New-to-me truck at the dealer. Again!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hirsbrunner

Hirsbrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They replaced the bad wheel and reimbursed me for the center cap. I appreciate the thought, though!

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I expect to hear something from them today.

To be clear, I understand recalls happen. No issues with that portion.

But, seems to me Carmax cut their corners a little bit. How they didn't notice the rear wheel is really beyond me. I'll do my best to get them to cover it. I'm totally prepared to give them a phone call (or several). Normally, I'm not one to do that, but I refuse to pay a whole bunch of money for a rim that CAME to me damaged.

My biggest concern is those actuators. If they indeed are bad, that's a big job. I have no concern that they will be covered, but I am concerned with them puling the dash and screwing other things up.
So it's ok for you, the buyer, not to notice the rear wheel, but how how dare Carmax not notice? Glad they're doing right by you, but if neither you nor them noticed it, I wouldn't hold that against them.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Absolutely glad I bought the warranty. I guess my frustration is due to me writing them a $XX,*** check and they (I think) hadn't done their inspection of the truck. I'm happy I won't have to pay anything, but it is a big inconvenience not having my truck.

If anyone's interested, they gave me a Chevy Equinox to drive around in the mean time.:Big Laugh:

I think I must be missing something here.
You wrote a $xxxx check for the truck and believe 'They' did not do their 125 point inspection?

Do I got that?

If so, my question is:
Why didn't you inspect the truck, before writing the check?
If not qualified to inspect, properly, then pay to have it done by your mechanic.

Chill out.

Every buyer, whether new or used, should inspect the vehicle being purchased.
Even supposedly NEW cars can have hidden damage that gets discovered, later.

Do NOT place blame, every where, but where, it should be placed.
Specially when it's ones own shortcomings.
LEARN from this, so it does happen again.

Educations cost money.
Sounds, to me, like you just paid some Car Buying Tuition Fees.

Do NOT let the money spent, or this experience, go to waste.
These kinds of lessons tend to get more costly, the longer it takes to learn them.

Again, i am truly sorry for your Woes and hope all gets resolved to your satisfaction.
Hope, even more, that yo learn from this and it NEVER happens again.

Snoopy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im betting they did zero inspection. I hope they make it right for you.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It is terrible all that happened on this truck. But...

Agree with gofishn, the complete onus is on the buyer to ensure a complete and thorough inspection is conducted. Carfax can help, but isn't any type of guarantee. Before spending the money to buy a vehicle one must have a trusted, independent mechanic perform a complete inspection. Will this fund ever problem, no. But it will find those very visible things, or items that can be at least considered a potential problem through a bit more investigation such as taking plug off rear differential to inspect fluid.

I figure if such an inspection can't be afforded then the vehicle is not the right one because the purchase is zapping all your money and some underlying problem is certainly going to be more expensive. And don't just think a warranty is going to be the answer; all of those companies are in business for one reason - to make money. They'll deny if at all possible.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I think the military term for their 125 point inspection is called "pencil whipping".

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am happy for you, everything worked out

The sellers of the vehicle would have taken pictures, so they would know that the rim was messed up, as soon as you mentioned it. They love their cameras :)

By the way, if another actuator were to go bad.
Always buy a Mopar actuator, they are made better than any after market actuator.
They cost about $ 40 each & they are interchangeable.
With just a few simple tools, YOU can change actuators out in maybe 30 minutes.

If a blend or mode door is not working, it is sometimes the broken door, then the whole HVAC Unit would have to be pulled from behind the dashboard.

We try to guide Ram owners through good & bad

Good Luck