New to the site... New to RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ekgguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I purchased my 2015 RAM 2500 4x4 Tradesman with a long bed and the 6.4 Hemi in January 2018 with 87,000 miles on it. I have been a die hard bowtie fan since I started driving 30+ years ago. This is my first non-bowtie vehicle ever, and I love it. I couldnt have asked for a better truck. I bought it to tow my 5th wheel RV with and it tows it like it isnt even there.

I do have a couple of questions though. I have looked through the forum somewhat, but have not been able to definitively find what i am looking for.

Here goes.

Does anyone make a programmer for this vehicle? I would like to get a little more low end torque out of it when i am towing.

It seems that once the milage hit 90,000, the gas milage went to hell in a handbasket. I drive 47.6 miles back and forth to work, 5 days a week, in somewhat stop-and-go traffic. When i first bought the truck, i could do it on hald a tank of gas. Now it takes over 3/4 of a tank to do the same trip. The milage is stating that is is around 14-15, but it sure is using a lot more fuel.

It seems like the transmission is always shifting, even at low speeds. It will drop into ECO mode (really dont like that) at around 30mph and then it takes forever to get back up to speed. I have to kick it down a gear with the pedal.

I have seen folks talking about Pedal Commander. Will that help? I have not done any mods with the exception of a brush guard, running boards and the 5th wheel plate.

Sorry for such a long first post, i figured I would get it all out at once and see where the debris falls.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome from Central Texas and good luck with your ride...

There are tuners out there, search posts and threads. Diablo makes a tuner, and "Pedal Commander" changes input from gas pedal to ECU.

For the ECO< when U put in gear, hit gear selector and put it manually into highest gear, not sure if U have a 6 or 8 speed, and that will turn off MDS. U have to do this every time that U start vehicle and/or put into park vs drive gear.

If towing and pulling a lot of weight, Tow Haul helps. Now I do not do a lot of mods, but there are lovers and haters of both. DO what works for U...

All above IMHO.....

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, OP, turkey got it right...do what works for you (and what you can afford)! Lots of no- and low-cost options here, so you can start small and go up from there!

Welcome from North Texas (we Lone Star State folk are friendly, no?)...oh, and post some pics, please!

And as for your rig's ailments, I'm sure some of our 2500 owners will step in with some pithy comments or suggestions; if not, head over to the Heavy Duty part of the forum and make a new post describing your Ram's ills.

TXCOMT

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
You’d be surprised how much better it locking a gear out. In town mines in 3rd. Sometimes 4th. On highways I keep her on 5th. I’m never in 6th. I have the 5.7 in mine.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I purchased my 2015 RAM 2500 4x4 Tradesman with a long bed and the 6.4 Hemi in January 2018 with 87,000 miles on it. I have been a die hard bowtie fan since I started driving 30+ years ago. This is my first non-bowtie vehicle ever, and I love it. I couldnt have asked for a better truck. I bought it to tow my 5th wheel RV with and it tows it like it isnt even there.

I do have a couple of questions though. I have looked through the forum somewhat, but have not been able to definitively find what i am looking for.

Here goes.

Does anyone make a programmer for this vehicle? I would like to get a little more low end torque out of it when i am towing.

It seems that once the milage hit 90,000, the gas milage went to hell in a handbasket. I drive 47.6 miles back and forth to work, 5 days a week, in somewhat stop-and-go traffic. When i first bought the truck, i could do it on hald a tank of gas. Now it takes over 3/4 of a tank to do the same trip. The milage is stating that is is around 14-15, but it sure is using a lot more fuel.

It seems like the transmission is always shifting, even at low speeds. It will drop into ECO mode (really dont like that) at around 30mph and then it takes forever to get back up to speed. I have to kick it down a gear with the pedal.

I have seen folks talking about Pedal Commander. Will that help? I have not done any mods with the exception of a brush guard, running boards and the 5th wheel plate.

Sorry for such a long first post, i figured I would get it all out at once and see where the debris falls.
If your at 90k it's time for new spark plugs, that could be the reason for bad gas mileage. I don't like the MDS either so I use manual mode and lock out 6th gear every time I get in the truck. Diablo tuners are good but you might need to swap out your onboard computer.
Good luck and where glad to have you here.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome

OP
OP
E

Ekgguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I believe i have a 6-speed. To lock out 6th, i just set the selector to 5 and it wont go any higher?

I will def look into the spark plug thing.

Thanks for the replies and WELCOMES!

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I agree with Hammerhead. Overtime the electrode on the spark plug will wear increasing the gap from the tip which causes a weaker spark. It will definitely decrease power and increase fuel consumption. It may also cause your catalytic converter to wear prematurely due to all the unburnt fuel which also increases fuel consumption due to increased back pressure.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Looking at the owners manual, it says to change all 16 plugs at 100k so you are not too far from that.

bigbuck92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Im not sure if this helps but i noticed when i ran mid grade fuel 91+ in my 5.7 hemi it made a big difference when going from 4 cyl to 8cylinders when i gave it a little throttle. When i ran 89 or less it would sometimes hesitate for a second when reactivating all cylinders.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Welcome. As said, spark plugs for starters, do you have any codes presently? Does it run good besides for the fuel mileage?

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Welcome to the board, like others said it's time for new plugs, air filter and fuel filter if there is one that can be change out. When towing the PC dose work well, when I tow I turn it on performance +3 and I can keep up with traffic coming off a light and pass as needed. Also make sure you push the tow button, it locks out 6th gear, turns off the fuel management system and it also holds your gears longer. I also run 87 grade. When towing my TH I am getting about 7 MPG but I am driving 70 MPH my next trip I am going to drop down to 60 MPH and hope to see better MPG. I have a PW and and a 30' camper weight is around 7800 lbs.