Newbie 2500 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure you check the idle hours. A 10% or less idle to total hours ratio is ideal, 15% is still okay, and stay away form anything 20% or more.

So I am still on the hunt. Found a really nice 18 Laramie Mega Cab with CTD. Has 19k on it. Here is a picture of the idle hours. Is this to much?

A2F353A3-18F9-47ED-ACD6-67826D068C02.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Obviously that is way more than 10% and the truck is only 6 months old.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Over a quarter of that trucks (short) life has been idling. What are they asking? I can't see buying a used 2018 unless they are giving it away. A new one can't be much more then what they want for that I bet.

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the truck come with service records ? What was the oci ?

I am sorry what is OCI? It has a Clean Car Fax. Looks like it will be Certified Preowned by Ram. Which is usually 7 year 100k. I did question the maintenance records because they are not showing on the Car Fax. The computer says the oil and fuel filters were changed 8k ago. They just took the truck in so it hasn’t made it to maintenance yet. It goes in tomorrow.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
$53k which you can’t get close to a Laramie Mega Cab new around here.

Here is the window sticker on that truck

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=3C6UR5NL4JG287824

$66,365 sticker price, First owner probably paid around $56k-$58K for it new. It's not a fully loaded Laramie so keep that in mind when comparing prices. My Big Horn was similarly equipt minus a few options like leather for a lot less. Not all Laramies are created equal

Some things to consider. Basic Warranty is up on that truck in 16K miles. Interest rates are higher on used vehicles vs new.

Add all this up and the numbers on a new truck may come out better then you think

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ What he said-

https://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/new-vehicles/#action=im_ajax_call&perform=get_results&page=1&make[]=Ram&model[]=2500&fueltype[]=Diesel+Fuel&trim[]=Laramie

And I am pretty sure they are still offering their 3rd party lifetime warranty for free.
Buy the $100 plane ticket, 60$ hotel room, fly out, save some money and break it in driving it home. 53k for a used truck is atrocious.

Thanks guys, yes they are just really hot in the South and unfortunately I have a trade, which is deprecating by the days due to the amount of miles I put on one. Plus it was involved in a minor accident which dinged the CARFAX. If I didn’t have to trade and had cash, it would be a totally different story. If I go at a CC instead I would be able to get a better deal for sure tons of them around.

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also that is just what they are asking so obviously I can get it lower. I can tell you that I had a deal going on a 17 MC Big Horn and I walked last minute due to the financing. They wanted 46K with 26k miles. It was sold two days later.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am sorry what is OCI? It has a Clean Car Fax. Looks like it will be Certified Preowned by Ram. Which is usually 7 year 100k. I did question the maintenance records because they are not showing on the Car Fax. The computer says the oil and fuel filters were changed 8k ago. They just took the truck in so it hasn’t made it to maintenance yet. It goes in tomorrow.

OCI is oil change interval. I'm not sure I would let the idle hours bother me. I would purchase the longest warranty available which is 8 years 120000 miles minus year in service and current mileage. I would also use whatever oil syn is using in his 6.7. his posts can be found in synthetic oil forum. He has also graciously answered my pm.

Btw, you might Google Chrysler warranties for the best price and see if your dealer will match. Good luck.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I get the idle wear and tear. But that’s not that much and I’m not sure I’d worry about it. Now if it was over 100k+ miles and it had 25% idle time I’d pass. Have you looked at new? Sad that used cost so much anymore. Diesels are almost worth buying new rather than used imo

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
So I am still on the hunt. Found a really nice 18 Laramie Mega Cab with CTD. Has 19k on it. Here is a picture of the idle hours. Is this to much?

View attachment 148343

That is almost a 23% idle time. With that many miles I would not worry too much about it. In the medium/heavy duty trucking industry I am in, we calculate one hour of idle time being equivalent to driving about 25-30 miles. If it has 50k miles on it and the same idle hour percentage, I would not even consider it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I agree. I posted it was a high percentage of idle hours but in the big pictures it's not a Lot of idle hours given the truck is so new.
Wonder what the truck was being used for? Looks like it was titled as a corporate vehicle originally. It's average moving speed was 51mph so it was either idling or on the highway running long trips. No running around town or stop and go traffic was done with that truck.