New truck in need of a brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike_Rut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Just purchased a 21 bighorn night edition but it did not have the factory brake controller on it. Asked about getting it installed and they said they were back ordered until July.

Any ideas where I might can find one online? How do I know which model to get? I'm ok with installing it and letting the dealership do the programming.

Thanks,
Rut

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
RAM is selling both the new 5th Gen and the previous 4th Gen, now labeled “Classic.”

OP
OP
M

Mike_Rut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Ok. I found the mopar kit on ebay for 150. Just ordered the ODB Link MX+ and a KAOdTech security bypass cable. I saw somone on the internet using the alfaodb saying you might need a pin from the dealer. Is that needed for the brake controller? Will the dealer give that info out?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It is the 5th gen I assume. How do I tell that?

My VIN is 1C6SRFBTXMN699078

If your rims have 5 lugs it's a Gen4 (DS body)
If your truck has 6 lugs it's a Gen5 (DT body)

per your vin it's a Gen5

OP
OP
M

Mike_Rut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I finally got it installed but when I try pulling the camper and setting the controller, I have it on 10 and it still isn't stopping the trailer when you squeeze the paddles. When I apply truck brakes they don't sound like they are coming on at all. Tried it on light electric and heavy electric without much difference.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@Mike_Rut try pulling the trailer emergency brake cable and then try driving the truck, the trailer brakes should fight you considerably and/or lock up the wheels. Your trailer brakes could be out of adjustment, not working, or the drum/rotor surface rusted up. Check the fuse for the brakes themselves, there should be a total of 7 fuses for the trailer brakes and lights.
Keep in mind the truck brake controller uses vehicle speed in part to determine how much brake to apply. You also shouldn't hear your trailer brakes, that's usually an indication something isn't right.

OP
OP
M

Mike_Rut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
So the trailer brakes worked fine with our old truck (and 3rd party brake controller) within the last 2 weeks. What is the proper way to set the level for the factory brake controller? I thought you were supposed to set them just below where they lock up but these never get close to locking up.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the trailer is under 10K you use the light trailer brake setting and you need to be moving about 25 mph when testing the gain adjustment with the manual lever. The tires should be on the verge of locking up.
A lot of people have their 3rd party trailer brakes controller set way to aggressive, you shouldn't feel the trailer push or pull back on the truck. Once the wheels lock up the trailer will go where it wants to... taking you with it.
You might need to adjust the trailer brakes themselves.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have mine set on 5 and they work fine. as I head out after hook-up I always squeeze the slider together to make sure they are grabbing. my trailer is 28' just under 6000#. it has 4 wheel trailer brakes. I have only locked up all 8 wheels once when some idiot swerved into the space I left between me and long line of traffic doing a panic stop on the freeway. stopped straight, no pulling. I was kinda impressed as I thought we were about to eat a texter in a small KIA.

OP
OP
M

Mike_Rut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
So we got the new camper this weekend. About 5500 lbs, 4 wheels. I honestly can't tell if the brakes are working or not. I can squeeze the paddles and feel them grab but at no settings can I lock them up. So I have it on light electric and switching power levels between 5 and 8, can't feel any difference. Doesn't feel like the camper is pushing when I apply brakes but never feels like it is pulling back when applied either.