New, undelivered 2500 has keys stolen on train

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1STRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey guys/gals. I have a 2022 2500 Tradesman waiting to be offloaded from the train 2 hours away. Got call today from dealer telling me the keys were "stolen" and truck can't be offloaded. He says he has never encountered this before and is unsure what happens next. Really? Has anyone had this happen? How hard is it to get replacement fobs in timely manner? I understand the fobs have to be programmed to the truck. Getting real frustrated. Ordered 11/27/2021, after cancelling a Silverado order that was never accepted all the way back to end of August! I was hoping to get the new truck before finance rates go up and well before camping season starts (trip in April planned) in order to make sure hitch set up is all good. Any ideas?

OP
OP
1STRAM2500

1STRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks, NJMOPAR. I will inquire about logistics of getting the truck reprogrammed with new keys and the manual. Apparently, they can't move the truck until it gets new keys. Don't know who is responsible for that. Can't imagine my dealer, who has been invoiced for the vehicle, will not get things moving along so he can get paid. I am concerned about security issues now.

mcarey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sorry that sucks. It isn't totally uncommon though. I've seen it mentioned a handful of times on HDRams.com

riverfox23043

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
My truck is missing after the "lost fobs" message. RAM division documentation states the truck has been delivered to the dealer 2/3/2022. Dealer has not notified me of the trucks arrival..

Shout out to NJMOPAR for his information. I have the same concerns.

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
I had a guy come to my house to replace a lost fob it took him 5 min to program a new fob and cut a key. Couldnt the dealership get a guy to do this at the train?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
To me it sounds like something is wrong

It takes less that 30 Minutes to make & program a fob, once the programmer is on site

No one can steal a Ram off of a Railway Freight car
It is not physically possible
so why would they cut the Seal on the freight car, open the doors while standing on the fastening device, slide along the freight car walls & squeeze into the Ram.

I guess it could happen if the freight car was not connected up to the Locomotive & the freight car was in position at the ramps, but what about all the cameras & laborers

They don't put the ramps into position unless the crew is there to load or off load vehicles

1645165261207.png

1645165415982.png

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
how they unload the freight cars of Fords

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I wouldn't take that truck unless they programmed it with new keys with a different code/frequency, including changing manual locks that use the emergency key (if so equipped)
Sounds a little overreacting. FOB frequencies can't be changed. Physical keys, well, they make 100's of thousands of trucks, how many different key cuts do you think there are? When a new FOB is learned, all the old FOBs are forgotten. Last but least, if the FOBs were really stolen, how would the thief know where the retail customer lives?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
A little different here but back in the late 80's an old friend said his cousins used to steal stereos out of new cars on trains all the time. Train would stop and as long as they are the railcars they were after were far enough back that nobody saw them

OP
OP
1STRAM2500

1STRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks GTYankee. You seem much more in the know than my dealer. The dealer has yet to respond to me since advising me of the situation, never returned call yesterday. Try again today. Just doesn't make sense.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The only thing that would be on the Ram on a train would be a bar code
It might have the VIN, where it was loaded on the freight car & where it is to be unloaded

The owners manual packet would have more information on that barcode

Do you know who is in charge of security at those yards where they unload the vehicles ?

It is the same company that ran security at the post office
PINKERTON Agency, under a different name

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
To change FOBs to a different frequency or code

I believe that they would need to change the RF Hub behind the rear seat & the ignition switch
Locksmiths machine would have to used to program the FOB to those items

OP
OP
1STRAM2500

1STRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Feel like I'm getting a run-around. Dealer just told me essentially he doesn't know much and that the last time this happened it took close to 2 months to resolve. Even told my to take my truck off the private sale market for now, after publishing truck on social media last night. Hard to believe. Am starting to consider alternatives to this truck...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Not Scheduled yet
BB review by fleet department
BD special equipment processing
BE edit error
BG passed edit n/a for schedule
BGL edit ok parts unavailable
BX passed edit available for schedule

Scheduled:
C sub firm
D firm schedule - dealer has allocation and all parts available
D1 gateline schedule - scheduled to be built
Assembly Line:
E frame
F paint
G trim

Assembly Completed:
I built not ok'd
J built ok'd
JB shipped to body vendor
JE emission check
JS shipped to storage
KZ released by plant , invoiced
Shipping Status:
KZL released - not shipped
KZM first rail departure
KZN first rail arrival
KZO delayed/recieved
KZOA plant holds
KZOB zone/distribution holds
KZOC carrier delays
KZOD carrier holds
KZOE mis-shipped vehicle
KZOF show/test vehicle
KZOG damaged vehicle
KZOH all other reasons
KZT second rail departure
KZU second rail arrival
KZX delivered to dealer
KZY1 - major damage - must not be sold as new
KZY2 - major damage - vehicle sold at auction
ZA canceled

more information

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Your dealership should have mentioned options

If they told you that it may be as long as 2 months before Headquarters in Auburn Hills Michigan comes to a final decision

Your ordered HD Ram had to be parked at the parking area after being unloaded from the Freight Car at
999 Wagner Road Petersburg, VA 23805 804-732-5119

If the crime had not been committed
The next step in the process would be to set up the scheduling to have a car hauler haul the Ram to the dealership.

You have not signed the paperwork to take possession of the Ram, so in reality, it is not yet your Ram, you don't need to accept it

The question you need to think about is

Do you want to wait how ever long to get that truck ?
Or do you want to see what dealerships around you have in Transit from the factory currently ?
OR
Do you want to reorder another Ram with your chosen options ?

subic97

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
Your truck was probably the one border patrol caught the Mexicans hiding in trying to sneak across the border not long ago.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
How would you like to be the trucks in front of it that can't be removed also. Not a 1 truck problem. They will call a dealer and get them out there to open it. Or.... They can call pop a lock. I know it is frustrating but hang in there and it will be ok. I agree, they need to reprogram it when it gets to the dealership. I guarantee you the train knows what to do. If you refuse the truck, the dealer has 10 people who will take it.

phoenixop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L Diesel
So, if they can't move it, how the hell did they get it off the train???