New To Ram Trucks. Bought a company with one

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxpower29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As it says, I bought into a company that has a 2016 RAM 3500 which was close to new when I started driving it. Its a 4x4 4 door long box 6.7 cummins and I have been driving it on and off for a year now. I am deciding to use it as my daily driver because I need a truck all the time and instead of letting it sit there I know its better to use it.
Just looking for any info I would not be aware of regarding maintenance etc as it now has 60k kms and I want to keep up on the correct stuff to make sure it keeps in good shape.
Also it is does not have a backup camera or handsfree, any way to easily add this into the truck? Would be very beneficial for me because I get 100 calls a day and wont talk and drive.

RAM3500.jpg

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
As it says, I bought into a company that has a 2016 RAM 3500 which was close to new when I started driving it. Its a 4x4 4 door long box 6.7 cummins and I have been driving it on and off for a year now. I am deciding to use it as my daily driver because I need a truck all the time and instead of letting it sit there I know its better to use it.
Just looking for any info I would not be aware of regarding maintenance etc as it now has 60k kms and I want to keep up on the correct stuff to make sure it keeps in good shape.
Also it is does not have a backup camera or handsfree, any way to easily add this into the truck? Would be very beneficial for me because I get 100 calls a day and wont talk and drive.

View attachment 163359

Air filter, also. Do the cabin air filter for the benefit of the heater core (they do not come with the filter, but easy to add) differential fluids, transfer case fluid, trans fluid and filters, grease the front drive shaft at the carnagian (can’t spell today) joint, and that should be it (basically everything I’m doing to my truck soon with 36000 miles)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Maxpower29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for. I had a newer Tacoma before and did everything myself possible so I plan on getting to know this truck better also

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for. I had a newer Tacoma before and did everything myself possible so I plan on getting to know this truck better also

Yeah. Geno’s garage (site sponsor) is great for getting the filters and other parts you may need, everytime I’ve ordered from them, I’ll get their stuff way before my amazon stuff has even shipped most the time

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
ANy idea on the camera or hands free?

I’m not sure. Mine came with the 5.0 uconnect system and back up camera w/ park sensors, I’m guessing yours has the 3.0, it should be able to swap the 5.0 radio in and wire in the camera, might get a faster answer on the interior sub-section, as that is abit outside of my knowledge

OP
OP
M

Maxpower29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the stock one that came with it. Seems like with searching it may be a lot of work. Im considering trading the truck in for a new 3500 but the fleet program only has good prices right now on the new chevs and I like the Rams better. So i'll see how this plays out first

ramradio.jpg

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
What maintenance needs to be done depends on the trans in it. The 68RFE(trans dipstick on passanger side) needs the filter changed every 120k miles. The Aisin(dipstick on drivers side) is every 30k miles.

Fuel/oil filter change every 15k miles, air filter every 30k miles, crank case filter every 60k miles, and valve lash adjustment at 150k miles.

You might want to do a turbocharger/EGR cleaning every 60k miles depending on your driving. If mainly city with a lot of idling then yes, but if mostly highway then it most likely will not be needed.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
This is the stock one that came with it. Seems like with searching it may be a lot of work. Im considering trading the truck in for a new 3500 but the fleet program only has good prices right now on the new chevs and I like the Rams better. So i'll see how this plays out first

View attachment 163360

Yeah. That’s the uconnect 3.0, the 5.0 shares the same trim and heater controls, so it shouldn’t be a complex upgrade like going to the 8.4 like the big horn (optional) and Laramie/limited has (standard), I know people have swapped out to the 5.0, but I’ve had the 5.0 in both my tradesman package trucks.
b92bd5b531d18832fe238146e9539bd7.jpg

That’s the only pic of the 5.0 I have on my phone (have my car at work today) and the 5.0 has the reverse camera play thru the screen also

OP
OP
M

Maxpower29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah. That’s the uconnect 3.0, the 5.0 shares the same trim and heater controls, so it shouldn’t be a complex upgrade like going to the 8.4 like the big horn (optional) and Laramie/limited has (standard), I know people have swapped out to the 5.0, but I’ve had the 5.0 in both my tradesman package trucks.
b92bd5b531d18832fe238146e9539bd7.jpg

That’s the only pic of the 5.0 I have on my phone (have my car at work today) and the 5.0 has the reverse camera play thru the screen also

Ok so hopefully it should not be a big job. Any recommendations on where to buy one?

