New, undelivered 2500 has keys stolen on train

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigWhiteSnake

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine
Sounds a little overreacting. FOB frequencies can't be changed. Physical keys, well, they make 100's of thousands of trucks, how many different key cuts do you think there are? When a new FOB is learned, all the old FOBs are forgotten. Last but least, if the FOBs were really stolen, how would the thief know where the retail customer lives?

Well, the same way people are stealing any other vehicle. They put an Apple Tag on the vehicle and then track it. Nice easy theft when everyone is asleep.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
First of all pretty much any tow truck driver can put it in neutral. If you do not know where the overide for your transmission. You need to learn. It does come in handy just in case you need to move it because you lost the fob. Every single ram and Chrysler product has that manual release.
Of course they tell you to use the key in the fob. But you can use a screw driver as well to unlock the transmission. I'll put the video of how to do it on a 1500. But they all are pretty much the same. This is how they can take the truck of the rail car easily after poping the lock on the door.

malonerory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It honestly sounds like a dealer/manufacture problem to me. You have not taken possession of the vehicle therefore their problem. I understand them informing you but his answer should have been "delivery will be a bit delayed as we have to program some new keys." Remember, they (dealers) have the ability to program new key fobs for the vehicle. They just probably have to get creative with their tech equipment. I just had a local dealer program two Amazon purchased keys fobs for me, it took 20 minutes.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The dealership actually has no say in what happens now

It is in the hands of the Railroad & Ram headquarters in Auburn Hills Michigan

Shaggy

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ram Year
--
Engine
--
Thanks, NJMOPAR. I will inquire about logistics of getting the truck reprogrammed with new keys and the manual. Apparently, they can't move the truck until it gets new keys. Don't know who is responsible for that. Can't imagine my dealer, who has been invoiced for the vehicle, will not get things moving along so he can get paid. I am concerned about security issues now.

They can always reprogram and rekey trucks. They just need to do it without giving you problems on doing it.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The dealer probably has a higher offer to take that truck. These guys are snakes and will do anything to take advantage of someone's desperation

OP
OP
1STRAM2500

1STRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The dealer probably has a higher offer to take that truck. These guys are snakes and will do anything to take advantage of someone's desperation
I certainly hope that is not the case. This truck was ordered with a Virginia Buyers Order with a down payment. Incidentally, the same truck on the RAM Build site is now $2600 higher than the original order date of Nov 27, 2021. Keeps going up, up up! I am supposed to be price protected. We will see. Stellantis US Customer Care has at least acknowledged my problem with a relatively generic-sounding email. I was promised this past Friday that they would contact me today and they did. Would have preferred to speak with a human. They promised to keep me updated, we will see...

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
You would think the dealership would lean forward and get the sale done.

SteveBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe it's all a line of BS and they just sold the truck for a higher price to someone else. I'd hate to think that was it, but you never know these days.

7091ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
70 and 91 and 99
Engine
383 and Cummins and 360
Hey guys/gals. I have a 2022 2500 Tradesman waiting to be offloaded from the train 2 hours away. Got call today from dealer telling me the keys were "stolen" and truck can't be offloaded. He says he has never encountered this before and is unsure what happens next. Really? Has anyone had this happen? How hard is it to get replacement fobs in timely manner? I understand the fobs have to be programmed to the truck. Getting real frustrated. Ordered 11/27/2021, after cancelling a Silverado order that was never accepted all the way back to end of August! I was hoping to get the new truck before finance rates go up and well before camping season starts (trip in April planned) in order to make sure hitch set up is all good. Any ideas?
I haul cars and this much I can tell you, they are not going to leave your truck in the way nor will they push it off the rail car. Not to mention it comes with 2 fobs. The biggest part but not aof them are in foreign trade zones so trespass and theft are considered federal crimes. I don't think any one would risk it to steal a fob from a vehicle. I would want to know the real story on what is going on.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I still say that when the crime took place, it had already been off loaded from the train & was in the Railroads storage lot, where the car haulers go to pick it up & haul it to the dealership.

