New Windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If it worked before you had the windshield replaced

I would do as someone mentioned & check out the mirror housing, to make sure that the window installer did everything correctly

OP
OP
T

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've had 3 replacement windshields. The 1st was an aftermarket, 2nd and 3rd were genuine Mopar with the Ram logo at the lower passenger side. During the install of the 2nd, the installer (Safelite) realized they brought the incorrect model because my 2015 has the rain sensor and auto dimming feature. They had to reorder the windshield to ensure it was compatible with my features. Lets just say, perhaps YOUR windshield was replaced with the incorrect model # that doesn't support your trucks features. And yes, I have a $0 deductible for comprehensive insurance. Dang road rocks always hit my windshield!
The rain sensing part works like it should , as said it just has that one cycle of the wipers when I start the truck . I wouldn’t think it would work at all if it was the wrong windshield.

OP
OP
T

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 14 sport, same set up, still the factory glass, but getting chipped up.
You could just run the headlights on manual, but what fun is that?
It should not have anything to do with the windshield??,but I don't really know.
sounds like it does from reading some of the posts.
I would kind of think it is a computer problem? my lights and wipers go mad when I wash the truck. Always done that, truck turned off, but it also has auto door sensors, so that could be setting it off.
Sounds like a trip to the dealer, If you don't trust your dealer, why the hell would you buy a truck from them, I have never understood that mind set , reading these posts

I’m not crazy about the dealer I bought my truck from, had no idea about their service having never dealt with them before buying the truck . Having said that , have had several recalls done by them without issue . My issues if you will is dealing with the service people . The first three years that I owned the truck they went thru three different service managers , and getting appointments , and answers was difficult with them . Have dealt with a couple other dealers , one not that far away I’ll use if needed .

OP
OP
T

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If it worked before you had the windshield replaced

I would do as someone mentioned & check out the mirror housing, to make sure that the window installer did everything correctly

The installer has checked it again , this place has been there for around 30 years , they do a lot of windshields . At this point like you say I’ll have to have someone else check it out .

First I’m going to check with my insurance to see what they say .

thebuilderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hi , new to the forum .

Had my windshield replaced recently on my 2014 Ram Laramie . It has rain sensing wipers , with the 5 speed intermittent settings , and the auto dimming head lights . The new windshield is Mopar , not aftermarket. Problem now is that the rain sensing wipers works as they should , but the wipers cycle once every time the truck is started. This is something that it’s never done. Also the auto dimming doesn’t seem to want to work correctly . Sometimes I can get the brights on , other times not . I need to check a little further on them . Get on a road where I am not getting any reflections or lights anywhere.

I’ve had it back to the installer , checked all the connections etc , it’s a reputable place , but they can’t find the problems . I’m hoping someone has a solution to this , everything was okay before the new windshield . Been into the evic to make sure everything is turned on correctly .
I have the same issue with my BMW. After getting the windshield replaced the wiper cycle once when the vehicle started. Of course the week after I got the windshield replaced a rock kicked up and broke the new one and after several months I replaced that and the sensors have been behaving now. But now that I spoke about it I’m sure those same gremlins heard or will read this post and the problem will arise again.

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some cameras need to be recalibrated after the windshield replacement. The 2019 Limited is self calibrating but many older models aren't. My 06 Chrysler 300C Heritage needed recalibrating after windshield replacement. I would ask if they did the recalibration.

stoutbanana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same problem after the windshield was replaced by safelight

In rain sensing mode it would it work perfectly before the windshield was replaced, it was always on and it never worked unless it was raining

Now It will wipe when I start the engine occasionally the wipers will wipe while I am driving, just once every now and then. It is so annoying I took it back to safelite several times and even put a different windshield in I have given up, I will try the battery reset removing the negative terminal do for 20mins

OP
OP
T

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have the same problem after the windshield was replaced by safelight

In rain sensing mode it would it work perfectly before the windshield was replaced, it was always on and it never worked unless it was raining

Now It will wipe when I start the engine occasionally the wipers will wipe while I am driving, just once every now and then. It is so annoying I took it back to safelite several times and even put a different windshield in I have given up, I will try the battery reset removing the negative terminal do for 20mins
I have yet to do anything other then back to the installer. Yes its annoying , and it should work correctly . Let me know if you do the battery disconnect before I do , hopefully that will work . I’m thinking it’s the nature of the beast . It rained slightly the other day I drove it , it cycled once when I turned it on , and worked when it should have . It didn’t cycle when it didn’t need too, but it was a short drive .

Im afraid I’ll probably end up giving up also .

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have went back to the installer, they checked the connections , which is about all they can do . The windshield is a OEM , I suppose the sensor could be faulty , the only cure would be changing it out again .

I am going to assume you have a box looking module at the top centre of the windshield ?? If so, this would have to be re-programmed to ensure the wipers etc. work properly ...

OP
OP
T

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am going to assume you have a box looking module at the top centre of the windshield ?? If so, this would have to be re-programmed to ensure the wipers etc. work properly ...

