New to forum - new to RAM - want to love my EcoDiesel, but...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Engineersaab54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Bought my 2016 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel, Laramie in August, local, one-owner (from reputable used-car dealer), w/34,752 miles on it. LOVED it for the first 59 days. Then it had the melt-down at 36,150 on October 11th. Has been at the dealer ever since, with many many many shiny new parts replaced, but still not fixed.
New turbo. New EGR cooler. New sensors galore. Updated software. New fuel filter (not necessary). New intake (plastic tends to melt when it gets hot).

I really want to love this truck, but ….

Can anyone tell me why it's the 2014-2016 EcoDiesels that have the problems, but 2017-2018 don't seem to be having them? Saw a video today where a Chrysler rep stated that the 3.0 liter Gen1 engines were used in Europe, but not in the US, and that all RAM EcoDiesels up to 2020 had the Gen2 engine. Can anybody confirm or comment on that?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Sorry to hear you were one of the unlucky ones. Big question, do you do alot of short trips? If so id say make it a point to run the truck at highway speeds at least a few times a week. 10-20 mins is sufficient for normal regens to keep the system happy. And always keep an eye on coolant level. The EGR is currently recalled with no fix yet, so be prepared to bring it back soon for more new parts .

With the EPA mandated tuning update these truck regen constantly, run dirty and need to see extended trips. The Achilles heel of the ecodiesel is the EGR system and it's regeneration frequencies. Look into emissions in tact tunes. My truck is much happier, unfortunately the big go to company GDE got hit by the EPA so you might have to Google and possibly find a Canadian company. Even if you don't want to tune it, make sure you run it till it's hot, and take some 1/2 he rides to let the truck clean itself out.

The 3.0 is the same through all the 4th gen models. The 17s had a stop sale on them until the new tunes were certified with the EPA. There's plenty of 17s, 18s and 19 classics with these issues so don't feel so bad. It'***** or miss guys either go 20k with nothing but issues, or 200k problem free. The new 3.0 diesel, gen 2, is in the 2020 models. Supposedly the motor we have is the same as the euro model, just with emissions crap for sale in the US. The issues all stem from the emissions parts. EGG, SCR/DOC, DPF systems are all very problematic. That and the tuning on these trucks is very difficult as the systems are sensitive. I've had to pull my DEF injector and clean it 2 times now, and I'm constantly making sure to run the truck hot.

It's really an awesome truck, but short trips with the crappy emissions systems lead to the problem you have experienced. Unfortunately the only real solution is a delete, which for most guys isn't feasable. Our resale has tanked to the point I'm running the wheels off this thing.

There's a couple decent ecodiesel forums, but I don't post much since everyone is up in arms with all the crap goin on with our trucks. You have an awesome warranty, drive the thing like you stole it and enjoy it. Keep an eye on it and it will serve you well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Welcome sorry about your issues with your truck

OP
OP
Engineersaab54

Engineersaab54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
UPDATE: Got my truck back this afternoon (for the second time). So far, (15 miles) it’s purring like a kitten. Definitely running a little better than before the issue, but it should with cleaned injectors and everything new topside!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Engineersaab54

Engineersaab54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Watched a video on the Gen3 ED. Looks like they had to tweak the transmission to accommodate the upgrades to the engine, so my guess is that replacing a Gen2 with a Gen3 might also involve changing out the tranny.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Welcome! Glad the truck is running well. I have an 18. No issues at all (knock on wood) so far. I really love the little oil burner. Like @hodge-xj said, it's the emissions crap that causes the issues. I have very few miles on mine, but most of my trips are in the 30+ minute runs so regens get completed. These motors are put in high performance Maserati's overseas so they are pretty durable, it's the EPA that is killing them.

Seems like if you have to replace motors in these things, there would be more pollution generated in the disposal/recycling of the old motor, the manufacturing of the new motor plus the smoke from the fire than if they just ran these things with the emissions like they do in Europe and have them last forever.....

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Welcome! Glad the truck is running well. I have an 18. No issues at all (knock on wood) so far. I really love the little oil burner. Like @hodge-xj said, it's the emissions crap that causes the issues. I have very few miles on mine, but most of my trips are in the 30+ minute runs so regens get completed. These motors are put in high performance Maserati's overseas so they are pretty durable, it's the EPA that is killing them.

Seems like if you have to replace motors in these things, there would be more pollution generated in the disposal/recycling of the old motor, the manufacturing of the new motor plus the smoke from the fire than if they just ran these things with the emissions like they do in Europe and have them last forever.....
That's a pretty funny argument, but valid. I understand the push for environment, but automotive seems to be one of the lower end issues to worry about compared to say, sea travel and the current state of our oceans. But I digress. Drive the balls off these trucks and you'll learn to love it again. Just make sure you break in the new motor stuff properly.

I know I grin every time I stand on the throttle and this little oil burner pulls like a scalded dog. The worse I treated my Cummins the better it ran. I'm a firm believer that diesels like to be worked. Whether it's my buddies 2.9 CRD liberty, my 3.0 ED, or my old 5.9 Cummins, work it within it's design limits and make it sweat.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome

ACJCF2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman CC DRW 4X4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L (408 cid) TD
Welcome. Drive it like you stole it.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the Forum, I have a friend that has one and he claims that they have to be run so the Regen can clean the Emissions and the EGR has to be checked there are recalls out for them but the problem hasn't been corrected, Listen to the advise here these members have allot of experience and are willing to help!!!

Todd Cuell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco diesel
My 2016 is back in the shop again with an EGR cooler leaking again but this time it has leaked into the engine and coolant is on the heads. This truck has been a nightmare for me ever since I got it. I see now why I got such a great deal on it. They had to know what was coming at me. The first time that the EGR cooler went out my truck was melting everything plastic and carbon plastic on and in the engine. It was in the shop for over two months then. Now they are saying that this is not covered even thought it has failed before in the same matter. I have retained an attorney. This has got to stop. I have got myself a lemon with all the other items I have had to replace and repair.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
My 2016 is back in the shop again with an EGR cooler leaking again but this time it has leaked into the engine and coolant is on the heads. This truck has been a nightmare for me ever since I got it. I see now why I got such a great deal on it. They had to know what was coming at me. The first time that the EGR cooler went out my truck was melting everything plastic and carbon plastic on and in the engine. It was in the shop for over two months then. Now they are saying that this is not covered even thought it has failed before in the same matter. I have retained an attorney. This has got to stop. I have got myself a lemon with all the other items I have had to replace and repair.
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about the truck. How many miles were on the truck when you bought it and how many are on it now?