New Truck Ordering and Trade In

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott 3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How did the trade in process work for you when you ordered your truck? Did you have to put down a deposit?

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
When I ordered my '17, I put $100 down. The trade-in was typical, dealer appraised it, gave me a number, we negotiated and settled on a trade-in value. When the new truck was delivered I brought the trade-in (gen3 Ram) and left with the new vehicle. I've bought multiple vehicles from this dealer over the years so there may have been less concern on their part about a big deposit. Whatcha thinking about getting?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
First WELCOME to the group. When I got mine I out a nice chunk down, Kept my car. Some will Trade a car and add cash to lower the payments.
All depends on your budget! I set mine up to fit me ! :)
As you know The more down the lower the payments ! :)
Use Kelly Blue Book and NADA and watch out for dealer add one's
So for me all went as planned
Also if you finance through the dealer have them check several banks and if you have a Credit Union they have real good rates most of the time

MegaRam18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I got a written offer from Carmax for my trade in. I was quite pleased with their offer, and used that to negotiate the trade with the Dealer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My dealer worked the whole deal, including trade in before ordering. My deal was “No Obligation” as I still wanted to look at other dealerships but they ordered with no deposit anyways. I ended up cancelling the order about a week later as I found the truck I wanted about an hour away on my own. The cancelling was just a phone call, no problems.

o2cmefly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I ordered my RAM with a $500 deposit on 12/19/18. I then listed my 2014 Tundra on Craigslist on 12/29/18. It sold in 3 days. The buyer picked it up on 01/04/19, and I’ve been truckless since then. I’m renting cars when needed for work until my RAM gets here. Fortunately, it’s been built and is in transit now. I expect it next week.

Sell your old truck outright if you can, you’ll get more $$$ to offset the cost of the new RAM. Carmax is a good place to get a solid offer, and get an idea of what you’d get on trade-in. If that number isn’t enough, consider selling it yourself.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered my RAM with a $500 deposit on 12/19/18. I then listed my 2014 Tundra on Craigslist on 12/29/18. It sold in 3 days. The buyer picked it up on 01/04/19, and I’ve been truckless since then. I’m renting cars when needed for work until my RAM gets here. Fortunately, it’s been built and is in transit now. I expect it next week.

Sell your old truck outright if you can, you’ll get more $$$ to offset the cost of the new RAM. Carmax is a good place to get a solid offer, and get an idea of what you’d get on trade-in. If that number isn’t enough, consider selling it yourself.

Might also want to factor in the sales tax credit if you trade in vs sell privately. In my state with 8% sales tax, in these types of situations (where the trade in is worth a good chunk of money) it often times saves more money to trade it in even for a little less money, vs paying 8% sales tax for the whole price of the new truck. For example, selling privately and paying 8% on the sales price of the truck (lets just say 50k)...would be around $4,000 in taxes. Or lets say your trade in was worth 30k, then you'd only be paying 8% sales tax on the $20,000 difference, or $1,600 in taxes.

I know the sales tax credit doesn't apply in every state but if it applies in yours, its something you have to at least crunch the numbers on.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Might also want to factor in the sales tax credit if you trade in vs sell privately. In my state with 8% sales tax, in these types of situations (where the trade in is worth a good chunk of money) it often times saves more money to trade it in even for a little less money, vs paying 8% sales tax for the whole price of the new truck. For example, selling privately and paying 8% on the sales price of the truck (lets just say 50k)...would be around $4,000 in taxes. Or lets say your trade in was worth 30k, then you'd only be paying 8% sales tax on the $20,000 difference, or $1,600 in taxes.

I know the sales tax credit doesn't apply in every state but if it applies in yours, its something you have to at least crunch the numbers on.
Same scenario here. By trading in I saved another $500 in sales tax. That means my trade was probably short $500-1000 from what I could have got selling on my own. I've reached a point in life that the time I would have spent selling it is worth more than the $500-1k I might have made, not to mention the cost of insuring and maintaining while selling. Depends on what you have. In my case it was a 15 year old truck. It just depends on the situation.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same scenario here. By trading in I saved another $500 in sales tax. That means my trade was probably short $500-1000 from what I could have got selling on my own. I've reached a point in life that the time I would have spent selling it is worth more than the $500-1k I might have made, not to mention the cost of insuring and maintaining while selling. Depends on what you have. In my case it was a 15 year old truck. It just depends on the situation.

