New Revolution revealed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, the Ram EV is projected to have up to 2,700 pounds of payload, so if you buy the stripped version (probably a single cab) you might pull 3 horses in a trailer with a couple of passengers and gear. But the truck itself will be stupid heavy with a large battery pack and/or a supplemental power unit (read gas engine with tank).

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, the Ram EV is projected to have up to 2,700 pounds of payload, so if you buy the stripped version (probably a single cab) you might pull 3 horses in a trailer with a couple of passengers and gear. But the truck itself will be stupid heavy with a large battery pack and/or a supplemental power unit (read gas engine with tank).

And battery depletion will be very high with a load, too.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My cousin had plunked the $100 to sign up for ordering a Ram EV. He just cancelled the $100 placeholder. He just doesn't see the benefit of being first in line, wants to see how it works before going that route.

He has a EV now, but only drives it to work and around town. Has massive battery pack, but never uses the potential and doesn't want to get stuck if travelling far.

That's why I won't have one, infrastructure won't be there for a decade or more.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
There was a story yesterday in NYT about trying to drive across Minnesota in a rental Volvo ev. Couldn’t find charger. Had to have car towed.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My cousin had plunked the $100 to sign up for ordering a Ram EV. He just cancelled the $100 placeholder. He just doesn't see the benefit of being first in line, wants to see how it works before going that route.

infrastructure won't be there for a decade or more.
Having an EV for local commuters is one thing but an EV pickup doing pickup truck things is more challenging. For me, and a lot of others, I used the truck to tow a fishing boat or a utility trailer and tractor. I need range, and range capability in cold and hot weather. On top of that, fast recharge times which appear will never be available in our homes. Bigger kilowatt batteries to provide range and capability like towing will require higher kilowatt chargers. A 220-volt 50-amp charger (11,000 watts per hour) isn't going to cut it.

I don't know how long it will take to provide a recharging infrastructure. It reminds me of the infrastructure issues when cell phones first came about. First cell support sites were along interstates and then off to secondary routes and population areas. Rural areas were dead last. Then the real nail in the coffin is the cost of an EV and the scary thought of the battery replacement costs.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That is a good analogy, the cell phone coverage rollout. It took forever where I used to drive.

No one buys a truck and knows that they likely will need to spend half the new cost of the vehicle again if they want to keep the truck a long time.

Meanwhile, from the man who said "pickups just carry around a lot of dead weight in body panels like a sack of potatoes, I am going to innovate and do it better by 2019" . Years later, behold the Tesla Sack of Potatoes.