New to me 2016 Ram 1500....... jump/lurch/bump when stopping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Micah12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve never driven it in tow/haul unless I’m towing my boat, and I still have some pretty violent clunks and lurches when doing so.

I just went to a local mechanic who has worked on my vehicles in the past

He said it may be the "Universal Joints " are bad? There are two

Does this make any sense?

Micah12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update:

So, I've tried everything you guys have suggested, other than greasing the splines on the drive shaft, so I suppose that is my next step.

I tried turning off the MDS by using the gear select and selecting D8, and I tried using the tow/haul mode. I felt no difference either way.... tranny still shifts hard when downshifting and jumps at the 2:1 shift.

I did notice though that my eco light never comes on. Even when in standard D. I didnt know I had one until you guys pointed it out. Read on another forum that in order to see the eco light I need to play with settings and "activate" or something, in order for the light to turn on. So I'll try that. But I also read that the "eco" light doesn't necessarily coincide 100% with the MDS. It's more of a fuel consumption thing. And the light turns on when your above a certain mpg. So just because the light is on doesn't always mean you have dropped to 4 cylinders.

So anyways.... the hunt for the fix is still on, thanks for all the help guys

Bubba,

Curious to see if greasing the splines cured your issue?

ReezyA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rezzy,
I am battling for a new drive shaft, which Chrysler is ignoring.

What location did you have your issue resolved?

I can use any help at this point. The bump stop and lurching is awful, new tranny and value body, and tranny re-learn did nothing.

It was at Glendale Chrysler in St. Louis

kdubb88

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic-2wd
Engine
5.7L
Hello all. I just spent about 20,000 miles and a year and a half trying to get the dealership to "duplicate the problem". I finally was success full and just before the factory warranty expires. Bad slip joint on the drive shaft. Ram replaced the entire drive shaft and carrier bearing as a whole unit. 56,000 miles on it. Hoping that this shaft is better over the long haul. Right now, no lurching, clunking or bumping. (2019, 5.7L, 8 spd, 1500, Quad Cab, 2WD)

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
Sometime turning off hill assist has worked for some folks. If it isn't extremely violent it has to due with the way the 8speeds downshift and is not bad

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01