New Revolution revealed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Working in construction I do not see an ev being of any use on the jobsite. First off it's very rarely that you get to work close to home. My average daily commute from March to the end of October is an hour and a half one way. I would need at the very least 300 miles of range otherwise I would be stopping somewhere most days to plug it in. Then comes break and lunch time. You're sweating your **** off working finally get to take a break you go to your ev and want some ac but you can't because you have to save your battery so you can make it home without stopping to charge it.

On all the jobsites I've been too I have never once heard a guy say he wishes he had an ev. From the peons to the superintendents. Of course for the peons hybrid or a good gas mileage beater I've heard countless times and the same reason I keep my 2 door 35-39mpg pontiac. All the tools you would use that could be powered by an ev are already cordless. The higher powered tools you pretty much need a generator to run them. I've given the boss crap before saying he's just waiting til they make an ev with enough payload so he can trade in his 1 ton and move the generator/welder that's currently in his bed to the ev then he won't have to stop and plug it in.

I know there's a lot of different types of "construction" but doing bridge work. An ev would not fly at all.
Wow, driving an hour and a half one way and going 300 miles a day, that is really moving. Tried to add a funny emoji but they disappeared.

But I hear you. I used to install pools in the summer and fence in the winter. I would have my construction truck running to thaw fingers and cool my head. If I had to worry about range, just dang...

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't mean I do 300 miles in an hour and a half lol. The 300 would just be a bare minimum as I've driven more then that a lot of days. Work by Milwaukee one day and the next up by Lake Superior.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
In my business, i am on call 24/7
usually i get a call in the evening, asking me if i can be at a pickup point at a certain time the next morning.
I have two pickup points on the Arizona Border, one is 153 away, the other is 200 miles away.
Often when i get there, the truck driver & his Oversize Load are ready to go to where ever the delivery point is.

Just doing that with an EV would make my job almost impossible.

The truck driver & I both, don't get paid unless that load is moving, they can't wait for me to CHARGE UP

My business exists, because the Federal & State Governments have laws stating that trucks with a load that is wider, longer, taller or heavier than legal, has to have 1 or more Escórts traveling with it.

img1000c.jpg

Last edited:

KLook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
HONDA in Japan does have a version out now, not sure it out for retail yet. Great looking bike in Avatar, looks a lil familiar, see pic attached.

View attachment 511632
Nice trike, unique color. Yes, there is a flying car. Some guy up in Mass. or somewhere developed it with our tax dollars and then took it overseas. But it will never be viable for the paying public. Although with prices of trucks right now, they are not viable for me any longer.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice trike, unique color. Yes, there is a flying car. Some guy up in Mass. or somewhere developed it with our tax dollars and then took it overseas. But it will never be viable for the paying public. Although with prices of trucks right now, they are not viable for me any longer.
Yup, was allegedly the only Color of that Gen Wing, Gen 2. Not look too bad for 16 years old. Right now got a charging issue, prob going to have to go to shop, but hey, only 54K on the whole setup, only 12K on trike kit.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am waiting for the news rags that you see at the grocery stores, while in the line for the cashier.

This last week in Southern California, they had heavy snow & ice in several places, in one place in particular, the highway was blocked for 11 hours. Tow trucks could not get to all the vehicles that were stranded with people in them.

They know that vehicles ran out of gas & i think some people died from exposure in the vehicles.
The newscaster mentioned Electric Vehicles, but did not elaborate

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am waiting for the news rags that you see at the grocery stores, while in the line for the cashier.

This last week in Southern California, they had heavy snow & ice in several places, in one place in particular, the highway was blocked for 11 hours. Tow trucks could not get to all the vehicles that were stranded with people in them.

They know that vehicles ran out of gas & i think some people died from exposure in the vehicles.
The newscaster mentioned Electric Vehicles, but did not elaborate
In nearby Virginia about a year ago there was a storm that shut down 95, kind of the same situation. People were stranded for up to 24 hours. Some people in EVs said they were able to run the heater for varied times. I would think a EV and a ICE would both be impacted the same way: by level of battery charge or fuel.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I saw this from Ram leadership about what all of their market survey resulted in.

"But the conclusion from all of that feedback, which was invaluable, was this: We are open-minded to the idea of heavy electrification in the pickup truck segment, but trucks still need to do truck things. Do not sacrifice or compromise on the core attributes that we find the most valuable, which are payload, towing, range, and charge time."

In the article I read is that Ram has no plans to end ICE vehicles but rather use the Revolution both to keep existing customers who might want such a vehicle and target new customers who otherwise wouldn't buy an ICE. Meanwhile, they can continue researching advances in technology to offer future products that meet the all of the attributes of the last sentence in the prior paragraph. So maybe a win for everyone.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I saw this from Ram leadership about what all of their market survey resulted in.

"But the conclusion from all of that feedback, which was invaluable, was this: We are open-minded to the idea of heavy electrification in the pickup truck segment, but trucks still need to do truck things. Do not sacrifice or compromise on the core attributes that we find the most valuable, which are payload, towing, range, and charge time."

In the article I read is that Ram has no plans to end ICE vehicles but rather use the Revolution both to keep existing customers who might want such a vehicle and target new customers who otherwise wouldn't buy an ICE. Meanwhile, they can continue researching advances in technology to offer future products that meet the all of the attributes of the last sentence in the prior paragraph. So maybe a win for everyone.

