New Ram owner. I crossed over. I may have made the wrong choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I'm 56 and am with you (I'm a tech guy anyway) - I just wish I had more gadgets in mine. But, I'm not complaining...much ;) I've been a Dodge person for decades, with only one exception - 1994-1998 when I had a Mazda 626 lease when I moved up to the Boston area. 89 Raider (I know, I know, technically a Montero lol), 98 Durango 5.2 put 156k on it, traded what little that was left of it towards an 04 Durango 5.7 Hemi, ran that ******* into the ground - 2019 w/293k on it (in the background of my avatar), to say I "LOVED" that truck is an understatement. Sadly, I had to replace it and did so with the 19 Ram 1500 Classic, doesn't have 100% of the creature comforts the Durango had (it was a Limited after all), but, one thing I can say, is that it rides great, smooth as silk even at 105 mph and I've put it to good use over the past two years.

So, Mike, work with what you got, these guys will or already have pointed you in the right direction. Peace.
Yeah, I still believe that generation Durango was the best SUV ever built. We had a 2005 Limited. We loved that thing. Before I totaled it we racked up 8 years and 150,000 hard miles of heavy duty boat and RV trailer towing in summer and cold weather mountain snow in the winter. Only car I've ever owned that really seated 7 comfortably. 2 adults in the third row? Fine. Reclining back seats? Check. OEM drop down DVD and 5(!) sets of wireless headphones? Yep. The system even had separate tuners. Kids could listen to one system in back and adults could listen to another in front. Dash mounted GPS? Yep. Bluetooth phone? Absolutely. Easy entry folding seats. Yep. All Wheel drive. Locking 4 wheel drive. Locking axle. Low range axle for towing. The only trouble it gave us was the fuel tank, which Chrysler replaced. A true gem. Right up there with the 94 Jeep Cherokee Country that lived in the garage with it.

dgarber12771

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So what changed between Eagle and pre-Eagle 5.7's? The pre-Eagle engines didn't have a lifter or cam issue (certainly not like the Eagles. With those engines, it was valve seats), and architecturally I'm pretty sure they're the same. The only real change that I can think of is the variable valve timing on the Eagles. Did that change how the cam/lifters are supplied with oil?