Newbie 2500 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I currently have a 17 1500 Bighorn 4x4 with 35k. I purchased it certified pre owned with 11k. I purchased this truck because I went to a car allowance instead of a company vehicle which was always a Ford F-150. My car allowance is not bad and it covers the complete cost of my 1500. I average around 25k to 30k per year almost all highway miles unloaded in FL and the Panhandle. I can keep my company vehicle as long as I want. I chose a 4x4 because I do spend a lot of time on large job sites and plants occasionally I will pick up some heavy product and return it or deliver it if it’s an emergency situation.

My thought process was I would like to have a larger truck for future needs (possible camper) and was looking at the Desiel due to possible longevity. Once the vehicle is paid for, it would have close to 160,000 to 170,000 but they would be all highway miles. I was dead set on a used 16 Big Horn MC 4x4 with 17k on it. But desiel price per gallon seem to be going up in the South and so shifted my thinking to the Hemi. In the end I will end up with a truck that has high miles but something I could still drive for a few more years. It will cost me a litle out of pocket to go to the HD. Maybe $200.00 a month but at least I can drive what I want. Any thoughts on choosing the Hemi over the Desiel? Could I get that kind of mileage without a lot of maintenance cost out of either one? Fuel mileage is something to think about as well because I get a flat rate plus a % per mile. Sorry for the long post just looking for some guidance on my dilemma.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Get a 2500 4x4 gasser. It’ll serve you extremely well for years n years. Plus it’s only $200 outta pocket. That’s like $50 a week for a new truck that’ll last to the 350K mile mark.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
If you do the math, the higher fuel prices go the more you benefit from a diesel. Lower fuel prices means less benefit for diesel.

Lets do the math on the 170k miles you stated and the average Fuelly for both vehicles which is 15.5 mpg for diesel and 12 mpg for the gasser. The average for regular unleaded currently seems to be around $2.80 and $3.20 for diesel in your area on Gasbuddy.

170,000 / 15.5 = 10,968 gallons used
10,968 x $3.20 = $35,097.60 DEF will add about another $500 over 170k miles.

170,000 / 12 = 14,167 gallons used
14,167 x $2.80 = $39,667.60

Oil/Fuel and other PM items are almost the same for the two. The diesel costs more per PM, but you will 11 oil/fuel filter changes(every 15k) over 170k miles in the diesel versus 21 in the gasser if you stick to the 8k interval. Hope that helps.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
By most estimations, it’ll take around 300k miles before a diesel starts to pay back. Not saying don’t do it, but just more info to be armed with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you guys for the reply. I have ran the math so many times. I figure my fuel numbers will be a little better because literally all my driving is hwy and I am not much of a lead foot. I guess I am a little nervous about the long term maintenance of the Desiel with all the epa stuff. Also have to consider the extra cost upfront of the Desiel vs the Hemi. Even in the used market seems to be about 6k difference between the two. Never owned a Desiel and always wanted one.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I have a 2500 with the 5.7. I can’t wait to get out of it. Gas is insane. And lack of power is becoming annoying as well. I can’t speak to a 6.4 I have never drove one. Yeah diesel will cost more but you’ll also have more back when it comes time to ever trade it in. I’m at $700 a month in gas. Can’t wait to get a Cummins. My buddy in nm traded his power stroke in for a 6.4. Had it one month and he’s now in a Cummins. You said camper. How often towing and stuff?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Diesel all the way for me. I had a gas 2500, couldn't get rid of it fast enough (and lost my shirt on it). Don't let the up front cost scare you, in the end the diesel will come out on top as the better value.
Also the diesel will hold it's value much much longer as the miles go up where the gas engine value will tank real quick as the miles go up.

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like your numbers SouthTexan but Desiel is up down here in FL. Pump by the house today. Desiel $3.25 Gas $2.66. Guys thank you for all the replies all good information.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mtnrider what kind of mileage you getting on the hwy unloaded?