These are images of a railroad Facility that freight trains off load vehicles at in Southern California.
the vehicles are parked there until the car hauler loads the vehicles up for delivery

h1645749443259.png

1645749327010.png

1645749377092.png

Brianmp01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
seems a bit silly that someone can have that easy access to both key fobs.

OP
OP
1STRAM2500

1STRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I haul cars and this much I can tell you, they are not going to leave your truck in the way nor will they push it off the rail car. Not to mention it comes with 2 fobs. The biggest part but not aof them are in foreign trade zones so trespass and theft are considered federal crimes. I don't think any one would risk it to steal a fob from a vehicle. I would want to know the real story on what is going on.
I would REALLY like to know the real story. Problem is, I can not get in touch with anyone who knows anything or even in a position to find out what is going on. I was ok waiting the 3 months the dealer estimated when I ordered; however, this new element of not being able to talk with anyone who seems to know what is going on is driving me nuts. This could go on indefinitely. My biggest concern is I keep waiting, no one else gets concerned about one lonely truck sitting amongst hundreds of others, and I have to start cancelling spring trips or push the safety envelope with my current truck. My dealer is really unconcerned, a bit too laid back it seems. RAM should have an advocate somewhere I could work with to start getting answers. The truck has been sitting on the lot for two weeks now and no one knows anything.

OP
OP
1STRAM2500

1STRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Did you try Ram Cares , a little ?
Thanks for the advice. From what I gathered, Ram Cares is for actual owners of vehicles that have been placed in service, I have not yet taken possession even though I have a purchase contract. Also, the Tradesman level is not listed among the trim lines covered in the plan. I will still try calling. Have a great day.

OP
OP
1STRAM2500

1STRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey guys/gals. I have a 2022 2500 Tradesman waiting to be offloaded from the train 2 hours away. Got call today from dealer telling me the keys were "stolen" and truck can't be offloaded. He says he has never encountered this before and is unsure what happens next. Really? Has anyone had this happen? How hard is it to get replacement fobs in timely manner? I understand the fobs have to be programmed to the truck. Getting real frustrated. Ordered 11/27/2021, after cancelling a Silverado order that was never accepted all the way back to end of August! I was hoping to get the new truck before finance rates go up and well before camping season starts (trip in April planned) in order to make sure hitch set up is all good. Any ideas?
Update as of today: 40 vehicles are still sitting in the train cars, awaiting keys. Some keys are being sent to the rail yard (why not all?), hope mine is among them. This Saturday, March 5th, marks 3 weeks.

Boxerguy2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Feel like I'm getting a run-around. Dealer just told me essentially he doesn't know much and that the last time this happened it took close to 2 months to resolve. Even told my to take my truck off the private sale market for now, after publishing truck on social media last night. Hard to believe. Am starting to consider alternatives to this truck...
Same here. My 22 3500 is one of the vehicles by the way the keys are on back order… it’s been 30 weeks since I’ve placed my order! It’s not the dealership’s fault. However I’m fed up with the lack of customer service from the ram brand. I located keys for my truck at two different dealerships. So they need to think outside the box at this point

OP
OP
1STRAM2500

1STRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sorry to hear you are among the "lost". My truck finally arrived at the dealership yesterday, hope to take delivery by weekend. What a trip! Ordered mine Nov 27th and thankfully had price protection, otherwise the same truck would now cost me $4650 more on a gas tradesman! Hopefully yours will see the light of day very soon! Best of luck.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to hear you are among the "lost". My truck finally arrived at the dealership yesterday, hope to take delivery by weekend. What a trip! Ordered mine Nov 27th and thankfully had price protection, otherwise the same truck would now cost me $4650 more on a gas tradesman! Hopefully yours will see the light of day very soon! Best of luck.
Make sure you clay bar it because after sitting for that long in a rail yard it will have a ton of impurities on the paint

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963