New tires..............almost. Update, all done.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
3/4 of my new tires showed up today

c0a0f30dd9d80093890ebebc9f0ff95c.jpg

05a9efa26801f388fd4288458f0ee6f3.jpg

Kept the size the same (35x12.5r20), but went with an all terrain tread, rather than a mud terrain like last time.

Tracking shows the 4th tire setting in a fed ex warehouse about 25 miles away, not sure why they only had 3 on the truck today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Well that sucks...

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I ordered a set from Jegs and the same thing happened to me. Took two extra days to get the last tire. FedEx blows compared to UPS where I am. Plus they dropped them in my driveway and left without notifying me.

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ordered a set from Jegs and the same thing happened to me. Took two extra days to get the last tire. FedEx blows compared to UPS where I am. Plus they dropped them in my driveway and left without notifying me.

I had the opposite issue, kind of.
they were supposed to be here on Monday. When I came home, there was one of their sticky notes on the door, stating that I needed to sign for the tires. I called fedex(took forever to get through their automated system and actually talk to a person), and rescheduled delivery for Tuesday, and was able to get a very rough estimate of when the driver would be at my home. I took an extra long lunch, and drove home from work so I could sign for the tires. I was not too happy when there were only 3 on the truck. I'm really hoping they don't hit me with another "signature required" sticky note.

I'm planning to mount the tires myself, and am going to be using beads to balance them. I'll post an update on how it goes, timing will depend on when the last tire shows up.

I'm curious to see how these tires preform. They weren't the cheapest I could find, but I had never heard of the brand (venom power) before, and I was able to get them to my door for under $900.

Last edited:
OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The last tire was waiting when I got home from work yesterday.
I dug out the old set of homemade tire irons, and installed the new tires. Even though they aren’t technically low profile tires, because of the short side walls (35” tire, 20” rim) there were a couple time that I thought I was going to bend an iron.
Only install hiccup was on the last tire. I got in a hurry, and forgot to drop in the balance beads. Just had to deflate it, break the bead, drop in balance beads, and air it back up.
7b1fbff84cb9a4ea61b4987a98176e9b.jpg

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a brief update.......
I’ve only been able to drive about 20 miles on the new tires so far. However, this is the first time that I have used beads/BB’s for tire balancing, and I have to say, I’m a believer!
I put 11oz of beads in each tire, and so far, it is smooth as silk up to 65mph(due to traffic and rain, i didn’t want to go any faster, I’ll report back once I’ve had a chance to try some higher speeds).

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Just a brief update.......
I’ve only been able to drive about 20 miles on the new tires so far. However, this is the first time that I have used beads/BB’s for tire balancing, and I have to say, I’m a believer!
I put 11oz of beads in each tire, and so far, it is smooth as silk up to 65mph(due to traffic and rain, i didn’t want to go any faster, I’ll report back once I’ve had a chance to try some higher speeds)

Thanks for the update. I have heard so many good and bad stories about beads, I'm not sure what think. Good to get a real world review.

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the update. I have heard so many good and bad stories about beads, I'm not sure what think. Good to get a real world review.

Same here, I had heard both good and bad about using beads. No place close does road force balancing, and the last set of tires took a lot of work to balance with traditional weights, so I decided to give the beads a try.

I used airsoft BB’s, and I think I figured out 2 reasons why it works for some, and not for others.

1: spend a few $ more and get the “match grade” BB’s. They are heavier (.25 grams) and are polished smooth (no mold seam), and don’t break apart like the cheaper ones.

2: pay attention to how much weight (not just volume of BB’s) that you put into the tires.

Too little or too much weight, and the tire won’t be able to balance. There are several charts online that give weight suggestions based on tire size. I found recommendations for my size, ranging from 8oz to 12oz. The package of BB’s that I bought, divided out evenly to 11oz per tire.
I used this as a starting point, fully expecting to have to add/remove BB’s after the first drive. Guess I just got lucky.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used beads, used the liquid... neither really did much. I've had the ceramic beads sort of glue themselves to the inside of the tires - impossible to know if they migrate when the road surface "hits" them but they sure stayed put when the tires were removed. Maybe it's necessary to use so many beads that the base layer is covered and more beads can bounce around freely? Beats me, I'm not willing to invest any money in that experiment.

On my Ram and my Montero and the last 3 4wd's I had before them I use Centramatics. Those work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I looked into the centramatics.
Figured I’d give the $15 air soft BB’s a try before spending $200 on centramatics.

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pavement was finally dry enough today to chalk test the tires and adjust the air pressure. Looks
Like 36psi front and 34psi rear (unloaded) is going to be just about perfect. [emoji106]

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When I was driving a big rig, I had to have an emergency roadside tire replacement performed and they used the beads to balance that front tire. Sometimes it was good, but then I might a bump in the road then the tire would get out of balance for awhile. Sometimes it would happen at highway speeds and might remain unbalance until another bump in the road. When I got back to our main yard, I had the tire shop pull out the beads and properly balance the tire. The shop forman said the beads are fair temporary fix but he wouldn't recommend them for the long haul.

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just wanted to give an update now that I have a few hundred miles on the tires.
The tires do make a bit more road noise than I was expecting, but still less than my previous MT’s. Did get a chance to drive in some heavy rain, and the wet traction seems to be really good. Definitely better than the MT’s.
Also, the balance beads seem to be working great. I can hear the beads moving around up to about 15 mph, and also, they fall to the bottom of the tire when coming to a stop.

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's a short video clip to get an idea what these tires sound like. I had the drivers window down until around the 00:32 mark.

Also, still no complaints about the balance beads. they are still working perfectly, and since I've had the windows up more(starting to get cooler here), I almost never hear the beads when I come to a stop.

Kingzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's a short video clip to get an idea what these tires sound like. I had the drivers window down until around the 00:32 mark.

Also, still no complaints about the balance beads. they are still working perfectly, and since I've had the windows up more(starting to get cooler here), I almost never hear the beads when I come to a stop.

How have these Venom Power tires been treating you?

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
The truck looks great with those tires.

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How have these Venom Power tires been treating you?

Still very happy with the tires. Got around 10k miles on them, and there has been very minimal wear. Only got a couple decent snows this past winter, but I was impressed with their snow performance, even though they are not [emoji3587] rated.
Also, still happy with my decision to use beads to balance.