New rear control arms from Freedom Offroad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
nice paint job. Rattle can? Too bad they don't offer colors from the vendor.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
@Tim Garceau , did they send extra white decals, stock they were black, didn't know if you had extra decals to put on after painting?

Clint Jett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a stupid question. Can anyone tell me what size socket is needed on the control arms.? Thanks in advance!

Hbrichman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I know it’s only been a couple weeks, but how are you all liking these arms? In the market for uppers and lowers and debating between these or Core4x4. Haven’t heard of Freedom Offroad before but at pretty significant price less than the Core arms I’m definitely intrigued. I’m only leveled on Bilstein 5100’s and don’t plan to go much higher if at all so don’t believe I have a need for adjustable but could be wrong? First time replacing rear uppers and lowers so just trying to make the right purchase.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it’s only been a couple weeks, but how are you all liking these arms? In the market for uppers and lowers and debating between these or Core4x4. Haven’t heard of Freedom Offroad before but at pretty significant price less than the Core arms I’m definitely intrigued. I’m only leveled on Bilstein 5100’s and don’t plan to go much higher if at all so don’t believe I have a need for adjustable but could be wrong? First time replacing rear uppers and lowers so just trying to make the right purchase.
Tim is running them as far as i know so hopefully he will fill you in. I made the change myself to Clayton offroad arms because i wanted to try something completely new. Nothing wrong with the FO ones and i have nothing but good things to say about them in the short period of time i had them.

I was organizing the stuff i have in my garage that i'll be putting up for sale and i have the FO ones in a box ready to go if you want them. PM for info. i can ship them out to you today or if you're local to Trabuco Canyon, you can come and pick them up. They're pretty much new.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Will these Freedom arms work on a 2" rear drop or are they for lifted trucks only?

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Yeah my rear end is probably lowered 2.5” from OEM 4x4 quadcab height. Stable above and beyond the dashboard needle limits. Anything lower than 3” will probably need relocation Drop brackets with the factory center to center arm lengths.

Next tire rotation I’ll pull the lower control arms down and inspect how the bushings are holding up to abuse.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sorry to sound stupid, but a couple of questions.
Can I install these myself without removing the tires using ramps in my driveway?
Do they help with wheel hop when hitting the gas out of a turn? (mine does this only turning left)

I picked up Moog rear sway bar links too thinking they might be the issue but haven't installed them yet. Everything out back is OEM 10 yrs except coils & shocks.

Thanks for any advice!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yes you should install with truck on the ground, preferably anyway.
But as long as you do one at a time, on ground or in the air, your good. Same length.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Great Question and has been a problem with the 4th Generation Rams from inception due to the OEM 4-link attempting to give the plush ride unloaded of a cadillac yet still do minor hauling duties.

The best remedy will be stiffening the designed flexible joints which when torque transfers clockwise from the tires, the reactive force is on the lower rear control arms as the axle tries to twist and compress them through the frame mounts. However, if you have an open rear end and one tire loses traction around the corner the sway and track(panhard) links become the weak points. Lowering helps keep the center of gravity down as well to minimize this effect. Running a better dampening shock like the 4600s will certainly be a noticeable improvement as well.

My tires stayed on the ground the entire time upgrading uppers and lowers, but swapped one at a time and needed a jack on the pumpkin(only the lowers) to center the holes as the OEM arms were stretched slightly from center to center. You'll want a breaker bar for the lowers, the 200 ft-lb torque spec is accurate and should be tightened as mentioned with the full weight of the vehicle on the hardware.

Last edited:

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the info!
Think I'm gonna go with the FOs but at 63 with a bad back might just let my shop do the install, sounds like too much to tackle.

Time to go shopping!