New truck 2006 dodge 2500 5.9 suggestions for mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeyserSoze

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge 2500
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I put this in general discussion but dropped it here because it is a Diesel and it makes more sense.

Ok, I just picked this thing up and it is real nice. Purchased from a friend who kept it in the shop never really driving it much. Well its already has a Banks exhaust already.

I bowhunt all over the place and this thing will be pulling a new to me 10,000 lb bumper pull tow hauler soon.

I am looking at the Road Rhino Bumpers front and rear weld yourself as my friend owns a nice welding shop and he owes me some favors. 9500 lbs warn going in it.

Question are as follows seeing as I will be towing should I get a tuner and which one. The truck is an automatic and I am huge on watching tranny temps so do I just get a A pillar mount and drop in a few guages or do I need to get a tuner that will allow me to monitor them.
Second I live and move around in town a lot so thinking of a back up camera or sensors my other truck has sensors and I like them better than the wifes camera in her H2. The camera does make it easy to hook up a trailer though so I know that some tuners allow camera access so combining them would seem to save me some money as a camera mounted with screen is already 350 but the camera itself is only 75.

So open to suggestions on this thing. It already has a nice leveling kit.

Air intake is screwed up on it. The thing has a Spectre Air kit but no air box its just laying where old intake box was. So tons of hot air are being pumped into the filter.
So air in take suggestions would be nice. Do I find the stock box and put it back or spend some money on a Cold Air Intake kit?
Airbags in rear to help with trailer?
Tuner?
If a tuner do I get one with camera option or try to find a sensor add on mod?
How about 2nd oil filter kit that remotes it and scrubs oil better?

Any help would be appreciated. I have three weeks until the wife gets back and if its already ordered then I am good. Otherwise she will spend my truck money on girl stuff. Like a new bed or something jesus.

photo1_zps2b7a30d8.jpg

OP
OP
K

KeyserSoze

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge 2500
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Here is a pick of the butchered Air Intake...

photo2_zpsfed0cee7.jpg

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nice truck. I would get an H&S mini maxx and get a used OE airbox, it flows more than enough air.
The Mini will have digital gauges to monitor trans temp, boost, rail pressure, coolant etc.
I've heard nothing but good things about adding a remote filter to aid in oil filtration.
I don't know much about the bumpers so I can't offer much there....
check out here 2006-2007 5.9L Dodge Cummins Mini Maxx Street | Diesel Performance Tuners
for more info on the tuner..
Welcome to the site. I am sure others will chime in soon to offer more advice.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I see you're from WA as well. I'm not too far away, just a short ferry ride across the pond.

ASchuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 1995
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Good luck with your 06! mines the same year same body style, different color. the 06's are definitely my favorite

RamCrazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l cummins
Forget the h&s cut your losses and get efi live and an edge insight CTS for gauges. You'll be much happier with the performance. And get an s&b intake and ditch the spectre. I prefer dry flow filters.

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
efi live is good if you never add any other performance mods. Id go with s&b intake with dry filter and pre filter and air grabber scoop. h&s mini maxx(has gauge mon) and a egt gauge. I did the rr bumpers on my 06 and love them. wiy is soooo the way to go.

Dont get an efan....just saying.

Id also suggest and airdog II fuel pump kit for easy install and added insurance. Another little thing that could be added but is not really needed but adds a little bling to under the hood is a nice intake horn.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Ill vote for the mini maxx too, efi is certainly the best tuning but the tune on the fly as well, gauge monitor and really good canned tuned
I think the edge cts monitor is one of the only monitors that supports a back up camera

adrian_cast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I would recommend a Scanguage 2. Shows temps, reads codes and lots of other things. I have mine set on battery voltage, fuel pressure, intake air temp and water/coolant temp.

1463CF6D-F537-429A-94BC-74448984378B.jpeg