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What maintenance needs to be done depends on the trans in it. The 68RFE(trans dipstick on passanger side) needs the filter changed every 120k miles. The Aisin(dipstick on drivers side) is every 30k miles.

Fuel/oil filter change every 15k miles, air filter every 30k miles, crank case filter every 60k miles, and valve lash adjustment at 150k miles.

You might want to do a turbocharger/EGR cleaning every 60k miles depending on your driving. If mainly city with a lot of idling then yes, but if mostly highway then it most likely will not be needed.

No way I’d wait 120k on the trans filter, filters are cheap, the transmission is not, seems like common consensus here is 20-30k on fluid and filters if you want max life out of the Chrysler trans

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Ok so hopefully it should not be a big job. Any recommendations on where to buy one?

Probably here, or eBay, not many people like to keep the 5.0’s, everyone wants the 8.4, yes it’s nicer. But for me the 5.0 does what I want

OP
OP
M

Maxpower29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably here, or eBay, not many people like to keep the 5.0’s, everyone wants the 8.4, yes it’s nicer. But for me the 5.0 does what I want

Any place to buy new? Might need to so I can claim as an expense

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I have a tradesman. I found a ra2 radio locally for sale for $35 lol. That’s a frigging steal. I had front and rear cameras installed the other day. $1,100ish and I can use my cameras whenever I want. I just need to install a mic for Bluetooth.

3129297E-D5EB-4A1D-8A7D-856A94E38005.jpeg

0DE42749-7A31-43E1-9C9B-E6A8F74FDEFB.jpeg

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
No way I’d wait 120k on the trans filter, filters are cheap, the transmission is not, seems like common consensus here is 20-30k on fluid and filters if you want max life out of the Chrysler trans

We have a few 68RFE's at a some of our locations with more than 150k without the trans being touched. My brother sold his deleted 2010 to a friend who has over 250k on it and it hasn't been touched either. He is a fishing guide so it has a bay boat behind it most of the time.

My trans builder who built my custom 68RFE recommends 60k, but that is mainly because I am pumping out much higher line pressure than stock to handle my added power.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
We have a few 68RFE's at a some of our locations with more than 150k without the trans being touched. My brother sold his deleted 2010 to a friend who has over 250k on it and it hasn't been touched either. He is a fishing guide so it has a bay boat behind it most of the time.

My trans builder who built my custom 68RFE recommends 60k, but that is mainly because I am pumping out much higher line pressure than stock to handle my added power.

Wow. I personally wouldn’t go that long on a set of filters, maybe I’m abit paranoid over the 90’s/early 2000’s trans issues, and watch too much YouTube. But I feel that’s pushing it too far. Even 60, is a lot for a filter

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Wow. I personally wouldn’t go that long on a set of filters, maybe I’m abit paranoid over the 90’s/early 2000’s trans issues, and watch too much YouTube. But I feel that’s pushing it too far. Even 60, is a lot for a filter

How long you can go between changes (both trans engine)mainly depends on the contamination carrying capacity of the pan, the contamination capacity of the filter, and the stress and temps the oil/fluid was subjected to between intervals.

When I worked at Cummins, we made deep pan options which extended the interval of the oil in almost all engines. Fleetguard (aka Cummins filtration) also had longer oil filter option which extended the oil change interval as well. Both the filter and pan were made from the exact same material as the normal one, just bigger.

I have added a deep Mag-Hytec on pan my built 68RFE which would allow it to hold more contaminants the the stock one, but the trans fluid line pressure my Revmax valve body is pushing 100 psi more than stock so that is why my re-builder said 60k max.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
in terms of the backup camera and Bluetooth, if you're not looking for anything super fancy a more cost effective way to go may be a Parrot mki9200 and an add on backup camera mirror. neither is nearly as nice as the factory stuff but gets the job done. I used a parrot for years on my 2009 Pontiac G8GT - before Bluetooth was standard stuff. it did a decent job. And I added a backup camera mirror to my daughters car. doesn't have the nice interactive guide lines but still works for what it needs to do.

https://www.parrot.com/ca/car-kits/parrot-mki9200?ref=#parrot-mki-9200

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/echoma...-1wvMsTmJKPE7EbsZmsaAm8DEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds