New to ram and have a radio swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baggyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

This may be a know thing but I searched and didn't find an answer.

I bought a 2017 2500 Laramie (flood) truck and I'm in the process of restoring it. The radio, and many other things, is shot but I'm having an issue finding the exact match at a scrap yard. I found one thats close but not quite the same number. Its out of a 2017 1500 Laramie. My question is, does it really matter what model number is on it?

The one I found:
68270657AG Model: VP3 NA

The original in the truck:
68270661AE Model VP4 NA

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I Beleive everything else is plug and play.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Baggyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So does RA3=VP3 and RA4=VP4?

IF so, and if I'm reading that article correctly, does that mean navigation is disabled in a RA3/VP3? Would you, or anyone else, know is that can be turned on via alfaobd or can a dealer program it?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
So does RA3=VP3 and RA4=VP4?

IF so, and if I'm reading that article correctly, does that mean navigation is disabled in a RA3/VP3? Would you, or anyone else, know is that can be turned on via alfaobd or can a dealer program it?

Thanks for the quick reply!
I have th vp3 in my truck from factory. I told them I wouldnt buy the truck without nav. You can buy a nav unlock code from u connect to enable it. Roughly $500 I Beleive. Can't enable Through alfaobd unfortunately, if you can get the ra4 for a few bucks more I'd get it. Definateky test it to ensure nav is unlocked tho. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Baggyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any idea if I bought one from another vehicle (Jeep) can the start up screen be reprogrammed?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any idea if I bought one from another vehicle (Jeep) can the start up screen be reprogrammed?
You can install any 8.4 radio from a 2013 to 2017 Jeep or ram. It will automatically download your trucks splash screen and themes once it reads your BCM. You can purchase a 8.4 VP4 NA on Ebay for around $550 or less. You can get the VP3 NA non Nav for around $350 There is NO special programming or anything else involved as some companies claim when they sell them at inflated prices. I also purchase radios off of eBay or directly from wrecking yards because in most cases the Vin number is supplied with the radio which makes future firmware updates easy to download. They also come with a 30 to 90 day warranty depending who you get them from. You will need to get the security unlock code from the dealer or several other places on line for $15. As stated the NA on the end of the part # stands for North America. This is the one you want if you want to replace your radio with the same options. Radios with the CA on the end of the part# are from Canada and have less options than the US version. I reccomend getting s 16 or newer radio because the Nav version will have the Travelink and Traffic free for five years. The 15 radio does as well but if you plan on installing a cargo cam the backup cam will revert to the rearview mirror when it's installed unless the radio has the 17.11.07 firmware. As stated if you want the nav definitely get the VP4 NA as it has more features in its navigation plus HD radio that the VP3 does not have. Long story short find a VP4 NA out of a 16 or 17 ram or Jeep Grand Cherokee and you're good to go

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Special K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Does it matter if the radio is from a Grand Cherokee or a plain old Cherokee? Also, I have noticed that some RA3s say with satellite and some say without. Is that referring to the Nav or Satellite radio?

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yes because I had a radio problem and they replaced my RA-4 nav radio with a RA-4 radio from a 2016 jeep wrangler

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio