New to Mopar with a big headache.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buckcreek_53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L/ 318
Howzit!
Have a 96 that just quit sitting in the drive idling. Won't start. Has fuel pressure, spark and cranks. Still no start. Have changed the crankshaft position sensor, the distributor ignition coil, the AIC, TPS, and MAP. Just stumped. I have noticed that when the ignition is in the on position, the Gen light and Chk Engn light blink and it sounds like something electric is opening and shutting. Not used to working on stuff with a "Brain". LOL.
Thanks in advance for any input on this!

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Have you noticed any shifting issues or shuttering or no overdrive recently. I seem to recall that if the torque converter control solenoid fails/shorts, it sends a no start to the computer. Maybe that's the clicking you hear? Just my two cents. You can probably google it to find out where it is on the transmission. I think you can just unplug it to test it. If its causing the problem, the truck should start with it unplugged and will run fine, just won't go into OD. Cheap test.

If you can get a hold of a OBDII reader, you might check for thrown codes too. That might help lead you down the right trail. Good luck

OP
OP
Buckcreek_53

Buckcreek_53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L/ 318
Thanks!
Shifted fine. Tried a scanner and no codes thrown. Had hard reset the PCM before this happened after changing the Crank sensor.

Did restart for about 15 sec after I changed the crank position sensor, then just quit. Was running fine before it quit the first time.

FreaknAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the neutral safety switch. Hopefully it's something simple like this, put it in neutral then see if it'll start.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If that doesn't work I might would try a noid light on the injectors. May have fuel pressure but no opening injectors. Disconnect battery for hour or so, (you may have done this when changing it if you have a new battery.) Check all fuses, especially pcm and injector related ones. Also how many times have you tried to crank, im assuming many. I had an s 10 one time i disconnected battery for long time. It took 8 attempts then the engine started and run real rough for a minute until it started to relearn,then ran fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Buckcreek_53

Buckcreek_53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L/ 318
The Neutral safety switch. That's for manual trans, right. Mine is an automatic

OP
OP
Buckcreek_53

Buckcreek_53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L/ 318
Thanks for all the suggestions. Took changing the PCM to fix the problem. Starts and runs great.