil filter, and never developed the hemi tick in any of my trucks ..
I didn't change the factory oil until after I put on about 1000 miles ... I also towed a 20 foot boat with an inboard without any problems ...
I'm not a mechanic so I won't go into the possible causes of the the tick, but all I can do is indicate what oil I use, that in my opinion helped me avoid getting it ... When the store I deal with is out of my Mobil 1 oil I used Castrol Edge Extended Performance synthetic as an alternative without issue ...
I bought a new RAM 2 years ago and when I was at the dealership the guy who bought my 2013, whom I know, was there and I asked him how he was liking the truck, and he stated he loved it and would never get rid of it, and, he never mentioned anything about the hemi tick so I presume it never developed ... HOPE THIS HELPS ...

OP
OP
D

Dodgebloke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@jim & Bird
The recommended oil is indeed 0-20.
It’s on the engine oil filler cap and in the owners manual. The manual makes no mention of alternative viscosity grades.
Thanks everyone for the input.

…W

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
@jim & Bird
The recommended oil is indeed 0-20.
It’s on the engine oil filler cap and in the owners manual. The manual makes no mention of alternative viscosity grades.
Thanks everyone for the input.

…W
On my 2019 the oil cap has 5W20