New to me, 2015 RAM 1500 Short Box Regular cab 4X4. Pitfalls and Joys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kejar7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just bought a 2015 with 32000 km . (20000 miles).
Any pitfalls from the long term owners to look out for? Is this still in the hemi tick era?
What does the fuel mpg to be expected?
Anyone know what refridgerant is running in the A/C unit, blows cool not cold.
Rick

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Any pitfalls from the long term owners to look out for? Is this still in the hemi tick era?
Rick
You'll have the gold plated 1234 freon.If you're around the Calgary/Airdrie area ,W&B Auto in Airdrie is set up for the new stuff.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like a real nice truck. Here are items that come to mind.

1) Exhaust Manifolds: Expect the exhaust manifolds to warp. They warp after so many heat/cool cycles. In fact, if you wanted to do yourself a favor, you might remove them around 'now' time-frame, and have them belt-sanded or machined ...before they break the head bolts (then it's a much harder job). Don't buy new manifolds, they'll just eventually warp in the future. Get the ones you have machined or belt-sanded smooth ...they won't warp again once warped.

2) Hemi-tick: You're not out of the woods. Some hemi-tick might be exhaust leakage from warped manifolds. But the more chronic 'tick' might or might not happen. Use good oil like Penzoil Ultra Premium Synthetic, or another real good oil (people say). And just enjoy the truck. That can also help prolong your lifters (next item)

3) Roller Lifters/Cam problem: Use good oil and just enjoy the truck. Most owners never have a problem. Some do.

4) Electronic Power Steering Ram Failure: This seems like a new thing happening where the EPS can flake out. Expensive to replace. The control board area on the EPS rack seems to get water/moisture in it. How to avoid: Make sure all tie rod boots are firmly in place so no water can intrude. Avoid driving in water ...cross your fingers. If you have an issue, remove the square cover and see if there's moisture in the control board area. Try drying with a hair dryer ...and seal the cover back on.

5) Rust: If it's been driven in salt ..or you plan to drive it in the winters, definitely get it undercoated as soon as you can. The rockers/box wheelwells/cab corners/tailgate are well documented rust areas for the rust-belt guys. Even the middle of the front fender too. Wash off, under and around regularly. A guy I know, his 2013 is showing quite a bit of unsightly rust-through.

6) Seat Cover: Getting in/out of the truck tends to wear out the edge of the driver's seat cover. There's a pretty stout metal bar around the perimeter of the bottom seat cushion. If you can install some sort of step or running board and train yourself how to get in/out w/o putting strain on that area, it can prolong it's life. If you have to replace it, buy a genuine Mopar seat cushion. I bought an aftermarket one, it was super stiff. Then bought a Mopar foam bottom. Definitely OEM quality is the way to go.

7) Wierd Dash Light and No start: The TIPM (computer) seems to need real good and clean battery power. Weak grounds or dirty cable connections seem to cause wierd issues on these RAMs. Seen it myself on my own vehicle. If your truck suddenly won't start or you get a lot of wierd dash lights and messages, the first thing to look for are batt connetions and your battery condition. Not just voltage, but a load test. The fix: Make sure your truck has a good battery with clean battery terminal. And the engine/body grounds are good.

8) Traction control/4x4/Brake dash lights: These come up from time to time. Usually on higher mileage rigs. Often a failed wheel speed sensor or damaged speed sensor wire. The brake switches can fail too. But usually after many many miles. But if you see these dash lights, don't panic, get your computer scanned for codes.

9) Misc: The rest of the issues that come to mind are just general things that can happen to any vehicle: HVAC vent actuators, upper ball joints, wheel bearings, etc. I wouldn't worry much about them unless they fail.

10) Tranny: What transmission does your truck have? 8-spd or the Mopar 6-spd? There's nothing wrong with either transmission. But the 8-spd changing/checking the fluid is another matter. 6-spd is easier to check/service. Just something different to get used to if you have the 8-spd. Make a note when yours should be changed. (not yet).

Overall the trucks are solid. Don't take the above list as a list of for-sure weaknesses. They're just things to be aware of and stay cool about if you see them. Hey, let's see a picture of your truck!!

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Joys are many!

1) Smiles when you drive

2) Getting out of deep snow and the muck when needed

3) Rams Ride super smooth

4) No problem passing slow drivers

5) Chicks will suddenly be scanning your social media pages

6) SB/RC trucks are seriously cool.

7) Good aftermarket support (4th gen Ram is longest running model tk)

8) Should hold it's value well.

...And much, much more!!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Rick
We need some pic's Rick. ;)

OP
OP
K

Kejar7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried attaching a few photos. Hope this worked

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Attachments

• DSCN4937 (2).JPG
    DSCN4937 (2).JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN5257 (2).JPG
    DSCN5257 (2).JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3418 (2).JPG
    IMG_3418 (2).JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4007.JPG
    IMG_4007.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3996.JPG
    IMG_3996.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Located in Alberta Beach, originally from Ont.
Your a bit away from me,i'm in Airdrie,but there's the odd guy from Edmonton on here. If you need any work done on your truck,Tim at Total Truck in Spruce Grove is a pretty decent guy to deal with,he won't try to upsell you.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Damn heres the twin to yours,lol.I swapped the Sport grill to the honeycomb grill though.Where abouts in Alberta are you located,there's a few of us on here.Is the truck from BC or Saskatchewan,the front plate holder looks like a BC or Saskatchewan addition

