New recall about steering nuts being loose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I took mine in for the recall today, and told them specifically not to weld it. They complied, and said that it was out of spec, so they torqued it to spec. Asked them what the torque setting was and they told me it was a 110ftlbs. Also said to check it periodically using a crows foot.
I think its weak to not replace the drag link completely, but they want to reduce the cost. Whatever, these trucks are top shelf and friggin expensive, replace the drag link already!

My question to you guys is, what aftermarket options are there, and if so what would you guys recommend?

110 ft-lbs for a fastener that size is woefully low, hence the tack welding. I don’t know for certain, but my guess is that the replacement criteria is a fully loosened jam nut where the threaded ends of the rod are free to hammer against the threaded coupler (which would be damaging to the threads).

Personally, I don’t think a carefully placed tack weld is the worst thing in the world, but I’d have liked to see them change the torque spec to something more appropriate.

Synergy Mfg makes a drag link for the 13+ trucks. I don’t know a thing about their part’s reputation, but I bet they’re selling a few right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reuben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
110 ft-lbs for a fastener that size is woefully low, hence the tack welding. I don’t know for certain, but my guess is that the replacement criteria is a fully loosened jam nut where the threaded ends of the rod are free to hammer against the threaded coupler (which would be damaging to the threads).

Personally, I don’t think a carefully placed tack weld is the worst thing in the world, but I’d have liked to see them change the torque spec to something more appropriate.

Synergy Mfg makes a drag link for the 13+ trucks. I don’t know a thing about their part’s reputation, but I bet they’re selling a few right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Synergy is top notch stuff. I used them on my JKs.