Newbie new truck looking for mentorship

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Winterwo1f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
400 bb
Hey reader,

I'm hoping to find an active community I can learn from.

I just got a 1988 w100 with a 400bb and i need to do quite a bit of work to it. I'm not a mechanic, I'm in cybersecurity.

The most I've done is some powerwheel upgrades and rebuilt a nightster into a rat bob.

Projects on my list in order:

1. Safety. Fix/replace seatbelts and probably put in a new bench seat
2. Re-gear rear. 4.56 or 4.10. (This will be a stretch goal for me. Lots of google)
3. Finish the exhaust. I did the bike exhaust but this will also be a new challenge.
4. Wipers. I'd like to put a more powerful modern solution in and only 1 is attached right now.
5. Lights. Probably upgrade everything to led
6. Fix 4x4 before winter. Need front axle.
7. Speedometer and dash fix
8. Ac/heat
9. Radio/sound
10. Whatever. Kc lights, new steering wheel.

So any pointers from you vets would be VERY appreciated. Where to get parts, any videos to watch, what brands to get or avoid. Things I should check for. Etc...

Also it came with decepticon badges so.. it needs a name. Help?Screenshot_20220504-101324_Facebook.jpg

Thanks!

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the Ram Family!

First and foremost, if you are mechanically inclined at all, basic maintenance shouldn't be a problem for you. This will get you more familiar with your truck. If you already have done this on your other vehicles, things like brakes, exhaust, oil changes, etc. then this part should be easy. If you haven't already thought of this, a purchase of a *good* maintenance manual would be a good investment to make, something like a Haynes or Chiltons are 2 of the better known ones I am aware of. Depending on how in depth you want to get, you could spring for a service manual from the manufacturer, and that will get way more in depth on the entire vehicle. But be aware, usually the Haynes/Chiltons route is in the 10s of $, the service manuals are in the 100s.

The rest of it, again, depending on your mechanical abilities, all sound doable. Try taking on the smaller skill items first, like the exhaust, since there have been many people out there doing this already, the support, if needed, is built up from a lot more people. With the stock position lights, it could be something as simple as replacing a bulb with an LED unit, or there could be more issues, depending on what is wrong. Are there issues with the lights, or do you just want to upgrade them?

Replacing an axle is generally a more skilled job requirement, but it is doable. Simplest way is to scout your local reputable junkyards, and try to find a wrecked vehicle that has at least the same configuration as yours, front wheels drive assembly, same mounting points, etc. If you get lucky, you might find one that already has the gearing you want in it, but be aware, both the front and rear axle ratios need to match on a 4x4 vehicle, otherwise you are just opening yourself up for huge issues down the road.

Edit: Oh, one more thing on the larger complexity projects, like replacing an axle. If you have a friend (or friends) who are also either outright or at least closet gearheads, enlisting their help would be a good idea. If this vehicle is a project vehicle or your daily driver also makes a difference. If it is a project vehicle, then you can take your time working on it, and a project that takes all weekend wouldn't be an issue. If it is your daily driver, then you need to work within the timeline of things you can complete on a weekend, and get done by Monday in time to get to work. Some of those projects will take quite a bit of skill to get done in a short amount of time, and might not be able for you to complete on a weekend, and you don't want to leave your daily driver in an unusable state.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Don't buy a Chiton or Haynes that you will find in the stores
They skip to much critical info

WE will read them & think in our minds
What the heck are they describing ?

There are Chiltons Manuals that are 2 1/2" thick
Another company is Motor Manuals, they are also 2 1/2" thick
Then there are the actual Shop repair manuals & with those, it is good to also look for Supplements, which are updated notes

One source is the public library, but you can find them at Automotive Swap Meets & private sales like

this CD

Then there is this actual shop manual

I used to go to automotive swap meets & buy 2 of the same book
I have shelves of repair manuals for Ford & GM from around 1940s - 1980s

One book for when my fingers may not be completely clean & another book that was not touched, unless my hands were scrubbed

Last edited:

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't buy a Chiton or Haynes that you will find in the stores
They skip to much critical info

I used to go to automotive swap meets & buy 2 of the same book
I have shelves of repair manuals for Ford & GM from around 1940s - 1980s

One book for when my fingers may not be completely clean & another book that was not touched, unless my hands were scrubbed
Again, that is why I qualified it with "depends on how in depth you want to get". The level of information that someone wants might be fine for that level of detail, and if they are just starting out on this truck, that might be just right to ease them into it. Once they get more experience working on their vehicle, THEN they could move up to the service manual, or the 2.5" thick Chiltons. Remember, they already said they are not a mechanic, so that auto parts store manual might be just their speed.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Well from the looks of that truck I'll .. Get to the gas station before it goes up again.
Looks like most of the work has been done for you .
& AS I read your post It's a 400 Big Block .. SO DON'T TEAR IT Down & look for parts but if you want more motor . I believe you can slip a 440BB in place of that 400.
Now you'll NEED to really ask & make sure your intake up will fit onto those old 440 heads..

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow .. that picture of your truck brings back so many memories.. I had a 1980 PW in white. By the looks of it our truck has had a lot of work done to it already, the guys above have put you in the right direction. The gears are more then likely 4.10's but those are not stock tires so if you have the money get 4.56 but for the most part this would be the last thing to do. Make sure to keep us posted on your progress with pictures too. Nice truck