New Revolution revealed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I keep reading all kinds of literature on the subject of EVs, and a question I see is: Why do EVs have mega battery packs for hundreds of miles when some high percentage of trips in those vehicles are for about 20 to 30 miles? That is a total waste of resources, building a car that will drag excessive, unnecessary weight most of its life.

Largely because "range anxiety" is one of the biggest hurdles to sales of EVs and the goal isn't to make the most efficient product, it's to build products that sell. Preferably at the highest profit margin available. PHEVs with a 50 mile round trip range and a gas motor make a ton of sense, IMO, but sometimes the thing that makes the most sense satisfies nobody.

Ford had hinted at a hybrid Ranger with stoopid amounts of horsepower, combining the Raptor ecoboost and electric assist. It would have been nuts, the fastest truck they ever produced, but as best I can tell it's dead and a more mundane hybrid is more likely in the next few years. Must need to sell all the Raptor Rs they can before they embarass it with a Ranger. :D

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Exactly. Range is a finicky thing. 80% of the time I just need 50 miles. But that last 20 percent grows exponentially it seems. Everything from "once a month trips" in the winter to "once a week trips in the summer" to "pulling a trailer 6 hours down the road" type trips.

I'm not necessarily that average, but I'm not necessarily that unique either. When you buy something as expensive as a car/truck, it needs to work all the time everytime without major headaches and anxieties. Unless you can afford two cars of course and make it work that way.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Exactly. Range is a finicky thing. 80% of the time I just need 50 miles. But that last 20 percent grows exponentially it seems. Everything from "once a month trips" in the winter to "once a week trips in the summer" to "pulling a trailer 6 hours down the road" type trips.

I'm not necessarily that average, but I'm not necessarily that unique either. When you buy something as expensive as a car/truck, it needs to work all the time everytime without major headaches and anxieties. Unless you can afford two cars of course and make it work that way.

Your observation is spot-on. I buy the vehicle I need 20% of the time, because lifecycle cost is cheaper than 2 purpose bought vehicles, with double the insurance, payments, maintenance, storage, everything.

Unless you're rich, of course. Then you buy whatever you want, like Jay Leno.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am in the same boat, I bought a truck that meets my payload and towing requirements, which come up about 1-2 times a month. I doubt I will own a EV ever.

My comments are more about the statistics that get thrown out there. Buy a EV because it will more than cover the average driving experience. According to FHA, in 2022 drivers averaged about 14,000 miles a year and dividing by the average work year of 260 days, that is about 60 miles a day (including weekends drops it down to about 40 miles a day). I just think that the tax credits (that we all pay for) are kind of ridiculous. Instead, build the cars cheaper by reducing the number of batteries, and let people buy their own dang cars. People could still by extended range EVs if they want, but I don't think giving money to someone buying a car is a good thing. It ranks right up there with the (now thankfully expired) Maryland granting EVs the right to have a single person vehicle in the HOV lanes.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I am in the same boat, I bought a truck that meets my payload and towing requirements, which come up about 1-2 times a month. I doubt I will own a EV ever.

My comments are more about the statistics that get thrown out there. Buy a EV because it will more than cover the average driving experience. According to FHA, in 2022 drivers averaged about 14,000 miles a year and dividing by the average work year of 260 days, that is about 60 miles a day (including weekends drops it down to about 40 miles a day). I just think that the tax credits (that we all pay for) are kind of ridiculous. Instead, build the cars cheaper by reducing the number of batteries, and let people buy their own dang cars. People could still by extended range EVs if they want, but I don't think giving money to someone buying a car is a good thing. It ranks right up there with the (now thankfully expired) Maryland granting EVs the right to have a single person vehicle in the HOV lanes.

Good points. More variety in EV range would provide flexibility for different applications. Shorter range for metro commuters is likely the bulk of the market, then extended for those that want to use for vacations too.

As for those who advised me to just buy a smaller truck and get a trailer, the trailer I got weighs almost 2,000 pounds and I load it with 5,000 pounds of dirt and firewood. Tractor + implements is 3,000 pounds which alone is the max towing GCWR of half ton trucks.

Oops!! :D

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

You're thinking of it like an appliance vs a lifestyle choice and in the US vehicle purchases are more often biased toward the second. How many offroad trucks actually offroad? Sports cars hit triple digit speeds? Etc. The fact they *could* and people like to see themselves as the sort of person who *might* do that sort of thing on occasion sells them.

These cars aren't expensive because of the range, they are expensive because the market will pay it. Reducing manufacturing costs doesn't equate to lower retail costs if people are willing to buy at the higher price, it just results in higher profit. If someone is concerned about economy, a stripper Chevy Spark is under $15k, gets nearly 40mpg, and you'll never make the money back on fuel to buy a Tesla of any kind. If you're worried about environmental impact, that little coffin on wheels is by far more environmentally friendly than a luxury land yacht regardless of gas or electric. But nobody wants them and it's now discontinued. People don't *want* cheap econobox ICE vehicles and they don't want cheap econobox EV vehicles and the hand full of exceptions aren't enough to make them economically viable for manufacturers.

The subsidies aren't very well done, but I don't mind subsidies that help make America stronger such as strengthening our manufacturing base, investing in new technology to stay ahead of China, etc. Unfortunately I don't think the current subsidies do that very well.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I dunno, I knew a lot of guys that had a cheap econobox for commuting, and the 2nd or 3rd vehicle was a land yacht. Of course, that's the upper percentile of the population that could afford it. I would also challenge the assertion that many can afford a Tesla lux-mobile that breaks often.

