New wheels, lug nut torque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sirguynate503

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I picked up a set of wheels and winter tires for my Ram.

Anyway, the tire store told me to come back in at 50 miles to re-torque the wheels. I went over there today after about 80 miles and the place was slammed - everyone and there mom is getting tires on right now preparing for snow. There was a 10 vehicle line to simply air up the tires.

I said screw it and went to the trusty Harbor Freight, picked up their ICON 1/2inch drive torque wrench and decided to do it myself. I honestly thought it was just a cover your ass thing.

I set the torque wrench to 135, I read the instructions - as I learned to do when I got married so my wife cant give me **** later - but I digress; those lug nuts were no where near 135.... (at least I don't think - I never used a torque wrench before)

By the time I got to the last lug nut on the last wheel, it dawned on me to turn the torque wrench down to 100 - just to see what happened, sure enough I got movement out of a lug nut before the click, put it up to 135 - of course I got more movement before the click.

The torque specs on the shop receipt lists 130. I know the manual says 130 for cone shaped lugs.
Is it even possible for lug nuts to loosen to around 100 from 130 after 80 miles? I believe you are supposed to use the vehicle manufacture lug torque spec - even for after market wheels - or did I screw up here on this one? (they are spline type lugs) I tested the calibration on the torque wrench using a vice, measuring tape, and weight - it seems like its correct.

Any thoughts?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It is possible for them to loosen, which is why it's suggested to re-torque. Th8s is because the wheels may not seat properly initially. Tech may have used torque sticks instead of a wrench. Pretty common practice, but it leaves room for error and using the wrong stick and another reason they might not be tight enough.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Like said above it is possible for new wheels and lugs to loosen but it is also more possible for the shop to not to torque them properly.

Eclipse Aries

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
More importantly, that torque wrench is likey the best investment you've ever made. You will be checking tightness on every bolt you can get access to. You are now free to sleep soundly knowing you have taken responsibility for the safety of all things threaded.

Tl806

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
More importantly, that torque wrench is likey the best investment you've ever made. You will be checking tightness on every bolt you can get access to. You are now free to sleep soundly knowing you have taken responsibility for the safety of all things threaded.
This!

OP
OP
sirguynate503

sirguynate503

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I appreciate the input!

I'm off to start torquing everything with a thread down to spec! :)