New (to me) 2014 Longhorn 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Hello, new to the Forum. My wife (Tammi) and I just purchased our first pickup, a 2014 RAM 1500 Longhorn. A little background: We are the proud parents of eight (8!) kids (yes, all from us two), so, in order to be able to haul the kids around, we needed a big van. We were also campers (travel trailer). So we picked up a used 1999 Chevrolet Express (extended) in 2000 (one-year old with 28Kmi). This has been a great van for us for these many years. Well, now that the kids are growing up and leaving, we only have the two youngest at home now, so we are able to downsize our vehicle(s).

We have been looking primarily at Suburban's, but Tammi happened to see this truck on-line and said "Isn't this a nice looking truck?" Yea, I said, but it probably can't tow our trailer, it's only a 1500. Then we looked it up on the Trailer Life tow ratings for 2014 and found that the 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab eight speed with 5.7' bed has a tow rating of 10,050 pounds with the 3.92 gears. Perfect, we wanted 10,000 pounds (our trailer weighs about 8,000). OK, does it have the eight speed transmission and 3.92 gears?? Called the dealer and asked, "We'll get back to you" they said. I really didn't think it would, but they called back and said that they checked based on the VIN and it did have the 3.92 and eight speed transmission (I have since verified that). Great, let's go look at it.

It looked and drove great and had 30,000 miles on it, so we brought it home. We really like it and went on our first camping trip towing the trailer (a 2005 30' Airstream) for 10 days, just got back yesterday. The truck towed the trailer great. The ride is a bit different than with the long wheelbase van, and it is softer sprung since it is a 1500 versus a 2500 van. The RAM has lots (!) of power, the van had a 5.7 in it too, but it was rated at 255 HP and 330 lb-ft torque; versus the 395 HP and 407 lb-ft torque. The van did have 4.10 rear gears which helped a lot, but just not the same as having good power.

A bit more about me: I have always been a MOPAR guy, my first car was a 66 Valiant with a slant six. Then, when in college, I purchased a 57 Chrysler 300C with the first 392 Hemi and dual quads that was not running. I had to sell it after getting married and life got in the way (I did get it running though before selling it). Then in 2006 I bought a 66 Barracuda Formula S four speed that I have been working on since. It is a blast to drive. I just sold that to my brother, so now I have another MOPAR that is filling the void well (and it has a Hemi!!).

I have a few questions about the RAM (it is originally a Canada truck). What is (from the build sheet):
- Electronic Stability Control
- Front Bumper Sight Shields
- Engine Block Heater
- 4.5 Additional Gallons of Gas (it has the 32 gallon tank)

I am still learning how everything works.

Thanks for listening and for the help,
David

Last edited:

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
From one Longhorn owner to another, welcome aboard! :)

I have a few questions about the RAM (it is originally a Canada truck).

Only bad thing about a Canada truck in the U.S. is no warranty. Canadian warranties do not transfer to the USA (and I believe its also vice versa). So unless the dealership gave you something that they themselves will guarantee, or you bought a 3rd party warranty, there isn't one.

What is (from the build sheet):
- Electronic Stability Control

Best way to explain this is below in a few articles from Wikipedia and Truck Trend. Basically, it smartly/automatically applies brakes when it detects loss of traction.
Truck Trend - Electronic Stability Control - Shop Class
Wikipedia - Electronic stability control

- Front Bumper Sight Shields

Those are the plastic trim pieces around the fog lights or in other holes in the bumper. Basically, you see nice, smooth plastic instead of the suspension/frame/etc. parts underneath the truck that are behind the bumper.

- Engine Block Heater

There is a 120v plugin under the hood. You plug it into an outlet and a small heater is powered in the engine block, so that when its cold (think winter/below freezing), the really cold starts aren't quite as hard on the engine and it warms up faster. When I used to have them, I would use it in conjunction with an outlet timer, so that it would only power the heater for a few hours before I took off for work in the morning. No sense on it heating the truck all night while you're sleeping, in my view.

If its still in the factory location (previous owner didn't move it around a bit), this video will show you where its at.

- 4.5 Additional Gallons of Gas (it has the 32 gallon tank)

This is nothing for you, unfortunately. It meant that from the factory (or from the dealer), when brand new, the truck came with 4.5 gallons of gas in the tank extra instead of whatever they "normally" come with from the factory.

I am still learning how everything works.

Thanks for listening and for the help,
David

No problem at all. I'm still learning about the truck, even after owning it for a couple years. Right when you think you got it all figured out, it will surprise you; you'll discover something you never knew you had. :waytogo:

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Welcome to the club! Only question I have, is how do you fit all 10 of you in the cab of the truck?:dogpile:

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats on the purchase of your Longhorn, you'll love it

FlaSeadude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your purchase of a Longhorn! I also had a 2014 Longhorn and absolutely loved it! Unfortunately, we moved and our new residence had a parking garage and the truck was too big to fit in my designated spot. So, I traded it for a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT...IMG_4019.JPG Good luck with it!. I still miss mine (although the SRT is Fun).

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello and :welcome: to the forum!! Lots of great people here and a ton of info so read lots, contribute when you can and get ready for the modifications you will find you will want/need
Enjoy your truck and congratz

OP
OP
Longhorn1500

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Thank you ALL for the replies and welcomes. So far the truck is great, with a few issues that should be easy to correct. Yea, I knew about the warranty on a Canada vehicle, we did purchase a third-party warranty. I will post pictures when I get some. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Longhorn1500

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Hello jasonw, I see that you replaced the original (I assume) Rear Anti-Sway Bar with a Hellwig. I think I might want to do that to help with the towing. Did you notice a difference with this?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
WELCOME and CONGRATs on you new to you RAM.. I love mine and FYI you beat me on kids I have 5 :O Thought I was the only crazy one lol.. I would not trade any of my kids for anything, they are one of the best things to happen to me :) And the grand kids make it even more special :)

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:welcome:to the Forum from Tri-Cities, WA. Congrats on your new Rig

I heard a rumor that Northwest Motorsports was going out of business......?

OP
OP
Longhorn1500

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
^^^ Maybe they are, but they have about nine locations. Maybe some of the locations are not profitable. We went to one of them in Puyallup, WA (there were like three of them an the way to the location with this truck). Tacoma traffic is terrible!!!