New Travel Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Towing the Denali was fine, it was getting that big thing in and out of gas stations and some campgrounds was challenging, sometimes, you had to really plan ahead.

Towing the Vintage is super easy. I even pulled between pumps in the middle with a work truck next to me. Backing it into spots, everything is just easier.

The reason we down sized is;

• Kids no longer camp with us so no need for the extra space
  • 1 axle
  • No slides
  • 1 piece front-roof-back
  • easier to wash
  • easier to wax
  • easier to maneuver
  • lower maintenance over all
  • little better on gas but not a huge factor

Just curious why you figure 1 axle is a benefit? I think most people think the other way. I specifically wanted dual axles, for a start you can carry more inside, and it also helps when dealing with blowouts. Short of tire cost/maintenance, I'm not aware of any downsides.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Towing the Denali was fine, it was getting that big thing in and out of gas stations and some campgrounds was challenging, sometimes, you had to really plan ahead.

Towing the Vintage is super easy. I even pulled between pumps in the middle with a work truck next to me. Backing it into spots, everything is just easier.

Oh yea I am aware of the added challenge with the larger trailers. Was just curious how the half ton handled that big bugger.

OP
OP
Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Just curious why you figure 1 axle is a benefit? I think most people think the other way. I specifically wanted dual axles, for a start you can carry more inside, and it also helps when dealing with blowouts. Short of tire cost/maintenance, I'm not aware of any downsides.

overall lower maintenance. Sure blowouts happen, but trailer tires are a lot better now and as long as you keep your speeds down and replace the tires before you absolutely have to, then you are way less likely for a blowout and the maintenance cost is way less.

As for "most people", I also see "most people" doing 80mph towing down the highway and when at campgrounds you see how bad those people's tires are.

As for weight, mine can hold 1300lbs of payload, that is a lot of crap, especially in a 22-23' trailer.

EDIT: I meant nothing mean by this post, I re-read it and it could of came off no-so-nice. For me the lower maintenance cost and how I take care of my TT and how I function when moving it out weighs some of the other items.

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
tandems always seem to ride better to me. no porpoising. they do resist turning when parking tho. also tandem would allow you to get off the highway safely if one tire blows. following my son on the interstate I saw this first hand as he hit something with a tire and had one blow on his 6000# trailer but was able to get off the freeway and into a large parking lot to change to the spare.