New (used) owner; some rookie questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all! Picked up my slightly-used '18 1500 quad cab a few months ago. Having difficulty with the following:

1. TOWING: my build sheet shows "DELETE CLASS IV RECEIVER HITCH" but I see someone installed a bolt-on receiver to the bumper. The receiver says to consult the owner's manual for towing capacities and info. The owner's manual says to consult ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide for towing capacities. That specific webpage doesn't exist anymore, but ramtrucks.com has a towing cheat sheet which just ends up saying "final towing capabilities will depend on your vehicle's configuration". Am I just going around in circles?

((edit: I did find the Trailer Life 2018 guide here: https://webcontent.goodsam.com/trailerlife.com/digital_editions/TrailerLifeTowGuide2018.pdf, and referencing my engine, trans and axle ratio came up with 8190 lbs towing. I just don't trust that number since the hitch I have is bolted to the bumper.))

2. CURB WEIGHT: Curb weight of the vehicle is part of the calculation for payload and towing capacity. Despite the power of the internet, I haven't been able to nail down my truck's curb weight. Do I just have to take it to a weight station or is there an easier way?

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Drivers door jam has a decal with ratings listed.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last edited:
OP
OP
Christopher 1977
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks all!

@Lsujker thanks so much! That pdf lead me down a rabbit hole! Ram bodybuilder is mentioned in the manual, but the link is defunct and has been replaced with this, where I found the US version of the info you posted along with a lot of other docs.

OP
OP
Christopher 1977
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have to admit it's pretty wild to me that a bolt-on hitch can't be trusted to tow even a tiny trailer that, you know, a Civic could tow. One would think that if our bumpers were so fragile, folks wouldn't install a bumper hitch for them?

I did try looking in the manual and online for the tow rating of the bumper but have come up empty handed (except some forum posts here that say our bumpers are rated to 5000#).

1685635081108.png

1685635071330.png

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well it all depends. Suggesting that a 4x8 trailer is to much, feels tongue and cheek. My first truck was a 1994 GMC Sierra with a bumper hitch. Towed a 14 foot trailer with dirt bikes and 4 wheelers countless times. Probably looking at 1 to 1.5 tons. No issue.

Also seen a bumper bend first up then down. That was loading a 55HP tracker on a 20' trailer with 6K axles. Don't do that.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Most of those bolt-on receivers are rated at 2500lb. Me personally, I wouldn't hang anything over 1k on it, simply because that's what most bumpers are rated for when you put a ball on them. Hitches like that are really designed for use with bicycle racks, not boats.

OP
OP
Christopher 1977
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Understood. My only need right now is to trailer my car, which is pretty light weight (2800lbs + 1300 lb trailer). I'm just going to take everyone's advise here and not take any chances with it until I get the Class IV.

Appreciate everyone's help.

Last edited:

DA67Goatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not advice, but I just ignore the numbers and tow what I need to tow. Actual experience trumps all the internet keyboard warriors

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all! Picked up my slightly-used '18 1500 quad cab a few months ago. Having difficulty with the following:

1. TOWING: my build sheet shows "DELETE CLASS IV RECEIVER HITCH" but I see someone installed a bolt-on receiver to the bumper. The receiver says to consult the owner's manual for towing capacities and info. The owner's manual says to consult ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide for towing capacities. That specific webpage doesn't exist anymore, but ramtrucks.com has a towing cheat sheet which just ends up saying "final towing capabilities will depend on your vehicle's configuration". Am I just going around in circles?

((edit: I did find the Trailer Life 2018 guide here: https://webcontent.goodsam.com/trailerlife.com/digital_editions/TrailerLifeTowGuide2018.pdf, and referencing my engine, trans and axle ratio came up with 8190 lbs towing. I just don't trust that number since the hitch I have is bolted to the bumper.))

2. CURB WEIGHT: Curb weight of the vehicle is part of the calculation for payload and towing capacity. Despite the power of the internet, I haven't been able to nail down my truck's curb weight. Do I just have to take it to a weight station or is there an easier way?
I would not pull with the bumper. Always use a receiver hitch

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You are good to pull with that , no problem. That is the factory hitch. It is identical to mine which came with the tow package.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have to admit it's pretty wild to me that a bolt-on hitch can't be trusted to tow even a tiny trailer that, you know, a Civic could tow. One would think that if our bumpers were so fragile, folks wouldn't install a bumper hitch for them?

I did try looking in the manual and online for the tow rating of the bumper but have come up empty handed (except some forum posts here that say our bumpers are rated to 5000#).

View attachment 522281

View attachment 522280
If that’s your truck you have the picture of, that’s the factory hitch, it’s not bolted to the bumper
Looks like D beat me to it