New Water Pump Not Cool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pastorjeep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys I just replaced the water pump on my 2011 1500 with 5.7 with a new premium Carquest pump. This truck has never run hot and even pulling a 8K load never got above normal. Since replacing the water pump it gets "warm" when idling. It will cool back down when traveling. Sometimes when idling it drops back to normal and then goes back up. It has new coolant and the dipstick says I am full. Ideas?

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Hey guys I just replaced the water pump on my 2011 1500 with 5.7 with a new premium Carquest pump. This truck has never run hot and even pulling a 8K load never got above normal. Since replacing the water pump it gets "warm" when idling. It will cool back down when traveling. Sometimes when idling it drops back to normal and then goes back up. It has new coolant and the dipstick says I am full. Ideas?

Check the coolant and thermostat.

OP
OP
P

pastorjeep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Coolant dipstick says good. I will replace the thermostat if it doesn't get resolved soon.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Might still have an air pocket in the system - you tube university has a few tutorials on how to bleed the air out of the system

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your coolant temps at the top radiator hose (supplied from the engine) and your lower radiator hose (after the radiator has cooled the antifreeze) the lower should be allot cooler, your radiator may be clogged, purchase a IR Temp gun or rent one to do this, you also may still have air in the system remove the radiator cap when running and fill as needed that mat help get the air out of the system.

Brent 1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey guys I just replaced the water pump on my 2011 1500 with 5.7 with a new premium Carquest pump. This truck has never run hot and even pulling a 8K load never got above normal. Since replacing the water pump it gets "warm" when idling. It will cool back down when traveling. Sometimes when idling it drops back to normal and then goes back up. It has new coolant, and the dipstick says I am full. Ideas?
What type of Impeller was on the pump was it teflon or cast

bargainnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
make sure it's burped, fan clutch cools at idle. Why did you change the water pump? IF overheated, test for emission in the radiator. could be the dreaded head gasket

Randy45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer told me they noticed I had a water pump leak, so they replaced it. Now climbing hills my truck over heats. I brought it back they replaced the cooling fan assembly, the radiator cap, the hoses, and the thermostat. It worked for several weeks, but now it’s over heating again when climbing hills. I’m guessing the new water pumps are poorly designed. Remember, it wasn’t a problem until they put in a new water pump.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What condition is your radiator in, look at post#6 and get back to us.