Looking at the pic of the under the rear end I'm curious if this is a daily driver ... however, it is a good and clean looking truck!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Looking at the pic of the under the rear end I'm curious if this is a daily driver ... however, it is a good and clean looking truck!
Up till the pandemic it was a daily driver,now it sits more then it moves,as it's tuned for 94 octane,and my butt puckers everytime i have to fill it,our gas prices in Canada suck,lol.You might say i'm a bit anall though,it gets the under carriage washed at the local coin-op wash weekly,and every few months it gets jacked up,and i hand wash the bottom side of it.I work on my own vehicles,and i hate them dirty,lol. I have a dealer tech that's a good buddy,and he'll help me out every once inawhile,and he swears up and down it's cleaner then the brand new stuff he works on,lol.It's a 2014,so it's not new by any stretch

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Up till the pandemic it was a daily driver,now it sits more then it moves,as it's tuned for 94 octane,and my butt puckers everytime i have to fill it,our gas prices in Canada suck,lol.You might say i'm a bit anall though,it gets the under carriage washed at the local coin-op wash weekly,and every few months it gets jacked up,and i hand wash the bottom side of it.I work on my own vehicles,and i hate them dirty,lol. I have a dealer tech that's a good buddy,and he'll help me out every once inawhile,and he swears up and down it's cleaner then the brand new stuff he works on,lol.It's a 2014,so it's not new by any stretch

Yep, where I reside gas prices are not as high as they are in most other "northern" places but still are high as a giraffe's **** and it shouldn't be.
I may get off of my dead tail and clean up the bottom of my truck as I have alot of time now and it most definitely wouldn't hurt.
Down here in Louisiana we don't have the "road salt" issues during the winter months, so most of us don't think about washing the underside of our vehicles, but if the roads do ice up, the Parish(county) will go out and salt/sand them down for the "southern maniac motorist" who have to just get out and GO! Usually most places are closed for that very reason that folks down here are not very good at driving on ice ...

I'm curious as to what you use to clean the underside as I'm looking at cleaning mine up. tia!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yep, where I reside gas prices are not as high as they are in most other "northern" places but still are high as a giraffe's **** and it shouldn't be.
I may get off of my dead tail and clean up the bottom of my truck as I have alot of time now and it most definitely wouldn't hurt.
Down here in Louisiana we don't have the "road salt" issues during the winter months, so most of us don't think about washing the underside of our vehicles, but if the roads do ice up, the Parish(county) will go out and salt/sand them down for the "southern maniac motorist" who have to just get out and GO! Usually most places are closed for that very reason that folks down here are not very good at driving on ice ...

I'm curious as to what you use to clean the underside as I'm looking at cleaning mine up. tia!
I use my own mix of Mothers Protectant and Back to Black mixed 1/3 with 2/3's water,after i hand wash the chassis,if you need any touch up painting Tremclad semi gloss black is a pretty close match to the factory black chassis paint.The only thing i've ever really painted was the diff,as the diff under my truck is a used diff,that's been completely rebuilt with a True Trac and 3.55's and has the early Illicit relocation brackets welded to it.My original low milege 3.21 diffs are in storage.If i didn't have a bunch of money into this diff,the 3.21's would be back under it,as i never gained squat at the dragstrip with the 3.55's,and the 3.21's gave me alot better milege,and way lower oil temps then the 3.55's do,but then again,the magority of miles the truck see's are on the local freeway where the average cruising speed is 80+ mph.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I use my own mix of Mothers Protectant and Back to Black mixed 1/3 with 2/3's water,after i hand wash the chassis,if you need any touch up painting Tremclad semi gloss black is a pretty close match to the factory black chassis paint.The only thing i've ever really painted was the diff,as the diff under my truck is a used diff,that's been completely rebuilt with a True Trac and 3.55's and has the early Illicit relocation brackets welded to it.My original low milege 3.21 diffs are in storage.If i didn't have a bunch of money into this diff,the 3.21's would be back under it,as i never gained squat at the dragstrip with the 3.55's,and the 3.21's gave me alot better milege,and way lower oil temps then the 3.55's do,but then again,the magority of miles the truck see's are on the local freeway where the average cruising speed is 80+ mph.

Ok, good and I appreciate that. I'll give it a try.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok, good and I appreciate that. I'll give it a try.
I'm cheap,so i water down the mix i use, that way it doesn't give you the slimy look that you'd get using it straight,i also use the same mix under the hood and on the tires.Best thing i've did to the truck was adding a bedrug,it makes it easier on old guy knees,lol.The fuel cell at the front of the box,is the dedicated fuel supply for the nitrous,and it's kept full of MS109, there's a 75lb Group 34 AGM battery in the relocated battery box,for traction.I'll admit the truck is more toy then truck,but it's alot of fun.I have a few buddies with manual transmission Hellcats that won't line up beside it at the track,as they have to really be on the ball to beat the truck through the lights,and on the 1/8th mile tracks,it eats their Hellcats,and gives the A8 Hellcats a hell'va run for their money,on the street it'll beat the majority of A8 Hellcats,as the truck hooks and screws off on their Hellcats,lol.I put the truck together 7 years ago,and at the time was one of the fastest 4th Gen 8 speed 4X4's ,now the guys have caught up and passed it,but it's mild enough my wife has no problems driving it,and i have no intention of taking it farther,as it's reliable,lol

Attachments

• IMG_3988.JPG
    IMG_3988.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3990.JPG
    IMG_3990.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4000.JPG
    IMG_4000.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn heres the twin to yours,lol.

Well, one's 2wd, the other 4x4. Both seriously great-looking trucks!