My best tank unloaded was a little over 18 (hand calculated), but I do the speed limit+ (70-80). If you cruse at 65 it will go up. Some people get better then that but that's what I get. I don't do a ton of unloaded hwy driving though.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So average your using is 12 mpg on gasser? Im getting like 16 mpg on mine with 4.10 gears and its barely got any miles on it only on the 3rd tank of gas but that in the hills of northeast pa and doing 70-75 on the highway. This is all unloaded in a megacab 4x4 limited. I thought it was pretty good and my brother has a CC 2015 laramie with the 6.4 and he has had it for about a year now and averaging 15-16 depending on how much city driving.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So average your using is 12 mpg on gasser? Im getting like 16 mpg on mine with 4.10 gears and its barely got any miles on it only on the 3rd tank of gas but that in the hills of northeast pa and doing 70-75 on the highway. This is all unloaded in a megacab 4x4 limited. I thought it was pretty good and my brother has a CC 2015 laramie with the 6.4 and he has had it for about a year now and averaging 15-16 depending on how much city driving.

Very similar for me living in northern Utah with similar speeds. Mines a Laramie with 4.10s. I avg 12 with my current mostly in town driving. The first 2 years it was mostly highway, and I was seeing weeks at 16,17,18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry I just did this.. I bought a 2016 2500 4x4 cc lb with the 6.4 new.. It did an admirable job at towing 10K pound camper, I won't berate it
BUT I just swapped for a 2018 3500 diesel version the same truck and my lord what a difference.. Im getting about 2.5 MPG more towing, and about 4 more MPG empty, and the truck isn't even settled yet (470 miles) . Hills that would require a downshift to 3rd in the gasser are accelerated up in 5th with the diesel/ Accelerating from a dead stop, especially with an uphill, and the load gets moving pretty quick. Truck is much more relaxed.

I honestly have not enjoyed driving a vehicle this much in a very long time...and Honest to god, I giggle out loud on some of the hills, not to mention the exhaust brake works wonderfully on those downhills!

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

The 12 mpg was based on numbers from hand calculated numbers at Fuelly.com(Link---->
Ram 2500 MPG), not computer numbers since the computer is 1-3 mpg high for many people. This is has also been discussed in other threads with many 6.4L owners that have hand calculated saying about 12 mpg is normal for them with very few outliers.

Generally if one's driving style does better than average in one then they will do better than average in another so I tend you use averages rather then one offs.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I honestly have not enjoyed driving a vehicle this much in a very long time...and Honest to god, I giggle out loud on some of the hills, not to mention the exhaust brake works wonderfully on those downhills!

Wait until you tune it with a good trans tune. It will be ten times better then stock.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

The 12 mpg was based on numbers from hand calculated numbers at Fuelly.com(Link---->
Ram 2500 MPG), not computer numbers since the computer is 1-3 mpg high for many people. This is has also been discussed in other threads with many 6.4L owners that have hand calculated saying about 12 mpg is normal for them with very few outliers.

Generally if one's driving style does better than average in one then they will do better than average in another so I tend you use averages rather then one offs.

Yea I always hand calculate based on miles travled and amount of fuel added never bother even looking at the onboard average they are never close in any vehicle. Guess I drive like a grandpa lol

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I used to get mid 18s with my 15 powerstroke but honestly I dont miss diesel at all... I always used additives for it between that, draining the water from fuel filter monthly, 13 quart oil changes and the up front 9k premium for me I would have had to drive it close to 200k miles before it paid for itself with the increase in mileage since diesel up by me has always been well over 50 cents higher than even mid grade.

Not to mention all the epa crap on those things anymore and if you need to replace injectors or fuel system its big $$ thats why I went to gas. Dont get me wrong though having that 900+ ft lbs was fun but just not worth it to me.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I see similar city and highway/unloaded mpg out of my 17. It's all personal preference. For me...if you don't need the torque and your not towing heavy I would not buy a modern diesel. All the emissions bs to deal with, etc. But I just turned 7,000 miles on mine and 12/30 I'll have it 2 yrs. If your runnimg,30-40k ,miles a year that's a lot. If I was in your shoes I'd be Looking hard at the cummims.,

With that said i do like my 6.4. It has a lot of power and 18 mpg unloaded highway mpg ain't bad. For longevity, any modern vehicle that's well maintained should go 250k miles. I believe there are a number of 6.4s out there with well over 100k with minimal issues. Good luck

Last edited: