New to diesel..cold weather questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fillman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6/7 HO 6.7
2021 3500 HO. Upstate NY cooler weather is here...along with the rut. Should be hunting. At any rate, what is common practice with;
-- plug in/don't plug in
-- Cetane booster
-- grill cover use-with weather dependent plow use, won't be driving all winter with it on

Thanks in advance

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Plug in if you want but not necessary. It will help it warm up quicker.

No need for cetane booster. If you think you are going to be in sub-arctic conditions for extended periods maybe a anti gel additive but winter fuel should be good enough for most cases. I never ran it when I lived in Colorado.

No need for a winter cover, your truck has active grille shutters

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
Dad lives in Virginia City, NV, has a 2011 6.7. I don't think he has ever plugged-in. Now its not below zero, but it gets in the single digits often during the winter months. Just take that as a data point. I'm not sure he knows how to....LOL

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ‘03 and ‘07 when newer started unplugged in -35 without hesitation. Only after they got miles on them, injectors tend to wear and such and they don’t fire up as crisp, but mainly I got over age 30 and decided I liked it warmer a bit earlier haha and started plugging in.

When I HEAVILY modified my ‘07 (200% injectors and three turbos) it was a requirement to plug it in. With no grid heater and only one battery, it became impossible to start much below 20, and difficult under 30, if not plugged in.

I do not believe in additives and refuse to use them. I’ve never had my truck gel up.

So, no you do not need to plug in, nor use any additives, nor need the cold front. The best feature is the manual high idle; when cold enough it will idle up to about 1000rpm by itself, but you can manually run it up to 1500 using cruise control. Best feature, I love it on my ‘07.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I always used PS additive in my 5.9. Got it at Wall Mart. Cheap one in below freezing weath. I did see a few trucks helped up in 5F degree weather.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
When I had my 91 CTD in northwest Connecticut, it was parked outside in a shelter. I had my truck plugged in and used timer. It would run for an hour before I went to work. That was enough time for the coolant to get warm enough to not call for preheat, and was warm enough to keep the windshield clear when we had freezing rain or snow. ( I would just fire up and go, rarely let the engine idle to warm up)

powerhour

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 and 2019 Classic
Engine
5.9 CTD and 5.7 Hemi
I live in Canada and don't plug it in until it gets around -15C (5F) I do run Hotshot additive every tank, so far no cold front. I may get one of toss some cardboard behind the grill. I only plug it in the night before if I remember, or a few hours before I need to warm the ***** up. Where I am at for work its -25C (-13F) and I bet I could fire the beast up right no unplugged. (But this temp I prefer to plug it in)

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Depending on where you're heading, some states (like here in Minnesota) mandate biodiesel, minimum 5% (B5) in winter. Soybean oil based biodiesel here gels at higher ambient temp than pure diesel fuel, in the 30F range.

Therefore, one must run an antigel additive and / or fuel heater not tied to engine coolant. Must be electric. You also might want to google which states mandate winter biodiesel if you plan to travel.

Modern diesel engines don't need cetane booster. These engines have extremely high fuel injection pressure resulting in sufficient fuel atomization to light. Back in the day, pump-line-nozzle mechanical systems needed cetane help due to low pressure and atomization.

Finally, plug in coolant, oil, fuel heater 1 hour prior to start up. Will start easier and get to operating temperature faster. Radiator air cover only if going highway speeds.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When I lived up north, all the stations switched to #1 diesel in the colder months. That kept gelling away, even at -30f temps.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
There is a difference between will start not plugged in and start much easier. Warming the coolant, block etc by plugging in is much easier on the motor. Most of your wear comes from cold starts, and the wear is far worse at -20. Diesel or gas, I plug them in and I use a 120 Volt in car warmer so the cab is above freezing and I don't have to scrape windows. I start them, let them idle 30 seconds and then drive away GENTLY. All motors warm much better under a light load than they do idling, and it starts to loosen up transmission, transfer case diffs etc.

All stations up here run winter diesel. To -55 I have never had it gel, even with no additives. With respect to grill covers, the new trucks have active shutters, before that we ran grill inserts and carpet between the front of the rad and grill to keep engine temp up. I LOVE active shutters.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Well here's my 2 cents.
Yes, these new common rail engines will start without being plugged in.
But why abuse your expensive engine.
Plug it in when possible it will start and run smoother and easier,
everything will come to temperature much sooner the cab will warm up faster.
I don't worry about a cetane boost I do worry about gelling, been there done that.
If you have spare filters and enjoy playing in freezing fuel oil go for it, once will cure you.
Most fuel stations do not blend fuel untill the temperature is going to be well below zero F.
They will add additives as it is cheaper to use additives then blend fuel.
I use Power Serve at the double dose strength and when it starts calling for -15F or colder
I will start blending my own fuel.
I always run a winter cover is it a necessity NO, however the engine and transmission will warm up faster
and the exhaust seems to warm up faster with less issures with regening.
Some will say that it makes no difference it seems too in my use.
The same as wet sloppy slush and blowing snow compared to the same tempertures but dry,
the exhaust regens complete faster and waste less fuel in cold dry weather then on sloopy
wet days.
I guess my main comment is many things aren't required for these trucks,
but why in the heck abuse them when it's not neccessary.

OP
OP
F

Fillman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6/7 HO 6.7
Good food for thought and info. Thanks fellas.