Very true, I'd also add that if the difference was close at all I'd still prefer to trade. That way you have your current vehicle up to the day you get your new one, instead of potentially being without a daily driver til your truck gets delivered. However, like you mentioned it all depends on the specific scenario. If the trade in wasn't worth hardly anything anyways, or your state didn't have the sales tax credit, or you had an extra vehicle to drive in the meantime, then I would certainly pursue selling privately.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very true, I'd also add that if the difference was close at all I'd still prefer to trade. That way you have your current vehicle up to the day you get your new one, instead of potentially being without a daily driver til your truck gets delivered. However, like you mentioned it all depends on the specific scenario. If the trade in wasn't worth hardly anything anyways, or your state didn't have the sales tax credit, or you had an extra vehicle to drive in the meantime, then I would certainly pursue selling privately.
The last two vehicles I bought new I bought outright, with no trade whatsoever. But those were commuter cars. My last four new trucks I bought, I traded in a vehicle. Three of them, I was trading in some total piece of crap, a vehicle I was thankful just to be rid of. Last one (before the Ram) I traded in a Chevy Venture minivan, probably the worst vehicle I've ever owned, on the Titan in 2004.

I could have sold my Titan on my own, I just didn't want to be bothered. It still ran good - I drove it to Florida for a week and got back a couple of days before I traded it - but it had other issues that would have been a pain in the ass to deal with or explain to a private customer. That's really the best thing about trading - not having to deal with fixing or explaining the issues with the vehicle.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The last two vehicles I bought new I bought outright, with no trade whatsoever. But those were commuter cars. My last four new trucks I bought, I traded in a vehicle. Three of them, I was trading in some total piece of crap, a vehicle I was thankful just to be rid of. Last one (before the Ram) I traded in a Chevy Venture minivan, probably the worst vehicle I've ever owned, on the Titan in 2004.

I could have sold my Titan on my own, I just didn't want to be bothered. It still ran good - I drove it to Florida for a week and got back a couple of days before I traded it - but it had other issues that would have been a pain in the ass to deal with or explain to a private customer. That's really the best thing about trading - not having to deal with fixing or explaining the issues with the vehicle.

I've been there a few times, it is nice to be able to dump off a clunker on a dealer. Actually the truck I traded in for my first ram would be in that category.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We have 13% sales tax (HST) in this province. I got $41000.00 plus 13% for my last trade. As mentioned above, that would be a large chunk of cash for me to pay if I sold my truck privately.

Aggiect01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
My order & trade in went better than I expected. I never wanted to order a truck but I couldn't find the longer bed with a bench seat at dealerships anywhere near me. The truck took 1.5 months to be delivered and I ordered it with zero obligation on my part. I didn't even need to sign anything, just went to the dealer, picked my options, and went home. I went to pick up my truck on Wednesday and they lowered my trade value by $4,000 from the original offer made a few months earlier. I left without buying the truck but was able to get them to increase the trade value by $2500 and purchased my truck the following day.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My order & trade in went better than I expected. I never wanted to order a truck but I couldn't find the longer bed with a bench seat at dealerships anywhere near me. The truck took 1.5 months to be delivered and I ordered it with zero obligation on my part. I didn't even need to sign anything, just went to the dealer, picked my options, and went home. I went to pick up my truck on Wednesday and they lowered my trade value by $4,000 from the original offer made a few months earlier. I left without buying the truck but was able to get them to increase the trade value by $2500 and purchased my truck the following day.

Glad you got your deal done. Not sure how it works in Texas but when I ordered we negotiated a trade price before the order. When my ordered truck arrived I went for more money because of the issues I was having. Dealer worked with me and gave me $1800.00 more for my trade and threw in free rust proofing and Mopar mud flaps. They also filled my 125 litre gas tank instead of the usual $50.00. I'm very happy with the deal and the new 2019.

19Jake

♕ REBEL LIFE ♕
Reaction score
Ram Year
'19 Rebel 12 HK
Engine
'17 Raptor 801 SCab to a REBEL 12
$7,500
refund/NO admin fee/NO tax
IMG_2591.JPG

Last edited:

Lando

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered mine with no down payment and the trade was figured in. I also shopped around during this time but never could find the exact truck I wanted and no one even came close to the price I received.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have never been able to get a better deal ordering new. there are usually no mfr incentives and few dealer incentives like they have the last week of the month. I live in a large metro area with many dealers so I do a search for a vehicle with the options I want and when I find one I start negotiating with that dealer. carmax is good for getting a solid trade value for your trade and once I used the guy on the radio every saturday that buys cars. sent him an email with a few pics and got a pretty good price to take with me to the dealer.

Aggiect01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
The dealership tried telling me that my trade dropped in value by $5,000 in 5 months and 3,000 miles. They originally agreed to $41,000 and changed to $36k when the 2019 arrived. They compared my megacab to crew cans on the lot and said they were basically the same thing. I checked their website last night and saw my truck lifted for $43,991 and the only difference is a new set of rubber. Amazing how it suddenly increased in value by almost $8k in one week. I understand that's the game they play and they need to make a profit but it still amused me

mortarman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be looking seriously in a few months. I'll have like 8 more payments left on my current lease. I'm hoping I can end the lease early and have a decent amount to put down on a new Big Horn but not sure how that all works as this is my first lease. I plan on financing the Ram.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963