New Revolution revealed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I saw that. It has renewed my concern about what if the battery pack has a couple bad cells. I have bought brand new Duracell batteries and found bad ones, so what if there is a few in a EV?

Longer term, I like the idea of the Ram having a range extender, I think that might couple with a smaller battery pack. This reduces the cost to replace for people like me (if I ever were to consider it) who keep a vehicle for 15+ years. Of course this would just be a 2nd vehicle in my case, I don't see giving up my 2500 for 10 years or so.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Remember GM had such bad batteries from a Korean supplier last year they committed to making them in the U.S. themselves?

Making lithium ion batteries correctly is process-sensitive. You can't cheap your way into a quality LiIon battery, but the execs have gone all-in on cheapness the past 40 years. They're reaping what they've sowed.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
"The carmaker stopped (F150 Lightning) production in response to one vehicle catching fire during a pre-delivery quality inspection in a company holding lot in Dearborn, Michigan, on Feb. 4, according to the Detroit Free Press. Deliveries of already-ready trucks have also been suspended.

The second-biggest US automaker by sales after General Motors expects the manufacturing lines to be down until at least the end of next week, as reported by Motor Authority, while an investigation into the problem is conducted.

Engineers have now apparently found the root cause of the issue. Adjustments to the truck’s battery production process to fix it could take “a few weeks."

South Korea-based SK On, a spinoff of SK Innovation, is the battery supplier for the Detroit automaker’s truck.

GM recalled hundreds of thousands of its Chevrolet Bolt EVs over battery fire problems, and it even halted production for almost eight months. LG Electronics, GM’s battery maker, reimbursed the company $1.9 billion."

CHEAP = GOOD

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
This is all new. Not just batteries but also how they are used, and many other parts of what would be considered a "normal" vehicle. There will be bumps in this road to say the least. I'm fully at ease that the engineers working on this stuff will not rest, ever. They are as committed to this as they were to any vehicle style in the past. There's lots more new to come, and improvements to say the least. I remain excited about the future of the automotive industry, and what they will do next.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was just reading a story from an influencer on the EV scene where recounted an interaction with someone. Seems a woman borrowed a Tesla but was parked at a different charging port and couldn't figure out how to charge it. After helping find an adapter, setting up payment, and then coming back later to help with the defective port, he lamented the state of charging infrastructure and education. Hopefully, Ram will include training to buyers and hard copies of a quick guide in how to utilize different charging adapters. Nothing worse than being out in an intense situation and having to take the time to find the right YouTube video that isn't 3 minutes of jabber/follow me here/there/everywhere followed by the necessary 30 seconds of actual information.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The link below details a Ford patent but reflects the capabilities for manufacturers that may come about in future years. I can't imagine a world where I don't have complete control over the features of my vehicle. Now, before I get comments that big brother knows about my driving, I am talking about how I decide if I update my 8.4 radio (I never do, it works exactly how I want it to without problems 4 years later), my windows won't stop working for some OTA update bug, I don't have to pay a monthly fee to adjust my seat (it's manual), and the cost of my vehicle was not inflated by the cost of features that may or may not work based in some subscription I have to fork over money for.

I am sure there are people who are fine with this type of potential future as that is what they grew up with and/or don't know any different. And I challenge anyone to prove that the sales process has changed in a way where salespeople are incredibly knowledgeable about the features of vehicles to explain (successfully) that such purchases will be just the start of a lifelong relationship with software engineers ensuring our need to continuously be waiting for the next update/new cost to use a feature we paid for in the sales price.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Edmund's did an expose about car sales people some years back. I'm sure it's archived.

If you really want to get depressed, read it. Otherwise skip it.

They sent undercover applicants to various dealerships across the U.S. The number 1 hiring criteria was stating wanting to make a lot of money. Nothing, and I mean nothing else mattered.
Complete lack of ethics.

Surprised, are we?

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have been watching the announcements coming in the truck, and just to update here the name 1500 REV XR will be the version with the range extending gas engine. It remains to be seen if that option will make it to the 2024/2025 first trucks out. Also interested to know what the payload and trailer capacities will be, would expect that the added range extender could severely hit against the payload capacity and thus render the truck to essentially a daily driver and not much of a workhorse. Wondering when the 2500 and 3500 versions might be making an appearance.

goggles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been watching the announcements coming in the truck, and just to update here the name 1500 REV XR will be the version with the range extending gas engine. It remains to be seen if that option will make it to the 2024/2025 first trucks out. Also interested to know what the payload and trailer capacities will be, would expect that the added range extender could severely hit against the payload capacity and thus render the truck to essentially a daily driver and not much of a workhorse. Wondering when the 2500 and 3500 versions might be making an appearance.
Ive been watching updates on trucks from all makers, Im waiting to see real life range s and performance, one thing that caught my eye was GM's Sierra Denali EV, it has air suspension, I see it as a good thing as you will only have to run on your bump stops at half the range in the cold, maybe GM did a better job on air suspension than Ram did, each maker is trying to up each other which is good, but to be an early opter on these trucks, I say good luck to them.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have been looking at stories on and off, but I can't see myself in a high tech vehicle. It would pi** me off if I bought a truck with all the bells but then had to pay subscription fees to get various whistles to work. I think it is ridiculous that a vehicle is priced with all the hardware but then the manufacturer wants more money to turn that stuff on; from heated seats to performance driving features. Anyone who willingly buys such a vehicle then pays such money deserves to be taken advantage of. I have one feature on my truck I rarely use, the 4wd, but it doesn't cost me extra to use it if I choose.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I were to ever get an E truck, hands down it would be the Rivian. Its one functional truck for sure.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
If I were to ever get an E truck, hands down it would be the Rivian. Its one functional truck for sure.