I do ,and according to everything I have read ,and the installer it does not need programming. But I will for sure check with someone besides the installer . The installer told me that he's never had an issue ,this guy has been there for years ,he owns the business. He does all the work, its just a small one man shop. Its not like this is his first windshield replacement. Anytime you go by there he is busy.

OP
OP
T

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The more and more I read these posts the better I feel about trading in the option heavy Laramie for the bare bones Tradesman.

You have a point for sure , I could sure live without some of these options. To be honest ,I bought this truck new off the lot. Only thing I was really interested in was a new truck with the fifth wheel prep if it had it, it did . There are a few things I do want ,cruise control, intermittent wipers ,no need for the rain sensor, although I do want it to work now that I have it, air conditioning, decent radio, after that I am with you .

Not sure what options the tradesman has ,but I would assume it has a few like cruise control ,and air conditioning ?

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You have a point for sure , I could sure live without some of these options. To be honest ,I bought this truck new off the lot. Only thing I was really interested in was a new truck with the fifth wheel prep if it had it, it did . There are a few things I do want ,cruise control, intermittent wipers ,no need for the rain sensor, although I do want it to work now that I have it, air conditioning, decent radio, after that I am with you .

Not sure what options the tradesman has ,but I would assume it has a few like cruise control ,and air conditioning ?
Yes it has the basic things you mentioned. Radio is minimal but i do not even listen to it or use the bluetooth. Like you i just needed a new truck with my only needed item of BIG PAYLOAD. I also like that it has vinyl seats and vinyl flooring and Im not worrying about messing up leather seats and carpet like I use to.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Can you even buy a truck with out AC? I would be surprised, Sun Roof ,I never use, power everything, don't need it , but WTH? It took me a couple months to find out I had auto wipers, don't rain all that often . The Auto touch door handles are handy, never need to carry the key, unless locking the house up. Mind you , if computer goes south , you are screwed. Now that heated steering wheel, up here that is neat, could have used that on some tractors 50 yrs ago.

OP
OP
T

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Can you even buy a truck with out AC? I would be surprised, Sun Roof ,I never use, power everything, don't need it , but WTH? It took me a couple months to find out I had auto wipers, don't rain all that often . The Auto touch door handles are handy, never need to carry the key, unless locking the house up. Mind you , if computer goes south , you are screwed. Now that heated steering wheel, up here that is neat, could have used that on some tractors 50 yrs ago.
Most options are connivence , and we could certainly do without them , but we are spoiled . :)

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW, I've been out of the autoglass game for about a decade now, but when I was active, I never had to reprogram a rain sensor. Poorly applied sensor gel can cause havoc, as can bubbles between the gel and the glass and the gel and the sensor itself. I have seen wires installed poorly from the factory and they can get nicked or cut during the most careful install. I'm not saying this happened in this instance, but stranger things have happened.
Me? If this was my shop, we would remove the rain sensor, remove the gel, clean the glass on both sides where the gel would touch, clean the sensor, install a new gel pad or use the GGG brand gel/liquid, reinstall the rain sensor and test it.

YMMV

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Interesting.
Wife just had Safelite replace her windshield on Jeep GC. Rain sensor wiper didn't work. Different installer said the first guy used wrong "clips". He ordered new ones from Mopar and then the original installer came back to install them. rain sensor still didn't work. Different installer came out and said the gel had an air bubble. He took it apart and cleaned the windshield and supposedly got rid of the air bubble. The wipers will work sometimes the way they are supposed to and sometimes not. We just moved to another state and haven't had time to find a new Safelite shop around here.

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting.
Wife just had Safelite replace her windshield on Jeep GC. Rain sensor wiper didn't work. Different installer said the first guy used wrong "clips". He ordered new ones from Mopar and then the original installer came back to install them. rain sensor still didn't work. Different installer came out and said the gel had an air bubble. He took it apart and cleaned the windshield and supposedly got rid of the air bubble. The wipers will work sometimes the way they are supposed to and sometimes not. We just moved to another state and haven't had time to find a new Safelite shop around here.
"Clips" have nothing to do with the rain sensor, as you found out. It is all about the Gel disk, or the gel that is injected between the sensor and the glass, and the workmanship.
**** EDIT ********
If the clips were to attach the rain sensor to the glass, then I understand it, but that would mean that the first installer broke or bent the first ones and the second ones would have fixed it.

KR

Last edited:

thebuilderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have the same issue with my BMW. After getting the windshield replaced the wiper cycle once when the vehicle started. Of course the week after I got the windshield replaced a rock kicked up and broke the new one and after several months I replaced that and the sensors have been behaving now. But now that I spoke about it I’m sure those same gremlins heard or will read this post and the problem will arise again.
Well as I said the gremlins read the post and now when I start the Beemer the wiper cycles once!

OP
OP
T

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The more and more I read these posts the better I feel about trading in the option heavy Laramie for the bare bones Tradesman.

Been a little side tracked for a few days ,but you brought up options , I couldn't help myself , scored on a new set of Amp Steps for an unbelievable price the other day. So I splurged , and bought them. Have always wanted a set , my son runs them on his trucks, and have always like the getting in ,and out with them .

Anyway back to the windshield wiper saga, going to take it back over ,and have the installer take another look at it .