Sure hope your take is right. I think Toyota Chairman speaking out recently helped reign in the unthinking hysteria some.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The best time to push alternative energy solutions was decades ago, the second best time is now. Does battery and charging tech suck currently? Without a shadow of a doubt. That doesn't mean it's not a worthwhile endeavor.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It was interesting, what Chairman Toyoda said about the way others were holding back.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was interesting, what Chairman Toyoda said about the way others were holding back.
I agree, but it's not surprising really. That would be like the CEO of BP saying charging times are too long and filling up with gas is quicker.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The best time to push alternative energy solutions was decades ago, the second best time is now. Does battery and charging tech suck currently? Without a shadow of a doubt. That doesn't mean it's not a worthwhile endeavor.
Agree, just don't think it has to be a one solution for all. There are also new environmental issues cropping up, so is electrification of transportation just shifting impacts from one place to another?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree, just don't think it has to be a one solution for all. There are also new environmental issues cropping up, so is electrification of transportation just shifting impacts from one place to another?
Currently yes, and I'm not claiming to have any knowledge about future tech. Battery tech is always improving, and has to make some big jumps to be viable for a wider scale acceptance. My point is that we still need to be pushing for the new tech as a pathway to future breakthroughs, not stopping because the current tech sucks.

goggles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im not buying into the EV loopy environmentalist politicians are trying push, most don't know the difference between a volt and a amp, the infrastructure is not there, politician's will spew out battery technology is changing all the time, Im not buying a battery thats still under research, give me a truck with a battery thats light weight, good for 500 miles in the cold, charges in 5 minutes and doesn't deteriorate, am I asking too much, if I am thats tough. I see a large fail coming with EV's especially in how fast governments want you to change, never trust government in anything these days, and to top it off I don't want to pay twice at an EV charger at night time, first the ripoff price the charger is going charge you, and second is handing my wallet to the guy with the gun who is robbing you.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I keep reading all kinds of literature on the subject of EVs, and a question I see is: Why do EVs have mega battery packs for hundreds of miles when some high percentage of trips in those vehicles are for about 20 to 30 miles? That is a total waste of resources, building a car that will drag excessive, unnecessary weight most of its life.

I see all kinds of benefits in building EVs with less-capacity batteries. Limited and expensive materials spread across more cars, elimination of special tires due to the heaviness of EVs, cheaper production costs, faster recharge times, etc. Maybe they need to stop trying to reach range-anxiety people like me and instead focus on the people who can live with a vehicle designed for average use. Of course the trade off us mor charging, but if a smaller pack reaches full charge faster, maybe time is near a wash (I am not an electrical engineer, so sure someone can intensely school me here, I am just thinking out loud and not factually saying this would exactly happen).

For me, hybrid maybe for daily transportation of the family (we definitely don't fall in the average bracket most days), but alternative fuel is where they will reach me at a place when I will give up my gas ICE.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I keep reading all kinds of literature on the subject of EVs, and a question I see is: Why do EVs have mega battery packs for hundreds of miles when some high percentage of trips in those vehicles are for about 20 to 30 miles? That is a total waste of resources, building a car that will drag excessive, unnecessary weight most of its life.

I see all kinds of benefits in building EVs with less-capacity batteries. Limited and expensive materials spread across more cars, elimination of special tires due to the heaviness of EVs, cheaper production costs, faster recharge times, etc. Maybe they need to stop trying to reach range-anxiety people like me and instead focus on the people who can live with a vehicle designed for average use. Of course the trade off us mor charging, but if a smaller pack reaches full charge faster, maybe time is near a wash (I am not an electrical engineer, so sure someone can intensely school me here, I am just thinking out loud and not factually saying this would exactly happen).

For me, hybrid maybe for daily transportation of the family (we definitely don't fall in the average bracket most days), but alternative fuel is where they will reach me at a place when I will give up my gas ICE.

I'm not so sure. I think less range = less useful and more panic and range anxiety. I'm not smart enough to do the math but I don't think the extra weight adds up all that much, just like none of us gas guys drive around with only 1/4 tank of fuel to save weight. At least I don't, I fill er up everytime and run till quarter.

If you charger your car with 400 mile of range until 100%, then only use 25 miles before plugging back in, you didn't waste anything the charger will only charge what you used. So the time it takes to "fill up" 25 miles is the same time regardless of capacity if both batteries have more than 25 miles of capacity.

I'd sooner suggest hybrids for your use case; you can go full electric most of the time but when you need it, you have gas on board generator to help you in a pinch.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, the Tesla Model 3 standard has about 3,000 cells (1400 less than long range), weighs about 300 lbs less than the long range, and only loses about 40 miles in range (272 to 312).

My argument is that the repeated statements about the statistics of driving say electric cars with lesser range should serve a large percentage of the driving public. Ergo, this would lend a standard range to be sufficient for persons who are average, some who are slightly above average, and all who are below average drivers in those statistics. If the government and companies want to force as many people as possible to electrify why not build more cars at a lower cost?

But I do agree, for those persons who are needing more range, a small engine (for example the Wankle going into Mazdas) are more effective as they only start when needed, and batteries can be reduced down much further to only meet the average drive. Taking the Model three above, if 2900 cells get you 282 miles and 4400 get you 315, then maybe 1000 cells get you 80 miles and the weight savings may be a wash, but it still meets the goal of reduced emissions which is why EVs are coming out in the first place (since engine should rarely be needed based in average usage).

Just thinking, not the expert. But with a APU in the Revolution, that may be what Ram is considering, build electric for the average commute and engine power to motors for long range and towing.