New to you with a few issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Time2RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, just joined. After 3 year search, I located the truck I wanted... A 5.7, 2015 off-white, longhorn, 6.6' bed with tan/brown interior with 30k miles. I found this truck in Idaho and drove from Utah to get it. Didn't know at the time I bought it, but it was a Canadian truck. I learned soon afterward one disadvantage, US dealers will not warranty this truck even with low miles being mfg in Canada :( So here I am with a couple of questions and one comment that I hope will find answers to.

First my comment: I was very surprised to find a WRONG GUAGE installed in the instrument cluster, obviously from the factory. Instead of an amp gauge showing the charge of the battery, I have in its place a second water temp gauge. Has anyone experienced this? My understanding is the whole cluster needs to be replaced, approx 600 for the cluster and another 3-400 in labor.

1st Q. The driver's door lock recently stopped working both by FOB and by the door panel. Is this an easy fix? What is entailed to make the repair?

2ns Q. I've had the truck for almost one year now. An oil change is coming soon. I am assuming one resets the mileage on the instrument cluster to reflect a new oil life. However, if you are using an oil that touts a longer interval change than what the computer default is set to, can this be changed to reflect the additional mileage before the next oil change?

Well, that's about it for the moment. I appreciate your time in reading my issues and more if you are able to reply. In spite of the issues, including a leaking left rear airbag, I LOVE MY RAM and how it rides.... However, I was not too crazy about the dealer I bought it from though, "Goodie Ford" in Burley ID. who neglected to tell me about the air leak which becomes noticeable after a week of sitting.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which cluster is in your truck? Can you share a picture? Also the oil life meter is not really programmable as it’s not based solely on mileage. It uses an algorithm based on engine load and hours and temp and other variables but generally mine makes it anywhere to 8-10,000 miles but I change it once a year which for me is roughly 5000 miles a year anyways. Most I would go is around 7500 miles on even the best oil just to keep it clean and fresh.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
As the old Fran commercial said pay me now or pay me later change that oil

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
FYI I'm moving this thread into the 4th Gen section.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The US/Canada warranty issue probably won't be a big concern on a 2015.

Have you looked into 'used' clusters? The more time that goes by, the more plentiful (and cheaper) used clusters will become.

If you're goiing to work on (and keep for a while) your pickup, you might want to explore getting AlfaOBD ....a software for $50 that is akin to what the dealer uses. Even though your truck sounds real nice, it's a 2015 and things will go haywire now and then. Probably save you a ton of money and frustration in the long run. Note (you also need an OBD dongle/cable ~$30-60)

[Note: Use the search tool and search the forum to learn more about AlfaOBD]

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am in Canada, with a 2014, Think I have a volt meter not a ammeter would have to go and look, too late tonight, but I know I don't have 2 temp gauges
But there is a transmission temp gauge, but that is one of the little side ones ,in the center of the cluster.
motor temp is large on top, Canadian gauge would be in Cel. not F. and speed in KM
Take a picture and post it.
We have good trucks up here, I have had many , never had anything go, not even manifold bolts. Tires and oil, and updates.
Never had a motor apart. But I don't put high miles on

Bet you may have block heater?, 110v cord up right hand corner of the grill, or Rad.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963