Would you have to put on blinders prior to getting in?

That thing is one of the ugliest vehicles I've seen. Looks like 1950's Joe Stalin styling to me.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Would you have to put on blinders prior to getting in?

That thing is one of the ugliest vehicles I've seen. Looks like 1950's Joe Stalin styling to me.
It takes some getting use to, but the functionality of them is amazing. I personally don't like anything electric, but it is a nice truck.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It takes some getting use to, but the functionality of them is amazing. I personally don't like anything electric, but it is a nice truck.

Did you get to see one, Treb? Maybe I should go to the car show this summer.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The two things that turn me off to the Rivian, 1) incredible waste of space in the bed by having a pass through below and in front of it. I buy a truck to use the bed and losing that much is hands down the main reason I will never own one. 2) the front end styling, it is just a swing and a miss.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Update in my comment about paying extra for features already built in the vehicle. Mercedes is charging $60 a month for an extra 60 hp. Just how, dare I say, stupid does one have to be to pay for that. In the same article, Stellantis also has said it expects to ear billions from subscriptions. Gotta say, not going to get one penny from this guy to use something I already paid for. I feel bad for my son, he will be navigating these idiotic companies and their cash grabs some day.

My cousin has had multiple vehicles with OnStar (a cash grab) and he never pays once it runs out. Figures his phone can sense an accident and call someone, doesn't need to have someone remotely start or open his car, and just hates their connection to his truck to the point he cuts out the speaker and microphone they use to communicate. I like his style.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yep. No Stellantis text message service for this non-sucker.

They're preying upon generations hooked on instantaneous need for communication by lack of parenting controls.

The Jack Dorsey's and Steve Jobs' of the world have destroyed the sanity of future generations.

"THIS changes everything-" Jobs said. I remember thinking, yeah greatly for worse.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
And they have opened the door for more people to get in line by paying $100 for the honor of ordering one in the future. Guess either their output will be higher than expected, they have had a lot of cancellations, or just didn't manage the first round of queue generation.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you get to see one, Treb? Maybe I should go to the car show this summer.
I have done two gloss enhancements to the paint and ceramic coating on them. The first one was the green launch edition, and the second was a green one. Slightly different in shade. My biggest complaint with them, is that when its locked it chirps like a bird. Example of the awesomeness they are. The bed cargo storage and the doors are also serve as a seat. They are pretty dang nice on the inside. They do take a lot of Tesla notes, but the seat quality vs Tesla is light years nicer.

Chiere

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m the weirdo who actually likes where they think they are going with the looks, (they aren’t there yet,) but I have issues/questions to share.

Does the rear door have a foot tall wing projecting over a foot and a half off the end of it? That swoopy part, over the bed… How am I supposed to be able to use the knee of the foot propped on the running board to hold it open while struggling to get my Portuguese saddle in through it while avoiding a (nother) concussion when a stirrup catches the inside arm rest and swings that fancy wing thing into my head? Lordy. My husband would come out and find me unconscious, laying in the drive, with a saddle on me, and a trail of fire ants trying to cart me off. Barring the weapo, er, wing on the back door, it still doesn’t look big enough to wrestle 4 or or five 50lb bags of feed through. Load or unload. I’m even worse left knee’d.

The bed, is it low enough that my gooseneck trailer isn’t going to travel looking like it’s always going uphill? Needs to be level. Don’t need to hear horses scrambling for footing. And the sides, how tall are the walls? If I try to back, and need to come perilously close to jackknife territory, will the hitch supports scrape along the top of the bed? Currently with my Betty I have about a foot space.

Is that a grab bar jutting out of the back of the cab? A super tiny roll bar? Or a can opener for the bow of my trailer…. I don’t know how I feel about it. Is it useful? Can I run a rope through it and use that as a pully-ish to drag a piano into the bed? What about a refrigerator? What about,… a 1,000 lb compressed alfalfa bale? What about a calf? What about a Smart Car? A trampoline? A swing set? Can I use it as an anchor point to strap stuff to? Because I absolutely will!

Thanks for the speshul trim to fake a skinny waist. Lord forbid my truck look fat. I like to fake the other truck owners into thinking their truck can beat my truck up. Like hustling pool. Can we also get some dainty wheels for it too? Maybe some frilly rims? A pink paint scheme? In case no one realizes, this paragraph is complete sarcasm. I want my truck to be one solid color, from bumper to bumper, that color being black. It needs to look like it can survive the job I need it to do; haul my 3 horse warmblood slant gooseneck, haul camping gear through swamps and sugar sand, and haul my girl army of granddaughters. However, I would not say no to bumper to bumper plum overlaid with a purple to teal flip flop. Just sayin.

Someone mentioned above, how can we see out of it? Will we have to rely on the curb feelers or whatever they’re called, to keep centered in the lane? Will that also keep the trailer centered? Are there bigger mirrors? Or just better tech.

I desperately want one!!!! Have since I had a hint that there would be one. But I am hell on trucks. And that looks very breakable. But I tell you what, I’m willing to sacrifice. Give me one and I will, at my cost, have a gooseneck ball installed in the bed, boss up the rear end suspension, maybe some airbags even, for the horses’ comfort, mind you, and then abuse the ever lovin dog snot outta it, and report back. No need to pay me. I’ll do it out of the goodness of my heart. Just for y’all.

Edited to add, obs I’m dragging the concept version. I see there’s a boring version too. Why isn’t there a compromise between boring but very useful and innovative but ridiculous?

Last edited: