New to the forum, about to tackle cam replacement job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstoker25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone! I have a 2010 Ram 1500 and I believe I have a damaged cam due to lifter failure. I have been hearing the tick for some time now and recently have lost power and hear a very deep throaty sounds when trying to give too push heavily on the gas pedal. I'm getting a p0016 & p0014 & p0303 cylinder misfire code. I replaced the cylinder 3 spark plugs and the cam position sensor to no avail. I'm about to tackle tearing everything apart for the first time, but want to order all the parts to replace with a stage 1 cam while I have everything apart. Do you guys recommend any specific kits? Also, a list of definite parts to replace would be helpful. I have been doing research and watching vids on the process and think it's something I can do myself. I Have been looking at this AMS kit -

as well as

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-8186-tsp-mds-delete-kit-09-18-57-64-hemi.aspx

Neither kits appear to have everything necessary so I will end up having to piece together all the additional parts necessary.

Any advice will be appreciated, TIA

-Bryan

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Welcome to RamForum, I moved this thread into the 4th Gen section.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get your parts from your tuner, they offer complete packages. https://frptuning.com/
What @DILLIGAF said, FRPtuning has complete kits. I ordered mine from them and am waiting for my schedule to free up enough to tear into it. Came with everything you'll need minus fluids. All gaskets, PAC valve springs, TSP cam of your choosing, Hellcat lifters, pushrods, phaser limiter, MDS delete etc. While you're in it that far a set of headers wouldn't be a bad idea to prevent future manifold leaks from broken studs. Shorty or long tubes are available depending on what you want for your application. Then you'll have to let your tuner know all the mods done so they can get it tuned accordingly.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like BadHemi's idea of taking it to the local Speed Shop.

Experienced Professional VS first time amateur..... I'm putting my money on the Pro every time. I'll work a little extra overtime at my job if money is an issue.

Sometimes, the cheapest thing you can do is spend a little money.

Crooks1130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are just moderate at mechanic abilities, you can do this job with no issues. I had never been inside an engine before and tackled it. I got with a tuner (I used Demon Motorsports) who sold me a kit and helped me along the way with everything I needed. I followed the write up in the link posted above for the cam install and did it in 5 days, just working on it after work for a few hours each day.

Save yourself the trouble and buy the Hemi specific valve spring compressor, order a set of valve seals to change out while you are in there, and get a few different sized torque wrenches. The only “special” tool they say you need is to pull the harmonic balancer pulley, but any gear puller will get it off.

Also just a heads up, if you still have a clutch fan, it is reverse threads to take it off!!! I tightened the fire out of mine before I learned it was reverse threads lol.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Experienced Professional VS first time amateur.....

Its a HEMI not rocket science... lol. The only people that screw up Cam swaps are the ones that are to cheap to do it properly.

OP
OP
B

bstoker25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the input. I definitely think this is something I can do myself. I have a garage, tools, always worked on my own vehicles, and I have another car to drive while my Ram is down. Gonna order the TSP stage 1 cam package and MDS delete kit this week.

As far as the lifters go, the Mopar 5038784AD are the Hellcat lifters, and the ones I want, correct?

Also, I'm assuming I need to buy something like a Diablosport i3 and get a custom tune from someone in order for the truck to even run once complete. Is there anyone on here that does custom tuning? Would I still need to take it in to a local tuner for additional tuning?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963