Haven't seen many midsize EV's. Yeah, the Nissan is out now, but we all know about Nissan quality (see: Cummins failure, hardbody failure, Datsun failures, etc. etc. etc.).

Ford Mustang Mach-E is also just a niche car.

Mister B

Reaction score
Some of the features look really innovative. Very cool lines on the exterior. Interior looks like its it configurable almost like the old chevy avalanche used to be, with the removable rear seats. Honestly not really an electric vehicle fan though.
All these things to love and still not sold? haha what's the hangup? What do you feel like this RAM can't do that your RAM can?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Here you go, gang - despite all of Bean Counter Mary Barra's uneducated rants about GM being EV only, apparently there's a few influential engineers left at the behemoth. Hopefully the don't make another oil-pumper like they did with the 5.3L AFM (the reason I switched to Ram):

"The battery-electric market could eventually extend to more trucks and large SUVs, but Smith says these larger vehicles “present some challenge with regard (to) battery size and battery cost. Even if battery cost continues to decline and battery energy power continues to increase, it’s still not a great match.”

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good points. More variety in EV range would provide flexibility for different applications. Shorter range for metro commuters is likely the bulk of the market, then extended for those that want to use for vacations too.

As for those who advised me to just buy a smaller truck and get a trailer, the trailer I got weighs almost 2,000 pounds and I load it with 5,000 pounds of dirt and firewood. Tractor + implements is 3,000 pounds which alone is the max towing GCWR of half ton trucks.

Oops!! :D
There have been PPL tell me to downsize, why the Big A Z Z RAM. Well, I only tow a couple of times a year on average, to get hay. But the trailer is a 2006 WW Stock, 2150 lbs, and add 5-6K of Hay, yeah, OK, me thinks the lil Colorado or Honda or whateva, ahhhhh, no. And, FWIW, I thoroughly enjoy the ride and capability on my lightly lowly optioned DT RAM, which has the same drivetrain minus maybe air bags, or different rear end as a 80K Limited, hee hee. Guess each to their own.

Somehow, I just don't see that EV in a field, running, pulling that trailer, loading, unloading, or getting sand, bricks, wateva, just not for me. But wat do I know, I's a BOIRD...

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did anyone put down a hundred bucks to get in a lottery to maybe get picked to order a truck?

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're thinking of it like an appliance vs a lifestyle choice and in the US vehicle purchases are more often biased toward the second. How many offroad trucks actually offroad? Sports cars hit triple digit speeds? Etc. The fact they *could* and people like to see themselves as the sort of person who *might* do that sort of thing on occasion sells them.

These cars aren't expensive because of the range, they are expensive because the market will pay it. Reducing manufacturing costs doesn't equate to lower retail costs if people are willing to buy at the higher price, it just results in higher profit. If someone is concerned about economy, a stripper Chevy Spark is under $15k, gets nearly 40mpg, and you'll never make the money back on fuel to buy a Tesla of any kind. If you're worried about environmental impact, that little coffin on wheels is by far more environmentally friendly than a luxury land yacht regardless of gas or electric. But nobody wants them and it's now discontinued. People don't *want* cheap econobox ICE vehicles and they don't want cheap econobox EV vehicles and the hand full of exceptions aren't enough to make them economically viable for manufacturers.

The subsidies aren't very well done, but I don't mind subsidies that help make America stronger such as strengthening our manufacturing base, investing in new technology to stay ahead of China, etc. Unfortunately I don't think the current subsidies do that very well.
“Coffin on wheels”
That made me laugh! So true! Im not driving a lil Sh_tbox nor will my family. We did consider ordering the Chevy Blazer EV for the wife. Her work has charging stations. I was totally against it then saw 500+ HP and said maybe.
Im not real interested in a turbo small displacement truck. I just think longevity issues.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I read there will be a commercial with the truck during the Superbowl. And then in certain markets a commercial that shows a Tesla running over analogs of a child and a stroller. Should be interesting. I know you can watch them before, but without my Bills in the game I have to have some reason to watch.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
03cafb75-51f9-40c9-af25-0da6bbd23713-Ram_1500_REV_front_three-quarters.jpgA more sensible image, looks more like we figured. No way it would have a missing B pillar.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The commercial had a humorous spin, but wasn't all that funny. Then at the end it sounded like they were *working on the extender". I wonder if that won't be ready for initial orders.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I do like the newer images of the RAM Rev truck. Much more realistic and similar to a real truck. I figured it was worth a $100 bet, so I put my money down. At least it's refundable if things don't turn out like I expect. I'll be in the market for a new truck around 2024/25 time frame.

Also, just a side note, I had the oil changed in my current 1500 a week ago. Was 1 quart low. This is the first truck I've owned with a V8 that burned oil, so it was a bit surprising. Probably won't miss that kind of issue if I do decide to go EV. I'm strong on EV at the moment, but time will tell. And I've got plenty of time right now.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So, if the Ram has regenerative braking, that could be less wear and tear on the brakes, and another service at least postponed. No transmission or transaxle oil to replace. No cooling system fluid to flush. Guess there are some advantages.

Ramtastico

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Warlock
Engine
3.6l
Underwhelming to me... If I were to get an EV truck, I'd want it to look special... like a freaking transformer, not like a 1500 with an xtra battery. I think the wives in the commercial said it all... Zzzzzzzzzzz

...actually looked at it again to be sure... gives me Honda Ridgeline vibes... Zzzzzzzzzzz- pretty sure i actually fell asleep while i was looking at it.