New to me 17 1500 with issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Digitus78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a used 17 tradesman 1500 4x4 with a 5.7 in it. Of course on the test drive it ran great. Alot more power and mpg than my burban. Got it home and the gremlins came out in full force.

1. I notice when I really get on it to pass another vehicle around 75mph the rear end feels like it's going to go sideways and launch me out of the truck. Also any little bump or rut in the highway catches a tire it pulls hard in that direction. I know it isn't breaking traction. Taking corners in it a little too fast will scare you too. My suburban didn't lean that hard.

2. Everyone talks about a vibration on here but what I'm experiencing is a wobbling like a bent rim but at freeway speeds only. 65 to 80 then it stops. Sometimes at low speeds 5mph I can feel it wobble a little bit. Checked the tires for bubbles or broken belts. Checked bushings and they didn't move also looked OK. The steering wheel doesn't vibrate at all. The alignment seems straight with no veering either way.

3. It was one of the quietest trucks I've ever heard until I drove it a few days. Then each morning it would sound like a diesel for a few minutes. -20 it's to be expected. Now even after driving to or from work. 90 miles one way It still has a slight diesel knock to it. It's not a lifter or rocker nor a exhaust leak. Listened both on top and below. I'm running 91 in it so I can't imagine it's a pre ignition issue. Definitely mid to lower engine.

This is my first dodge. Always been a chevy guy so I don't know the ins and outs of a hemi truck. So I'm hoping someone can help a little bit. Just don't want to wobble anymore or feel like I'm going to spin out passing someone.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Welcome to the forum :cheers:
As far as the tires vibrating between 60-80, it sounds like a tire balance issue, tire belt issue ( low speed wobble). As for the engine can you post a video so we can hear the sound? Could be a broken exhaust manifold bolts(s). When engine is cold see if the heat shields on the exhaust manifolds are loose, a sure sign of broken bolts.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It might help to rotate the tires - front to back. See if it feels different, more or less pronounced. If rears are out of balance, you will feel it in the wheel when you put the bad tire up front.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the Ram Forum, how many miles on your truck, maybe it's time for new tires and alignment.

I84885

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello welcome to the forum. I had similar issues awhile back . The steel belts in my tires were separating and they where fairly new tires I THOUGHT I had all 4 replaced and the problem went away. Good luck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
. I notice when I really get on it to pass another vehicle around 75mph the rear end feels like it's going to go sideways and launch me out of the truck. Also any little bump or rut in the highway catches a tire it pulls hard in that direction. I know it isn't breaking traction. Taking corners in it a little too fast will scare you too. My suburban didn't lean that hard.
Your driving a pick up truck, not a sports car. Without some suspension work it will handle like such, give everything a good check as you may have worn components. As comparison to your suburban, it had more weight over the rear axle that can make a big difference in handling. The rear suspension of these trucks are soft due in part to the coil suspension, good for the ride but needs help in the handling department consider upgrading the swaybar

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The rear suspension of these trucks are soft due in part to the coil suspension, good for the ride but needs help in the handling department consider upgrading the swaybar
I had some sway in my rear end, I put a Hellwig sway bar in the rear and it feels more planted if I hit bumps or uneven highway.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine's been knocking/tappng, etc for years. There have been guys who've rebuilt their engines who've had the knock return after a period. No shortage of info out there on it.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello welcome to the forum. I had similar issues awhile back . The steel belts in my tires were separating and they where fairly new tires I THOUGHT I had all 4 replaced and the problem went away. Good luck.
I have 4 trucks in my fleet. On my 1998 Chevrolet C3500 diesel, I had the Tire Rack suggest Kuhmo tires over my normal Firestone. I settled on the Firestones after much trial and error. They were either out of stock on Firestones or pushing the Kuhmo. I run heavily loaded and require load range E. I took the suggestion on the Kuhmo and the nightmare began. I had shaking, pulling to one side and an out-of balance feeling pretty much from the start. I had them re-balanced and rotated by the installing dealer and others. Even took this shimmying issue to the dealer. Re-mounting, re-balancing, tire rotations and even a driveshaft replacement never settled the issue. One day, running past Philadelphia international airport, I had a Kuhmo blowout. Put the spare on and continued my journey. The very next day, a second Kuhmo blew out. Put another old spare on and continued my journey. Guess what? The tire imbalance was gone. The Kuhmos were less than two years old, with minimal miles, and that was the cause of the problem all along. My guess was bad tires with belt separation on the inside. I called Tire Rack to inform them of the problem and they just blew me off. Not happy with their response, I left a scathing review of the tires which I never saw posted. From now on, I try to stick with the USA/north American built tires.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Crash68 hit it, you have half the weight over the rear end and are driving at speeds that would get many trucks squirrelly and a bump with no weight is going to pull/push you somewhere.
Then one tire may still have traction while the other tire spins up a bit and then comes back down to the road and it jerks some more. Put a secured set of weight, about 800 pounds, over the rear axle to mitigate that. That's item 1.

Item 2 could still be a rim or belts put front tires in rear and if problem goes away, replace what is bad. If vibration still persists you're going to need to start checking suspension components but since you feel it at a 5 mph crawl, it really has to be tire or rim. That is item 2.

Item 3, first stop running 91, your truck isn't built for that, your computer keeps trying to adjust things down to account for the wrong fuel, and you're wasting your money. Check your air intake, is it stock or some aftermarket thing? That could be exacerbating engine issues that are again not being helped by the 91. Check your plug wires, be sure they are all seated properly and not causing a misfire with a broken wire.

OP
OP
Digitus78

Digitus78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry for the long time to reply. Work weeks on then week off. Thank you all who helped and gave good advice.

So after new rear Shocks, rear sway bar links (both bad on right passenger side) and track bar the truck still had a bad shake and weird swaying. I was at my wits end and decided to get my tires rotated and rebalanced. Then just said screw it and got a whole new set. Had alignment checked and front end inspected. In the end it was just 4 bad tires wearing wrong. I

I think it was previous owner either slid off the road and created bad bald areas or wreck without insurance. The back passenger rim looks like it got slid on and the original tire was bald on the inner tread but only half way around. Really strange. Could of been a repo thing too .... dunno.

Once again thank you.for.all the help. It's driving sooo smooth now.

OP
OP
Digitus78

Digitus78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Item 3, first stop running 91, your truck isn't built for that, your computer keeps trying to adjust things down to account for the wrong fuel, and you're wasting your money. Check your air intake, is it stock or some aftermarket thing? That could be exacerbating engine issues that are again not being helped by the 91. Check your plug wires, be sure they are all seated properly and not causing a misfire with a broken wire.

It has a K&N CAI on it. Also has a catback dual exhaust installed on it.

Yeah I seen mid grade is recommended for it. Been running that now and still a wannabe diesel until warmed up all the way. Was told to use higher octane with the intake and exhaust being aftermarket. Get better mileage with mid just the knocking is annoying. Always sounds like I'm going to throw a rod.

Snoopy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always had Chev trucks I got Rammed and have learned alot! Hemis are expensive to work on! Got Hemi tic at 150k new factory crate engine installed at dealer 10k later back on the road. It it the most powerful, quietest, gas drinkingest truck I have ever owned. Every brand has there problems would i buy another one? No, only way would be 2500 big block.