New recall about steering nuts being loose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horsetrailer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi Power Wagon
Just looked up my VIN. Recall V07. Page said Complete February 5th (in green) Assuming its been corrected already
Did your recall read V06 or V07? Mine reads V06. Wierd

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
theres alot of recalls but it seems to be piddly crap. never taken mine in and still drives fine

I agree with your complaint about the recalls. I'm up to 12 or 13 now. The only thing is I have had no problems with the truck so far. (knock hard on wood)

DeepVee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins6.7

The recall states that if the jamb nuts are torqued to spec, they will weld them in place. That's absurd.
I simply placed a stainless hose clamp on on the threaded section on either side of the jamb nuts. There's no force on them, they simply prevent the nuts from moving.
Welding them in place prevents and future adjustment. steering.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Instead of welding the nuts why dont they just weld "tangs" onto the center link that put pressure on the nuts which should prevent them from turning?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just looked up my VIN. Recall V07. Page said Complete February 5th (in green) Assuming its been corrected already

Yup, tho allegedly, LOL

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I’d love to see the Welding job a dealer tech can do lol. I bet that’s a sight to behold

ViperJeff

USAF 421st Black Widows
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well, if mine gets welded, you’ll get to see it

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 1500, so above does not apply, but I saw a fix (Post #44 this thread), where someone put GM style clamps on there. I would do that in a heartbeat instead of having "Dealer" weld them. What a mess, especially alignment day, just saying,.,....

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
SHAME on RAM saying the dealer will weld the steering jam nut if lose. Absurd I hope no member allows that. I suspect this is a torque or thread issue with the Chinese vendor. The fix will be a replacement part. In the mean time the hose clamps, loctite, reference mark and check monthly makes professional sense. My front end guy is a hard core RAM guy. But this one realy has him pissed off.

horsetrailer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi Power Wagon
How did the work come out?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I received the recall notice as well.

I'm installing a Thuren front leveling kits this week and the kit comes with a new heavy duty adjustable track bar. So I am assuming I do not need to worry about this recall?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I received the recall notice as well.

I'm installing a Thuren front leveling kits this week and the kit comes with a new heavy duty adjustable track bar. So I am assuming I do not need to worry about this recall?

A track bar has nothing to do with the recall, its the drag link.

That being said, no you dont have to worry about the recall. Make sure the nuts are tight and your good to go. I sure as hell wouldnt take it to the dealer so they can weld it, thats for damn sure! STUPID!

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A track bar has nothing to do with the recall, its the drag link.

That being said, no you dont have to worry about the recall. Make sure the nuts are tight and your good to go. I sure as hell wouldnt take it to the dealer so they can weld it, thats for damn sure! STUPID!

ok cool. thanks brother.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok cool. thanks brother.

Heck yea, no prob. Congrats on the kit, your gonna love it!

When you get it installed your steering wheel will no longer be straight. That is where the drag link adjuster (the part that is recalled) comes into play, to adjust the steering wheel straight again. Just loosen the two nuts, spin the collar till the wheel is straight, and then tighten each nut to the collar separately, using two wrenches.

Then you can drive to an alignment shop, have them use thurens specs, and you will be good to go.

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
perfect
Heck yea, no prob. Congrats on the kit, your gonna love it!

When you get it installed your steering wheel will no longer be straight. That is where the drag link adjuster (the part that is recalled) comes into play, to adjust the steering wheel straight again. Just loosen the two nuts, spin the collar till the wheel is straight, and then tighten each nut to the collar separately, using two wrenches.

Then you can drive to an alignment shop, have them use thurens specs, and you will be good to go.

perfect! thanks

OP
OP
Rbohno

Rbohno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Powerwagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, I had mine scheduled for the recall due to second notice and canceled the appointment when I found out they were going to weld them in place.
I know I have been criticized for using “ red” loctitie on mine but that’s better than welding.

sweetgrass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I took mine in for the recall today, and told them specifically not to weld it. They complied, and said that it was out of spec, so they torqued it to spec. Asked them what the torque setting was and they told me it was a 110ftlbs. Also said to check it periodically using a crows foot.
I think its weak to not replace the drag link completely, but they want to reduce the cost. Whatever, these trucks are top shelf and friggin expensive, replace the drag link already!

My question to you guys is, what aftermarket options are there, and if so what would you guys recommend?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf